Nope stole it from the Internet

That was pretty misleading >_<

While we are at it, I may as well post a quick snap of my modest setup :P

Sennheiser_Headphones.jpg

Edited by bruc3

2 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

And waste a whole year without it?

Foolish !

I believe in sampling the fruits slowly. My CMA 12 is 2 days old. Hekse is also 2 days old. LF339 is less than 3 months old. v280 is not even here. And I am or was thinking of getting the improved DNA Stratus. That is so old news now. What about the Auris Nirvana that made me drink coke? Nirvana and LCD-4 is pure ecstasy in chocolate shakes with strawberry and some rum or a lot of rum !

If I aim for the top straight away, there will be nothing after that. I will have to go back to my earbuds - $120 Sennheiser Momentum that is.

There are 5 headphones now that are considered TOTL. Abyss ab-1266 phi tc, Susvara, LCD-4, Utopia, Final D8000 Pro. Yet if you ask 5 keen audio enthusiasts which one is the best, you're probably going to get different answers.

Most might say Susvara. Then they would debate which amplifier drives it best. Some even advocate speaker amps. What about dac accompanying that? 

Then there are those who claim that hd650 is the best. They are not wrong because they are entitled to that opinion. 

For me right now, Hekse off CMA 12 is enough for me. Do I need better? No. ?

Ask me in 3 months time and it will be a different story.

Notice I did not even mention ZMF Verite. Had that, done that and I move on. But I won't discourage others from loving it because I had love it at one time - very much.

• Like 2

Listening to 'Leader of the Band' by Dan Fogelburg, singing on the Queen Mary 2, in memory of his father, Hekse captures all the emotion of his voice and the lyrics came alive.

Dan say if he could write only one song, it would be this song. If I could only have one headphone it would be HEKse. I came to that conclusion after 3 days of listening to music all through NYE and the New Year. Mostly I sat using these 3 headphones of Hekse, HD800 and LCD-X. The HiFiMan took the best of the Senns and the Audeze and the outcome is the Hekse and then some. 

IMG_1652.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

The HiFiMan took the best of the Senns and the Audeze and the outcome is the Hekse and then some.

I feel as if HiFiMan in as a brand in general really do that well. You have the more analytical, hyper-detailed presentation of a Sennheiser HD800S, and then the more full bodied, musical, smooth and lush experience of an Audeze, then you have HiFiMan - which takes just the right amount of both of those qualities and injects them into all their headphones at different price points. For that reason, it's why HiFiMan are my favourite brand.

That being said, I would love to try a HE1000 family headphone, I absolutely love my Edition X v2, and can only imagine the improvement the HE1000s are with just a little bit more treble up the top (I find my HEXv2 a little too laid back at times) and a clear step up in resolving capabilities.

Edited by virtua

Once you have heard the Hekse, there's no going back. Guy in the Head-Fi thread said he sold his beloved Verite Ironwood after listening to the Hekse with his EC Studio Jr. 

I may have to get 2 in case I wear out the Hekse I'm using from too much use. ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

One thing I find pretty amusing is out of all the higher end headphones I've seen, the ones I see plenty on the used market coming up looking very well pre-loved are HE1000's - you can really tell they had plenty of head time and for good reason lol. I see this happening quite a bit with Edition X's too

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Once you have heard the Hekse, there's no going back. Guy in the Head-Fi thread said he sold his beloved Verite Ironwood after listening to the Hekse with his EC Studio Jr. 

What is the build quality like with the top-end Hifiman ? I've read that in their lower offerings the build seems to have been a little rushed.

What I like best is that Hekse works like a charm with iPhone on Tidal, Spotify and Youtube Premium Music. Throw in Apple Music and you have music on the go. 

The sound is incredible from the humble iPhone. I could live with it. A day in the park by the lake, listening to music as you watch the people go by. Life is good.

32cd3d05-a577-4270-b0cc-9e4682ea0629.JPG

27 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

The sound is incredible from the humble iPhone. I could live with it. A day in the park by the lake, listening to music as you watch the people go by. Life is good.

Maybe you should get rid of your desktop gear and go for something like the Woo WA8; small, portable and tube magic.

5 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Maybe you should get rid of your desktop gear and go for something like the Woo WA8; small, portable and tube magic.

No I won't. I'll save up for a Susvara and Woo Audio WA33 standard edition with some nice tubes. Then I'm done. ?

• Like 1

Been investigating NOS (non oversampling) R2R DACs in the last couple of weeks. I've spent so much time with Delta-Sigmas and currently I prefer AKM. Now I've had R2R with Denafrips (OS and NOS) and I found the Pontus to be a bit muddy and sometimes a bit dry. I preferred NOS on that amp. I tried some DSD on that DAC and didn't find it any better, even though fed by I2S. I've also had Schiit MB which uses a DAC chip with multiple resistors rather than a resistor ladder but amounts to the same pretty much. Again, not sure I found there was the detail I was looking for. I've found Chord's FGPA implementation to provide both musicality and detail in TT2 and H2. I had some issues with TT2 and sold it and H2 is my portable go to. So, I may go Qutest but am going to try the Sonnet Morpheus for a longer spell to see what that is like as a pure NOS DAC with both tube, SS and stat amps. H2 is just a portable version of Qutest (or vice versa), so A-B with H2/AKM will tell me a lot. The usual caveats apply, I'm strictly HeadFi, I'm old and only use Roon. As part of my research, I came across this article:

https://mojo-audio.com/blog/the-24bit-delusion/

• Like 3