General Headphone Chat

Finally got my headfi setup complete after several trial-&-errors (painful ones I might add!) - originally targeted the Hifiman HE-400i (bad or lack of a proper audition ruined it), compromised (big mistake!) and got the Audeze EL-8 when I really wanted the LCD-2. Sold it, wanted to correct a mistake and targeted the LCD-2... auditioned it BUT also given a LCD-XC to "try". Gosh no turning back, all I wanted in my perfect set of cans - Awesome bass, closed-back (so as not to annoy my wife and also means can be used outdoors), low impendence - 20 ohms!! my Cayin C-5 pumps out really loud at 2.5-3 out of max of 9 volume! (ease of drive means portability and no need to spend on more powerful amplification), and the best part is these are the most spacious sounding set of closed-back cans I've ever heard!   

That is, until you try the Ether C........ hehehe

• 2 weeks later...

Got annoyed with no super short right angle USB to lightning connector to go from my OPPO HA-2 dac/amp so I took matters into my own hands. Couldn't find any of the right size shrink to go over the last bit but will get some tomorrow.  8)  Happy days.

Got annoyed with no super short right angle USB to lightning connector to go from my OPPO HA-2 dac/amp so I took matters into my own hands. Couldn't find any of the right size shrink to go over the last bit but will get some tomorrow.  8)  Happy days.

The one supplied by Oppo is too long for you huh? :) I'm toying with the idea of getting the lightning cable from moon audio but I don't think they make super short version like what you've made for yourself.

Well basically the leather case I have which fits both Oppo ha2 and iPod touch 128gb)inside doesn't work with the Oppo supplied cable as its coiled up/bent around so necessity is the mother of invention. 

I'm liking the new setup and as far as I can tell makes no difference at all.

Looking forward to try the Curious cable soon and see what if any benefit that provides on the HA-1 setup.

Well basically the leather case I have which fits both Oppo ha2 and iPod touch 128gb)inside doesn't work with the Oppo supplied cable as its coiled up/bent around so necessity is the mother of invention. 

I'm liking the new setup and as far as I can tell makes no difference at all.

Looking forward to try the Curious cable soon and see what if any benefit that provides on the HA-1 setup.

Are you connecting the HA1 to your Oppo player? Would you be able to test the balanced connections & post your impressions here if you can? I assume you will be plugging the PM2 to the HA1 right?

Where to audition/get the Ether C locally?

i did mine @ E1 Personal Audio @ Far East Shopping Center but that was for the Open model. i think by now they should have the C model as well. Another place would be Song Bros. when you test them, do it with the balanced DUM cable if possible. 

Where to audition/get the Ether C locally?

There was one set that went from song bros then to E1, but not too sure where it is now. Can call them to check.

I ended up pre ordering through e1, but still waiting for stock to arrive

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mind PMing the price for pre-order. Saw that MrSpeakers does ship to SG. Ether C w/ DUM 1/4" cable plus fedex shipping @ USD 1676.96; 2-3weeks lead time.

Taking about 1.5 exchange rate and gst, should work out to be ard SGD2.7k

12112447_1000612303318340_4987994321865109427_n.jpg?oh=9a97113257f088e00640ab28807e0d68&oe=571B7F5C&__gda__=1461630369_b5144094fc99620f9ce03456ec3f543d

the price should be standard since SLT is the distributor. you might wanna check if the price includes the stock cables or DUM cables. for the initial batch, i believe that price included the DUM cable. the situation may have changed now. if i just buy one pair of cans in 2016, it will most likely be the Ether Open  ;D

Missed Mook.

Juz went SongBro, no more demo, set returned to SLT.

Guess need to wait for actual stock arrival then audition before deciding. 2.4k is a tad ex for a blindbuy.

i believe you can demo this @ E1 Personal Audio @ Far East Shopping Center.

• 4 weeks later...

Bros, thinking of having a headphone setup with the HD800. Can the HD800 be optimised with a portable setup? I'm not going to bring it on the go but need it to be mobile so that I can use it within the home n by the pool, in hotel rooms etc when sitting down but dont want it to be plugged to a power socket. or shud I just go for the ie800?

Bros, thinking of having a headphone setup with the HD800. Can the HD800 be optimised with a portable setup? I'm not going to bring it on the go but need it to be mobile so that I can use it within the home n by the pool, in hotel rooms etc when sitting down but dont want it to be plugged to a power socket. or shud I just go for the ie800?

What's your portable source?

IE 800 and hd800 have vastly different sound signatures. I pretty hard to get the best out of a hd800 with a portable setup when desktop setups can do much better imho

Simple....just buy a AK380 with the AK380AMP attachment.  Make a customised HD800 balanced cable that plugs into the AK380 Amp Module.

Or for real simple portability, the IE800 would be very good already.

(Audio)

I have AK120, i think the AK amp can be used for all their DAPs? Will that be sufficient for HD800?

Cannot, the A380AMP is MADE only for the AK380.  It locked into place with a thumbscrew at a corner and form a complete unit.  No need to rubber band tie the player and the amp like in most cases.

(Audio)