General Headphone Chat

On 12/07/2019 at 2:26 AM, dalethorn said:

I have a new v-moda M100 "Master" on the way (I was the first independent reviewer who got the original M100 moved from the headfi Portables topic to Full-size headphones, before v-moda signed on there and took over the heavy lifting). This has an all-new driver by Roland, so I'm hoping the narrow 5 khz recess doesn't exist in this new Master edition.

any update dalethorn? I'm looking at buying a V-Moda over-ears set, to replace Nuraphone without the in-ear part ( 1. comfortable for maximum 2 days in a row, & that's without heavy usage/day, 2. NuraNow eg $18/month is for all your life... if you stop the membership, you need to return 1 or more pairs of headphones to them (they send you 1 more pair every 2 years, but you never own any if through NuraNow contract... I have sent the Nuraphone headphones back using a return authorisation # they provided by email, in order to discontinue the $18/month... also I am not convinced to by them at $549 outright, because I believe NuraNow would somehow be still required [the app checks occasionally for membership status, before you can control Social Mode & immersion reliably] )

Key things for V-Moda / alternative, for me personally  = A. great with phone-calls (without having to change to talking into the phone instead), B. wired (no matter only wired, or has option of wired), C. great experience of bass, preferably with Equalisation control eg through an app or computer, D. below AUD $1,000

-Mike

11 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Help me decide.

Need a DAC with 2 outputs, cheapish, good.

SMSL SU8 seems to fit the best?

Great DAC have over myself, day you were also looking at the topping d50s which is a good choice. Sent you a DM Abbott it as well.

Yeah they both seem same same.

I don't *need* two outputs, I can split the RCA if need be.

Differences come down to how well they implement the chip and which chips, tends to be ES9038Q vs AK4497 in the more budget arena. Then one or two of them.

SMSL SP200 on its way

Topping D50S on its way

DT1990 was meant to be coming but a certain someone can't manage to call Paypal and sort their shiiit out.

Do I just grab a new pair of DT1990? Ananda? Used HD800 and SDR them? LCD2C and grow bigger neck muscles?

I have HD6XX and keeping them, so something a step up all round, but also not just mids mids mids.

• 2 weeks later...

New headphone day; LCD2C courtesy of a member here, sounding great out of the Woo WA6.

Undecided whether to buy a solid state amp (balanced) to see if I'm missing out on anything by pairing these or my aeon flows with tubes..or just enjoy what I have.

IMG_20200225_201142.thumb.jpg.9cbcd162c5dd76e76ed6bfdb5156eb4b.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2020 at 10:49 PM, Bengineer said:

Doing the Covid-Cleanup. Found a pair of Brainwavz B2 IEM. Anyone remember those from 10 years ago? Fisher Audio rebrands. Good times.

They were quite a nice IEM IIRC. I've got way too many Brainwavz IEMs floating around here too

06cc16d5a5fd3891432da80e8cb67658.jpg

Got the plus version today from Amazon.

Can’t say the sound is that much different.

I guess I was setting an artificially high benchmark for the first MW07

Compared to my other cans, FOCAL Utopia and Stellia and HifiMan HE6, the MW07 was outclassed.

But compared to my Ultimate Ears UE11 Pro and Westone 3s, the MW07 fared better.

So I’m glad they’ve polished off some rough edges for the Plus model.

I’ve been using the AirPod Pros for the last few months and it has been awful for me. The rubber tips caused an irritation where the older plastic AirPod did not. Noise cancellation was good on the Pro but it wasn’t a useful feature for me.

I like the MW07plus for its better battery life.

Oh and on the subject of full sized cans, it’s odd. I recently got my HE6 out again with the Bartok and damn! I swear I love it more than the Focal flagships.

I did have to push the Bartok for max gain [emoji28] that Hifiman is a beast to drive.

I think the Sony are bigger and clumsier.  My friend bought a set only to lose a piece falling into the drain as he alights from a bus.  I am sticking to my MDR-WH1000X M3, the headphone version as SQ is the most important attribute.  My MDR WF-X1000X M3 earbuds stay in my slingbag.

(Audio)

I think the Sony are bigger and clumsier.  My friend bought a set only to lose a piece falling into the drain as he alights from a bus.  I am sticking to my MDR-WH1000X M3, the headphone version as SQ is the most important attribute.  My MDR WF-X1000X M3 earbuds stay in my slingbag.

(Audio)

yeah the seal and isolation not that great with wf-1000xm3. however i do find the beyerdynamic lagoon sounding better than wh-1000xm3 after MIY calibration

• 2 weeks later...
  • Volunteer
9 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

your link doesn't seem to work.

Mind you for 10% I'm not going anywhere quick

(tbh I'm not sure why anyone makes a fuss about these "10% off" sales that A2A seem to have. Really 10%...

• 2 weeks later...

06cc16d5a5fd3891432da80e8cb67658.jpg

Got the plus version today from Amazon.

Can’t say the sound is that much different.

I guess I was setting an artificially high benchmark for the first MW07

Compared to my other cans, FOCAL Utopia and Stellia and HifiMan HE6, the MW07 was outclassed.

But compared to my Ultimate Ears UE11 Pro and Westone 3s, the MW07 fared better.

So I’m glad they’ve polished off some rough edges for the Plus model.

I’ve been using the AirPod Pros for the last few months and it has been awful for me. The rubber tips caused an irritation where the older plastic AirPod did not. Noise cancellation was good on the Pro but it wasn’t a useful feature for me.

I like the MW07plus for its better battery life.

Oh and on the subject of full sized cans, it’s odd. I recently got my HE6 out again with the Bartok and damn! I swear I love it more than the Focal flagships.

I did have to push the Bartok for max gain [emoji28] that Hifiman is a beast to drive.

Stereo bringing in. Will hv a listen once shop can open

c25b7a48048a7a14bf9bfe319a937c07.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/06/2019 at 5:29 PM, dalethorn said:

I downloaded Carmen Gomes Sings the Blues a few weeks ago - easy jazz more-or-less, and for sound quality it's one of the best recordings I've ever heard. It's in DSD or PCM from 96khz on up. Anyway, I'm using this album as a final test of new headphones, or how well any headphone responds to mods or EQ. Highly recommended, and hard to believe it was a live audience.

https://www.soundliaison.com/studio-showcase-series/276-carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

The Carmen Gomes albums are on sale in various hi res formats  this week at  https://www.soundliaison.com/

But this Friday is a good way to support her directly via https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/  . She sell Red Book CD's and 44.1 flac downloads and MP3's.

as: "Bandcamp will be waiving their revenue share on Friday June 5 as a way of showing support for the music creators. This is a great day to load up on downloads of your fave songs and albums by your fave artists. "

CarmenDYC4.jpg

Edited by Rup
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have Sundara's on the way and am quite looking forward to trying my first Planar Magnetic set of cans. I own DT 770 Pro's (80ohm) and 6xx and power them with the Schiit stack. Anybody want to ruin my hype? or maybe get me more hyped with their personal experiences with the Sundara? :)