General Headphone Chat

Showroom is good enough.

There is this thing about Atlas Sound, they seem to be very strong with Bose headphones.  They had replaced my old QC2 twice without any questions asked whatsoever.  This is despite me telling them I DID NOT BUY from them. They also advise that you bring your old pair to them whenever you want to buy a new pair....there is trade-in value, they told me.

Just go and ask them that you want to buy a pair of replacement earpads.....and see what they have to say.....

(Audio)

Thanks a lot Audio again for the advice!

Showroom is good enough.

There is this thing about Atlas Sound, they seem to be very strong with Bose headphones.  They had replaced my old QC2 twice without any questions asked whatsoever.  This is despite me telling them I DID NOT BUY from them. They also advise that you bring your old pair to them whenever you want to buy a new pair....there is trade-in value, they told me.

Just go and ask them that you want to buy a pair of replacement earpads.....and see what they have to say.....

(Audio)

Thanks to some bros advice, went to Atlas today to "Change my pads for my Bose QC15". Was enquiring about the Trade In Program that Audio mention. They highlighted to me that its possible even for my US limited edition set. What they need is that they need to send in the unit to service centre to verify that its a authentic unit then I am entitle to trade in.

Now waiting for them to come back to me and I will most likely getting the QC20i which has fantastic review and also its much more portable. I was amazed by the quality of the noise cancellation even though its a earphone. Its even better than my QC15. And most importantly, it sounded nicer than my QC15. Hope that this time I can sleep with it as I do quite a bit of overnight flights and I can lie on my side as Q15 does not allow......

Generally, I find the traditional IEMs to offer good sound isolation on planes. Customs (CIEM) would be ideal and if not customs, switch to the Comply foams tips. These are made of the same foam ear plugs as issued on planes. Active noise canceling are a double edge sword - I find they usually interfere with the sound signature and quality. For those with issues wearing IEMs, I do find better merits of noise canceling on headphones.

I do agree IEM offer good isolation. I have a pair of Earsonics SM3 which is pretty good in that ear.however, they are still nowhere close compared to Noise canceling he ones or earphones, that's why I switch to Bose QC15 initially. There great esp when u have crying babies round.

When I tried the new QC20 yesterday, they offer even better noise canceling than QC15 and the new Q25 headphone. i was listening to music and relative low volume and I cannot even hear my colleague talking to me. Comfort was great. I do admit sound quality is nowhere close to my Earsonics, however, the main use for the Bose is only for me in the plane for movies or to cut noise when I sleep on overnight flights. So sound quality is not a real need for me. I have to admit they are pretty good he they were last time.

One big point for me is also size, it's quite cumbersome to have the Headphone vs earphone which is so much more portable and convenient to bring around.

Anyway I am still waiting for Atlas to verify my set, I still have time to choose! However, it still have to be a Bose since the good trade in value they are offering is enticing.

I owned the QC20 that I mainly used it for conference call on my Samsung note 4. The NC is really great especially when I used it in my noisy data center. Even my colleague was impressed after sharing the QC20 with him. The comfort is great too and better than my IE800. However I rarely used it for music as SQ nowhere near IE800.

How's the reliability of the QC 20 Big Bird? My main qualm is on the battery unit which is dangling and some feedback in the net mention that it then to get damage due to wires coming off due to the weight.

I owned the QC20 that I mainly used it for conference call on my Samsung note 4. The NC is really great especially when I used it in my noisy data center. Even my colleague was impressed after sharing the QC20 with him. The comfort is great too and better than my IE800. However I rarely used it for music as SQ nowhere near IE800.

How's the reliability of the QC 20 Big Bird? My main qualm is on the battery unit which is dangling and some feedback in the net mention that it then to get damage due to wires coming off due to the weight.

My QC20 is less than a year and so far quite reliable and no battery issue.  The charging is quite fast.  I feel the battery unit a bit too big.  Wish it can be smaller.  I have this issue that the battery unit get switch on when inside my bag side pocket maybe due to some movement when travelling and drain up all the battery.

Thanks for the feedback!

My QC20 is less than a year and so far quite reliable and no battery issue.  The charging is quite fast.  I feel the battery unit a bit too big.  Wish it can be smaller.  I have this issue that the battery unit get switch on when inside my bag side pocket maybe due to some movement when travelling and drain up all the battery.

Anyone seen or have one of these babies? Price? And shop you got it or online?

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/accessories/headphone_amplifiers/dac-ha200/index.html

Alternatively anything else that will plug into and iDevice lightning connector or USB to lightning as a dac to drive headphones....has to be portable. Oppo ha-2 looks like a winner but I'm looking for a student so pricing is important.

Another new player... http://www.ctcaudio.com/collections/dacs/products/cozoy-astrapi-dac-amplifier

Anyone seen or have one of these babies? Price? And shop you got it or online?

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/accessories/headphone_amplifiers/dac-ha200/index.html

Alternatively anything else that will plug into and iDevice lightning connector or USB to lightning as a dac to drive headphones....has to be portable. Oppo ha-2 looks like a winner but I'm looking for a student so pricing is important.

Another new player... http://www.ctcaudio.com/collections/dacs/products/cozoy-astrapi-dac-amplifier

I took a look at the Onkyo and it reminded me of this model by Teac :

http://www.teac.com/product/ha-p50/overview/

For price and local availablity I think you can check with Absolute Sounds at Adelphi or maybe E1 Personal Audio at Far East SC.

Bought the new tube based portable amp from ALO called Continental Dual Mono. Amazing little amp which uses 2 6111 tubes.

http://www.headfonia.com/review-alo-continental-dual-mono-cdm-back-on-top-part-one/

Been listening to this amp for a couple of days connecting to my Sony ZX2. Using the Sony dongle, I was able to extract musically digitally from the ZX2 and run the signal via the CDM DAC and amp output. Comparing the ZX2 stock vs CDM sound, the ZX 2 sounds a bit flatter, darker. The CDM seems to lift the mods and apply greater realism to the music. Vocals are even more 3 D. Soundstage width and depth better too. All listening were done via my IEMS via low gain and no hissing was heard. Haven't tried CDM on headphones yet - although I have a preference for IEMS for portability, comfort and also ease of drive. Admittedly I find some of the headphones sound sig weird eg no or little bass, diffused sound.

I also have a Chord Hugo and it's interesting comparison. Whilst Chord has a strong reputation for its DAC prowess, I think the CDM's overall implementation gives Chord a good run for money. The CDM ability to portray the tones of vocals, certain instruments , it's musicality is very very good. Had a four hour session aboard plane and hotel to rediscover my music again. Very glad I tried this.

The downside of the CDM is that it runs quite hot. Even the volume button gets toasty after an hour of listening. Not something one would want to put in pocket (even if it fits). But the consolation is that the warm glow of the tubes looks very nice indeed especially in a dark bedroom.

Quite happy with my portable hifi setup now. I spend more time listening to this than my home hifi setup. Portable hifi has come a long way I feel.

I went to Sony showroom to troubleshoot the problem. The service guy tested my nwh10 usb adapter with my ZX2 and usb cable to their Sony DAC and it works fine. So it looks like the problem is Mytek that not compatible with ZX2 using usb interface.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a depressing weekend.  So bad that I did a bit of shopping therapy to try to put back that smile on my face.....

So, I went and buy myself the AK380.  I have been holding this off for a long time.  No reason to buy such an expensive player.....but the soul need uplifting on Saturday.  :)  And surprisingly it cost less here than in Hong Kong even with GST.  Better get it before it goes to 10%.

The screen display is bigger than the AK240.  I am very pleased to say that the software had fix the "accidental touchscreen vol control; that one that set the volume to deafening vol" defect.  Volume control now allows you to increase the volume up to over 130!!  It is really loud and powerful.  Very stable sound image inside your head.

Yes, there is a lot of difference in SQ when compared to the fantastic AK240.  More refined, more revealing and very loud!!

On this Grasshopper album, the track "Goodbye July"....really fun track.  You will hear a revolving synthesizer turning clockwise in your head throughout the entire track.  And then it is accompanied by layers and layers of synthesizers' tones...some I have not heard so clearly until now.  And the voices separation is remarkable, very distinct placement.

Tested with Sennheiser IE800; Sony MDR-Z7 and Sennheiser HD800......best performance is Sony MDR-Z7.

Probably getting the AK380 AMP attachment tonight........sigh.

This is the best portable setup I have heard to date.  Very high resolution audio for the travelling Audiophile.  Highly recommended.

(Audio)