27 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Mullard 6080? I got them too recently and there my favourite so far, however just received the Bendix 6080WB from the very kind @BlueOceanBoy this morning so will be putting that through its paces and doing some comparisons. Also received the RCA 6as7g too.

Yeah Odyssey told me to get them as it was $100 for pair delivered from eBay :) never had tube so still learning but yeah this is going to expensive hobby, which was already expensive 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

minunat    

He is shadey like A2As B-Stock specials.   Dont tell anyone, but I think A2A B-Stock is just Neil's returns.

Shootout #2 Previous caveats apply: Gustard A22 vs Sonnet Morpheus So, the Sonnet comfortably saw off the Giesler Kompakt in tonality, imaging and depth, albeit close though. The A22 is

10 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I can get @JimmyBoy to come along. He's got gear !

Will also ask @Mightygrey to come along. We need a reviewer. 🙂

At least someone will bring the rock and roll and good coffee 

5 minutes ago, xtiva2000 said:

Yeah Odyssey told me to get them as it was $100 for pair delivered from eBay :) never had tube so still learning but yeah this is going to expensive hobby, which was already expensive 

Ah lucky you, thats  a great price. I paid bit more than $170 for my pair, got too impatient to wait for a deal.

Spend some time with the Mullards and let us know how you feel about them and what kind of sound you want to go for, as to me the Mullards are very detailed, airy and has good soundstage.

4 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Ah lucky you, thats  a great price. I paid bit more than $170 for my pair, got too impatient to wait for a deal.

Spend some time with the Mullards and let us know how you feel about them and what kind of sound you want to go for, as to me the Mullards are very detailed, airy and has good soundstage

Oh yeah I wouldn't know if it was cheap or not but trusted @Odyssey... 

seller is selling same one for $170 now.....

Yeah will try.. what i am looking for is detail and sound stage, width and depth...... current head amp, has great sound stage for solid state amp... so hopefully it will have much better width and depth.. may be not as good as Odyssey's WA22, with Tungsol,  but hope LF with Mullards  is close to it..

Edited by xtiva2000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Hugo can come along and bring his truck full of gear. @hardinge 

I'm in! Is a date set yet? 

And I've got Roon endpoints coming out of my ears. Always useful at a meetup. 

1 minute ago, xtiva2000 said:

Yeah will try.. what i am looking for is detail and sound stage, width and depth...... current head amp, has great sound stage for solid state amp... so hopefully it will have much better width and depth.. may be not as good as Odyssey's WA22, with Tungsol,  but hope LF with Mullards  is close to it..

You compare LF339 and Wa22 at my place when the amp comes. Will set it up with good tubes for both. FWIW, I prefer LF339 over Wa22 because there's more punch and energy from LF339.

I can certainly vouch for @peppy’s house being the best home for a meet. Lots of space to layout gear and mingle. 

If we are seriously looking to do this soon, I’ll join with Anu in setting this up properly. Hiring tables, arranging power, etc. 

I spend every second weekend there anyway (so I can also vouch for the mans cooking!) 😂 

1 minute ago, hardinge said:

I'm in! Is a date set yet? 

And I've got Roon endpoints coming out of my ears. Always useful at a meetup. 

We need restrictions to be lifted first. 🙂

.... and bring along some goodies. Let me see... what do I want to hear....  Abyss ab 1266 phi TC with Formula S + Powerman 🙂 

2 minutes ago, elisix_ said:

I spend every second weekend there anyway (so I can also vouch for the mans cooking!) 😂 

🤣 👍🏼

6 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

You compare LF339 and Wa22 at my place when the amp comes. Will set it up with good tubes for both. FWIW, I prefer LF339 over Wa22 because there's more punch and energy from LF339.

Oh thanks :) can't wait

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Abyss ab 1266 phi TC with Formula S + Powerman

Ha. Not me! How about a Bigger Ben?! Cos your current Ben is way too small!

Coming in a few weeks...

image.png.69d07edeac9d8538262576ae6c8b86f4.png

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hardinge said:

Coming in a few weeks...

Amazing.... subscribed

1 hour ago, bruc3 said:

Mullard 6080? I got them too recently and there my favourite so far, however just received the Bendix 6080WB from the very kind @BlueOceanBoy this morning so will be putting that through its paces and doing some comparisons. Also received the RCA 6as7g too.

@Odyssey is there any issues with me swapping tubes while their hot still (besides obviously the risk of burning my hands)? Like any potential risk of damage to the tubes or amp by doing that?

I have been waiting for tubes to cool down before I swap em in or out, but that just takes too long and makes it bit difficult to do comparisons between tubes.

If they are the graphite slotted plates from Neil, they previously came from somewhere in the Mediterranean (fun fact).  I can’t remember if it was from a seller on a Greek island or Italy

via, sydney (me) to Neil

Interesting tubes - weighted sound and weighted tubes. No grain. 

i personally ranked them behind my beloved gec6as7g, we421a, (maybe the chatham/ts 5998 - they have never wowed me), and then these 6080wb

after that, i found, details go down, grain can go up, but price also goes down

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Ccollins said:

If they are the graphite slotted plates from Neil, they previously came from somewhere in the Mediterranean (fun fact).  I can’t remember if it was from a seller on a Greek island or Italy

via, sydney (me) to Neil

Interesting tubes - weighted sound and weighted tubes. No grain. 

i personally ranked them behind my beloved gec6as7g, we421a, (maybe the chatham/ts 5998 - they have never wowed me), and then these 6080wb

after that, i found, details go down, grain can go up, but price also goes down

Spot on Collins. I agree with you on those rankings of tubes and I'm familiar with them all. Is this Greek guy name Starvos ? I bought my pair of GEC 6a7sg curve brown base NOS and brand new with perfect readings in GEC original boxes, from him. Paid US$500 for it. SO quiet tubes and great sound.

Edited by Odyssey
Just now, Odyssey said:

Spot Collins. I agree with you on those rankings of tubes and I'm familiar with them all. Is this Greek guy name Starvos ? I bought my pair of GEC 6a7sg curve brown base NOS and brand new with perfect readings in GEC original boxes. Paid US$500 for it. SO quiet tubes and great sound.

Im thinking you mean Stavros (as a name). 

not sure as I bought them a while ago but i never used them much. The gec6as7g get 95% of my listening - essentially plug in and leave them there. No need for tube rolling in that regard

10 minutes ago, Ccollins said:

Im thinking you mean Stavros (as a name). 

Yes that's him. He has a lot of tubes in his collection but I think he eventually sold them all.

1 hour ago, hardinge said:

Coming in a few weeks...

That photo is so beautiful Hugo. Just had a call from my friend from India. A head-fi nut who has been through so many gear. Said he owns a Mogwai Se before and love it but his friend came over to his house to have a listen and wouldn't leave until he bought over the amp. Told me the Mogwai Se has a lot of slam and hits really hard. Is quite neutral with a touch of tube tone. Exactly how Neil describes to me. 

I'm getting quite fascinated with it now.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Odyssey said:

@Tarzan  absolutely. Lf339 and Wa22 are transformed with the 'right' tubes. 

Though I said there that I prefer LF339 over Wa22, there's not much going there. OTL and transformer coupled amps just don't sound the same. The reason I kept Wa22 for so long is because I've good tubes for it and even though I sold off Glenn OTL amp and Studio Six, I'm ok because I still have these 2 amps and they are highly regarded by me.

Now interested in the Mogwai Se later ... not so soon. 🙂 Interested because KT88 and EL34 will sound different. Better is a matter of individuals preference but different definitely. However knowing that I like slam, I believe the Mogwai Se will be up my alley. Looking for the slam dunk. 

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Just moved house and depending on room availability / layout my horn system may not be put back into service…… As this is a possibility I’ve started to think about a good headphone setup. Heard a Stax setup many, many years ago and thought it was very good. My whole understanding of how really good hifi can sound and make you feel has developed a lot since then, my concern now is that headphones won’t be able to fully portray the “being there” feeling. No body or slam to the music, you know when you crank up Pink Floyd and you feel the music as much as hear it.

What do you guys think about my concerns? Do you still feel the music?

I’m thinking of a Stax system as this was a dream of mine long ago before I could afford them, but I know there are many other very good headphone out there that don’t need the dedicated HV driver this means I could still play in the DIY world and build the amp.

Would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Cheers Dave

12 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I can get @JimmyBoy to come along. He's got gear !

Will also ask @Mightygrey to come along. We need a reviewer. 🙂

Yeah I'd be keen. I have a ton of interesting cans at the moment:

- Final D8000

- Fostex TH909

- Focal Stellia/Radiance/Clear

- Grado Hemp/White/Turbulent X

- Audio Technica ATH-WP900

I'll bring along my CMA600i + Bifrost 2/Asgard 3 stack, maybe my Crack + Speedball if there's any interesting high-Z cans there on the day. Maybe the Arche if I'm packing the Focal gear. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Now interested in the Mogwai Se later ... not so soon. 🙂 Interested because KT88 and EL34 will sound different

I run a few different tubes in my Mogwai. Gold Lion KT88/77 and vintage Siemens and GE EL34. The EL34s are very musical and more "tube" like in their presentation. Great for smoky jazz club sessions. KT77/88 bring in punch and slam - which Mogwai does well. Better for rock. I feel like the KT77s - Genelex new production Gold Lions are the sweet spot in many ways. KT88 can be a bit too bright and punchy, the El34s a bit lazy and hazy. Fun to roll them. My go to on driver is a TS 6SL7 and a EZ34 Mullard rectifier. I don't change these much. Although, there are plenty of alternatives.

17 minutes ago, nzlowie said:

I’m thinking of a Stax system as this was a dream of mine long ago before I could afford them, but I know there are many other very good headphone out there that don’t need the dedicated HV driver this means I could still play in the DIY world and build the amp

Hey Dave - I got into the Stax recently too. I really love the LR-700MK2 with 006Ts. Fantastic for piano based tracks, jazz and orchestral. Replaced my HD800s!! Going up the food chain to 007MK2 - I just don't have an energiser that can fully drive these. They need Mjolnir/Gilmore type power. I have heard the 009s and they are magical on the right amp. That Gilmore circuit isn't patented, so you can build one!

1 hour ago, nzlowie said:

Hi guys,

Just moved house and depending on room availability / layout my horn system may not be put back into service…… As this is a possibility I’ve started to think about a good headphone setup. Heard a Stax setup many, many years ago and thought it was very good. My whole understanding of how really good hifi can sound and make you feel has developed a lot since then, my concern now is that headphones won’t be able to fully portray the “being there” feeling. No body or slam to the music, you know when you crank up Pink Floyd and you feel the music as much as hear it.

I’m thinking of a Stax system as this was a dream of mine long ago before I could afford them, but I know there are many other very good headphone out there that don’t need the dedicated HV driver this means I could still play in the DIY world and build the amp.

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm into Pink Floyd amongst other music. I've heard the Blue Hawaii Se with SR009 and SR007 plus HE60 - system belongs to Wink and head Yggdrasil connected to it. I remembered he played 'Pink Panther' from the musical on a good recording and I was very impressed with the precision and clarity. Does it have body and slam... yes but no where near what I heard 3 weeks ago at Minidisc. The system then was Qutest > Auris Nirvana > Audeze LCD-4. Now that has real body and slam. 

There are other routes to achieving body and slam and I believe Mogwai Se is an amp that will achieve that. Even the Schiit Mjolnir 2 has the slam but maybe not so much the body. Pink Floyd and associated genres are best with a tube amp imo but a Violectric v280 can achieve that as well. Strapped on a LCD-3f and it will achieve what you're after. There are just so many other amps and headphones that will do that. I'll let the others chime in.

1 hour ago, nzlowie said:

Hi guys,

Cheers Dave

Having had a few decent headphones in recent times (eg utopia, susvaras, empyreans, but no stax) and a decent overall headphone setup you still won’t physically feel Hotel California in this format

You’ll still be able to hear very good detail, texture, nuances, placement (in a headphone kind of way), and maybe your ears may even rumble/tingle/wobble whilst you’re back teeth float around a little (eg with an lcd4) but that true feel/physical impact is always not there - just as logic would suggest - IMHO

image.jpeg.5c4fb35af5f9411ebf7ee977fadb9a14.jpeg

Edited by Ccollins

Ok just realise that Dave's talking about speakers vs headphones. They are different experience. A good stereo setup hits you with impact in a very different way from even a good headphone setup. 

3 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Ok just realise that Dave's talking about speakers vs headphones. They are different experience. A good stereo setup hits you with impact in a very different way from even a good headphone setup. 

Correct. I think I'll just have to audition some reasonable setups and see if I can live without the slam and feel one gets from speakers. Over the years I've only listened to very average headphones, so until I really experience good quality I won't rush into it. Maybe the improved clarity and quality of a good setup might out weigh the missing slam of speakers..... 

People spend mega dollars on head fi so they must feel its justified. Just a different type of experience maybe?

Thanks for your thoughts   

With a headphone setup, you are not plagued with room acoustics which is very important in a very good stereo system. With a nice dac, amp and a good pair of headphones, the enjoyment is there no doubt. On a top headphone setup, clarity and details are astounding. Takes me some time initially to like wearing headphones and that was back in 2015. However once you're used to it, it's not a problem. 

Other benefits are of course you can play it loud without annoying your neighbours or even your immediate family. That setup I heard at Minidisc does hit me in the chest on some heavy bass tracks. So I wasn't quite exaggerating that it was a bit akin to speaker like bass but in a very minute way by comparison.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, nzlowie said:

People spend mega dollars on head fi so they must feel its justified. Just a different type of experience maybe?

I have never heard a really good speaker setup before so not sure exactly what I am missing out on.

The reason I stick mostly with headphones though is one: its convenient and cheaper not having to worry about "sound proofing" my room, and two: because I live in an apartment and I think other people around me may not always appreciate the music I listen to, hence why headphones works for me.

Maybe when I can afford to buy a house (not an apartment) and setup proper sound proofing then I can start my journey into speakers. :)

• Like 1

You could spend 30k on a TOTL headphone setup and it won't scratch the surface of a mid level, let alone TOTL 2ch setup - that's why I steer clear lol

I actually thought that my stereo setup of Rega RP8 with Apheta cartridge, Avid Pellar phono stage, Sansui au alpha 907mr and Axis LS88 sounded pretty good but I spend all my time with my 'not so expensive' headphone setup. 🙂

Reason 1) It's more convenient to use the headphone setup.

2) Won't disturb the family.

3) It actually sound very good to my ears - the headphone setups that is.

4) I can switch amps and headphones on the fly. 🙂

1 hour ago, elisix_ said:

You could spend 30k on a TOTL headphone setup and it won't scratch the surface of a mid level, let alone TOTL 2ch setup - that's why I steer clear lol

Resolution =/= Enjoyment though.

$10,000 speaker system with the ability to play it at sufficient volume is way more enjoyable than a $3,000 headphone :D

Also bigger is always better. So I've been told.

8 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Resolution =/= Enjoyment though.

$10,000 speaker system with the ability to play it at sufficient volume is way more enjoyable than a $3,000 headphone :D

Also bigger is always better. So I've been told.

Nothing wrong with 5 inch speakers from my point of view

image.jpeg.c53083e2b8067ac19f91b80b404d37d4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Ccollins said:

image.jpeg.c53083e2b8067ac19f91b80b404d37d4.jpeg

Carry on listening! Hattie and Kenneth! Legends.

Just put on Pink Floyd on my stereo and wonder why I don't play it more. 

Alright it's a jumble sale now for all my head-fi gear ! 

6 minutes ago, Ccollins said:

Meh you need Tannoy Westminster Royal.

I just received my balanced cable from @Bengineer, I am very happy with the end result, as I was a bit picky/particular with the cable and also wanted something cheaper but still of good quality, and he was able to deliver exactly what I was looking for.

Ima707GA.thumb.jpg.e55da2a249fb90fa85a4b087c8ab794d.jpg

• Like 2

I was looking to get a cable from him to connect my headphones to speaker taps. Want to blast it with my Sansui.

9 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I was looking to get a cable from him to connect my headphones to speaker taps. Want to blast it with my Sansui.

Good things take time.

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

There are a few threads on Headfi with people doing exactly this, and apparently raving about how it sounds great and bests even dedicated headphone amps.

Seems bit scary, since there would be crazy amount of power to easily blow the drivers  but guess it could give power hungry headphones that bit more.