• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shootout #2 Previous caveats apply: Gustard A22 vs Sonnet Morpheus So, the Sonnet comfortably saw off the Giesler Kompakt in tonality, imaging and depth, albeit close though. The A22 is

He1000se arrived and I've been listening for an hour. Initial thoughts are that this is my kind of headphone. Imaging and soundstage stood out but so are details and clarity. Bass is not as pronounced

The transformers are ginormous. From early listening makes for very effortless sound.   

Nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon 🙂

Did you try the Qutest >Mscaler > amp(?) with either headphones? I've read that some who have owned both the TT2 and the Qutest have preferred the sound of Qutest > Mscaler, and therefore sold the TT2.

25 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I decide to buy all 3 Questyle amps. Why not.

IMG_1696.jpg

Why not indeed. You only live once. Or twice If you are James Bond.

No I did not. Didn't want to trouble Wing further or he might hand me the keys to the shop and say, 'Help yourself'.

It wasn't exactly apples to apples comparison.

Setup One 3 weeks ago:-

Qutest > Auris Nirvana > LCD-4

Setup Two today:-

Chord Hugo TT2 > M Scaler > Auris Nirvana > Susvara

Both are amazing and I'll take Setup Two plus LCD-4. 🙂 That would be AUD $38,000 cheap cheap. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Niktech said:

I've read that some who have owned both the TT2 and the Qutest have preferred the sound of Qutest > Mscaler, and therefore sold the TT2.

I find that hard to believe. Rob improve on the Qutest to get the Hugo TT2. Whatever it is, I'll take the TT2 + MScalar even if it sounds crap because it's just smacksie in looks.

21 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I find that hard to believe. Rob improve on the Qutest to get the Hugo TT2. Whatever it is, I'll take the TT2 + MScalar even if it sounds crap because it's just smacksie in looks.

I think it was on Audiophile Style, it was some time ago.

I've read it a few times too.

Comes down to synergy, TT2 may push more details, but doesn't mean it sounds better to people!

No point reading. Have to hear it for yourself. Did TT2 sound better than Qutest? TT2 with MScalar definitely sound better than Qutest alone - to my ears. Never tried Qutest with MScalar so wouldn't know. It would be an unlikely combination though.

For the record, I would have been very happy with just Qutest, even though I have Yggdrasil. Does it sound better than Yggy? I'm biased so I would say no but nevertheless Qutest is very good. 🙂

Did not like TT2 + MScalar by itself with Susvara but with Auris Nirvana then it's different but I think it's way too expensive to enjoy it.  My present gear gives me satisfaction no less, not trying to console myself. I'm not influenced by price either.

I go on weight! If it's heavy, to me that means quality. Heavier power supplies, wiring, casing, shielding etc. I hate it when I buy a piece of kit and it weighs about as much as a slice of cheese!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not for headphones though. Heavy headphones means sore necks. However I'm willing to have sore necks just to use LCD-3f. 🙂

I go for sound actually - according to my preference and I do like distortions from tubes.

2 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I go for sound actually

Oh that's right! That's what we do - and here's me looking at all of the pretty lights! What a noob!

• Haha 1

Youngest one down for a nap, oldest watching TV. Booyah!

@BlueOceanBoy Thanks for the Utopia loaner. Help make sure I got the Lemo sitting right and it's good to test it. Tight little connectors, but seem quality.

20210117_123747.jpg

20210117_123751.jpg

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

I couldn't make any cheaper though, the braiding just takes too long. You can actually order that Forza wore direct hey. Make your own versions.

I tired a 4 wire braid, got depression.

Can't imagine repercussions attempting the 8 wire.

They are nice cables.

The Noir I think is twisted pair of wires, sleeved in the black paracord, then a 4 braid to split, twisted pair to cup?

Yeah it is. The Hybrid uses a blend of Copper and Silver.

They sell their copper by the metre. Around $7.50 AUD per metre.

2m cables, 8 runs, bit of extra due to braiding. Call it 18m at least. $130-140 AUD just in wire. Black Dragon toucher cheaper, Cardas 4x24 touch more. But both without the braiding and sleeving labour aspect.

Edited by Bengineer

Correct. It's Forza's top model. Silver/copper blend and sleeved in black paracord. Rest as you describe. Similar in looks to the back cable I post above but that is the 2nd model - Noir HPC Mk2 and use for my HD800. The clear sleeve cable Claire Hybrid HPC in the picture is use for my Audeze and at one time ZMF Verite O.

I've been tempted to de-jacket the black dragon and do a sleeved version, either single run or break it apart further and sleeve and braid. Just an expensive experiment, ya know.

5 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Look at this bad boy @Odyssey

22 AWG strands of pure silver 😮

4 of those in a braided setup.

https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/product-page/silver-cotton

Yes something like that. If the end result is thicker will look even better but I guess that is good enough. Pure silver I might be keen. I heard it will make Hekse into a Susvara. 🙂

Haha. It may do 😜

After enough rums I might consider a 4 braid, but you'll never convince me to do a 8 braid. I watched a few tutorials, does not look enjoyable or rewarding.

22 AWG is decent, but they all seem to have substaintial cotton filler in the cores, so I doubt you're getting much physical wire in them. Part of the reason they are so soft too. Black Dragon is a solid 21.5 AWG or damn close, lot of copper there.

You need to get a machine to do 8 braid. Then you just sit back and watch Netflix while it braids. 8 braids is the killer in looks. 

Yeah, 8 braid is the go for looks.

And I think needed to get enough metal in the cable with these cotton filled 24awg wires 

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

They are nice cables.

The Noir I think is twisted pair of wires, sleeved in the black paracord, then a 4 braid to split, twisted pair to cup?

Yeah it is. The Hybrid uses a blend of Copper and Silver.

They sell their copper by the metre. Around $7.50 AUD per metre.

2m cables, 8 runs, bit of extra due to braiding. Call it 18m at least. $130-140 AUD just in wire. Black Dragon toucher cheaper, Cardas 4x24 touch more. But both without the braiding and sleeving labour aspect.

Hey Ben;

Could you face re-terminating a noir hpc from single lemo 3 pin to 2 x 3.5 mm ?

Hey Ben have you tried Belden 1804A 100m roll for $345 from Mouser it's 3mm OD, silver plated copper I made a few cables with it for myself and it sounds fantastic it's 4-core 2x blue 2x White wires I joined the 2x blues together & the 2x Whites together and ran two length's to get your R-L lines, Check it out bud.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Yetiman said:

Hey Ben have you tried Belden 1804A 100m roll for $345 from Mouser it's 3mm OD, silver plated copper I made a few cables with it for myself and it sounds fantastic it's 4-core 2x blue 2x White wires I joined the 2x blues together & the 2x Whites together and ran two length's to get your R-L lines, Check it out bud.

Actually have a sample of it here. Been too busy making other stuff. It's a tinned copper mini star quad yeah? Will look into it more, has the silver buzz word but not the OFC buzz word :P

Yeah mate it's Good stuff IMO, Gave a bit more detail compared to other cables I've used,

quite flexible strong and is shielded ..

It had to happen... sold off everything !!! left Topping D10, SMSL SP200 and my Audeze LCD-3f. I'm content now. No more endless upgrading. This is end game.

IMG_1712.jpg

• Haha 1

Is the LCD3 really that good? I need to listen again. 

I wonder if it's worth owning alongside Empyrean. 

Hmmm...