General Headphone Chat

49 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Well they arrive tomorrow. If they are even close to a closed back Clear I'd be content, especially for 599 ?

Just hope I can get a decent deal with glasses on.

Let us know how they go.  The pads are ok for glasses on the Elear, they are a bit squeaky to start but wear in.

Having quick listen now.

Took me a while to adjust to the Clear / Focal house sound when I had them for a couple weeks, these are right up that ally. Everything is there to listen to, ears adjust to it. Not bright. Maybe touch warm, need to listen more. Not obviously apparent sound like say a Nighthawk slaps you in the face with how dark they are. Also don't have a soundstand that kicks you in the face like a HD800.

Bass seems to have enough kick with glasses on, guess seal is fine.

Cable is 1.2m, really is short. If I keep them for a while I may get a longer one, idea is to run them off the Mojo and lay on the lounge or take them on holiday, so 1.2m good for that.

Build identical to the other Focals. Can't really complain.

Can't A/B them with anything at the moment. Have some HD6xx at work, but can tell they have a lot more detail already (DAC/Amp at home isn't quite as good as what I have at work)

Edited by Bengineer

8 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Unsure on their comfort. I have a large head, so the cups are at full extents, which seems to increase pressure on the top. Think it's giving me a headache. Hmmmm.

When I initially got the elear I would have agreed as the clamp pressure was a little much as like you I have a big head.... That's what she said, I also wear glasses.

Don't burn me if you already knew these but they not like my Sennheiser or other headphones they don't like leaning on top of towards the back of my head, they prefer to lean towards the front of my head with the headband which reduced clamping pressure by a lot especially on my glasses.

Also the foam is quiet hard and takes a little too soften up.

Thirdly could be a point in system, previously my Sennheisers were fatiguing due to my setup.

I don't thinks it's the second and likely the first clamping pressure on your glasses, hope that helps though.

On 25/10/2019 at 9:39 AM, Bengineer said:

The clamp force is too little, increase the pressure on the headband and top of my head!

Hey, did the headphones improve our still having issues. I did notice some issues with fatigue and mine on the weekend after a few hours not sure what the issue maybe. Could be clamping, glasses or the sounds signature is a little fatiguing or a mix. 

Still thinking of getting some Sony z7m2 for general use to compare. Wonder if the cable can be used with the focal? Both are 3.5 plugs into the headphones but don't know if will fit.

MrSpeakers --> Dan Clark Audio

Kicking it off with the Aeon 2 Closed. Shipping overseas now.

Ether 2 tech filtered down, similar build to first pair (good thing) with extra pivot mechanism (good thing). 

Needs to sound a lot better than the first if it's going to hit at $1500 AUD here (my guess). Will see soon.

The Aeon Closed was good. I had them for a year. Good at $1100 AUD, bargain at $650 AUD as some B Stock has sold recently at A2A. $1500 or so maybe not so much.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Aeon 2 should be hitting Aus soon. $1450-1550 depending.

Reviews and comments I've seen seem promising, an improvement in every way on the originals, and the originals were good.

Colour not my thing, but nitpicking

The Aeon 1 is quite good, but his other stuff are ordinary. Hard to justify without demo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a little bit of play money and the madness has set in. My Headamp GSX2 is inbound from A2A and the hunt is on for some (ludicrous) Susvaras or 1266s and perhaps some LCD3s for the sculptured listening :). I listened to some 820s through a Bursen Conductor but found them to be a little flat and unconvincing, but quite detailed.

• Like 2

On 03/11/2019 at 1:19 PM, Bengineer said:

Needs to sound a lot better than the first if it's going to hit at $1500 AUD here (my guess). Will see soon.

The Aeon Closed was good. I had them for a year. Good at $1100 AUD, bargain at $650 AUD as some B Stock has sold recently at A2A. $1500 or so maybe not so much.

As far as i can tell, seems to be a running trend from their headphones (having only tried the aeon open). Generally pretty good, but often not quite worth the price tag. Might be worth it down the track when you can get it for closer to $1k.

4 hours ago, 626tomp said:

As far as i can tell, seems to be a running trend from their headphones (having only tried the aeon open). Generally pretty good, but often not quite worth the price tag. Might be worth it down the track when you can get it for closer to $1k.

Its hard in the closed market too.

It is getting fairly consistent good reviews, all saying significant step over the original.

At $1400 AUD, what is its competitors if you're after an all rounder, comfy closed back.

You have Sony Z1R which is good except its huge and weird treble things going on.

Focal Elegia which I can't wear without a headache and don't like the Focal house sound, but its main competitor (quite bulky still).

LCD2 Closed which weighs close to a metric tonne.

Fostex TH900 MK2 is a love/hate boom tish headphone.

Beyerdynamic T5P maybe, bit of a forgotten one.

The closed market has a bunch of sub $1000 offerings, hand full in between, then two stupid flagships (Verite Closed and Stellia).

Atticus and Eikon semi-closed yeah? Heavily ported, and still fairly heavy. Keen to try them though, mostly the Eikon. Atticus seems to be more polarising.

Most Audeze are just too heavy, LCD1/Mobius etc excepted.

Money no object, I'd get the Verite Closed in the special wood, straight up. But $3500+ to get a set here, pretty crazy money.

• 4 weeks later...

Tube recommendations, hit me.

Something that can drive all impedance headphones would be great. 

Bottlehead looks cool but only high impedance

Woo WA6 has a selector switch for high / low for example.

Try keep it under $1k used :S