General Headphone Chat

Bought a LCD-2 and joined you guys on HeadFi reluctantly.

-The tiny bits of orchestral music becomes more noticeable like piccolo etc compared to speakers

-Staging is very strange as it is like the orchestra in your head in between your ears. Have to get used to.

-Placement of instruments more precise.

-Listening fatigue sets in after about an hour unlike speakers...No long enough for some Mahler pieces.

CLASSICAL MUSIC LOVERS SHOULD TRY OUT HEADFI AS IT BRINGS OUT A NEW DIMENSION DIFFERENT FROM SPEAKERS.

Tube headamp is Musical Fidelity Xcan3 on permanent loan from dear friend.

Only regret-LCD is open back and family members are complaining so end up listening in room still. Should have chosen a closed back.

Agree that Classical music lovers should try headphones.

Maybe coz my speakers are not good...but after using my HD800 for classical music on a humble ifi iCan....I have been using my headphones more than my speakers  :P

The sound staging of the HD800 is very accurate but yes, it's got the strange headphone-associated in your head effect.

What I love most about my HD800 is it's so revealing...my music is so detailed now and yet it's still natural and flat??

Pete, u want to give my HD800 a try??

HD700 bass is punchy. The headphones plays any genre well, though not exceedingly well. It's a pair of "happy" headphones that makes music enjoyable.

yep da perfect jack of all trades, master of none.

love it.

The HD800 really reflects the amplifier and source before it. I found that so far it pairs better with tube amps. I'm personally using the Apex Teton amplifier. With the right combination of tubes, they have bass to rival any audeze with fantastic solid mids and wide open soundstage as well.

The HD800 really reflects the amplifier and source before it. I found that so far it pairs better with tube amps. I'm personally using the Apex Teton amplifier. With the right combination of tubes, they have bass to rival any audeze with fantastic solid mids and wide open soundstage as well.

I'm not sure I agree. I can use some of my headamps as preamps and the bass isn't anaemic with speakers or other cans. Just with the HD800.

I'm not sure I agree. I can use some of my headamps as preamps and the bass isn't anaemic with speakers or other cans. Just with the HD800.

Well I can only say for what I hear on my setup. The HD800 is very sensitive to proper output impedance of the amp though and mine is an OTL amp. I've heard the HD800 on other other tube headphone amps like the woo wa5 and wa234 and it doesn't sound anywhere as good. The best sounding amp that I've heard besides the Apex Teton on the HD800 is the EAR HP4.

I have the iCan, I can tell you from my experience the signal noise level is very sensitive to the rca cables used. You will need a good pair.

Agree that Classical music lovers should try headphones.

Maybe coz my speakers are not good...but after using my HD800 for classical music on a humble ifi iCan....I have been using my headphones more than my speakers  :P

The sound staging of the HD800 is very accurate but yes, it's got the strange headphone-associated in your head effect.

What I love most about my HD800 is it's so revealing...my music is so detailed now and yet it's still natural and flat??

Pete, u want to give my HD800 a try??

I have the iCan, I can tell you from my experience the signal noise level is very sensitive to the rca cables used. You will need a good pair.

Fully agreed.

Using my Acoustic Synergy RCA cables, my iCan v2 is picking up our local radio stations when the volume is off....and the RFi doesn't fully go away even when the music begins playing

Use a non-branded Belkin RCA cables, the RFi is greatly reduced but the sound seriously sucks.

Seems like the RCA cables are acting like an antenna for the iCan....read that it might be a ground loop issue?

Which RCA cables are u using? Care to share your experience for the benefit of all?

Fully agreed.

Using my Acoustic Synergy RCA cables, my iCan v2 is picking up our local radio stations when the volume is off....and the RFi doesn't fully go away even when the music begins playing

Use a non-branded Belkin RCA cables, the RFi is greatly reduced but the sound seriously sucks.

Seems like the RCA cables are acting like an antenna for the iCan....read that it might be a ground loop issue?

Which RCA cables are u using? Care to share your experience for the benefit of all?

I had good results with both wireworld silver eclipse and kimber hero but since not using iCan after getting the Yulong DA8, so not interconnects, yay!

a question on the Chord Hugo - i understand it doesn't have balanced outputs. so how do you connect your balanced heaphones to the Hugo when you are using a DAP like the AK240?

Ak240 as source

Hugo as DAC

Connected by optical

Unbalance the balance headphone plug with an adapter

www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Hyper-Short-Adapter-AK240-Astell-and-Kern-2-5-mm-4-pole-trrs-3-5-mm-1-8-rhodium

Drew Baird of Moon Audio told me this:  "There is no way to connect the AK240 to the Hugo except for the optical SPDIF."

And that is how he sold me that customized optical link.  Chord Hugo is NOT a balanced device.  Sorry.  I am not sure but maybe can try the Sony PHA-3.  :)

(Audio)

Guest eltonng

wanted to buy a pair of headphone with a amp+dac...

shortlisted a couple of models but wanna explore more if anyone has great advices to share.

Mainly I need RCA ins as I will be hooking up to vinyl too.

Preferbly balanced in for amp and headphones...

1. Oppo PM1

2. Alpha Prime

3. LCD3 (Abit out of budget)

1. oppo Ha1

2. Mytek?

3. Saw Ifi package with lcd 3, $3099 at Stereo, but crank max volume, then sound alright. means no headroom....

Any advice is appreciated!

shortlisted a couple of models but wanna explore more if anyone has great advices to share.

1. Oppo PM1

2. Alpha Prime

1. oppo Ha1

2. Mytek?

3. Saw Ifi package with lcd 3, $3099 at Stereo, but crank max volume, then sound alright. means no headroom....

LCD-3 win the Alpha Prime hands down. Have yet to compare the LCD-3 with the Oppo though. I think ifi is quite overhyped, however I saw a review at a new audiomagazine site, which I suggest you check it out. http://hifisenses.com/portable-audio/ifi-micro-idsd.html My personal thoughts is that it is alright haha! But no where as bombastically good as some mention them to me.

Guest eltonng

Thanks for the advice man. Ya...,ifi to me not many uses cos no rca in... I personally tried the lcd3. Really very nice. Only thing not nice is the price! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest eltonng

Ifi micro iDSD Turbo mode still need to crank max vol?

Ya maybe at stereo was quite noisy, I cranked up max with turbo. Was playing lights at Louisiana and can't hear the owl unless I go max.

Maybe my ears is playing tricks but I do feel that the ha1 is better than the ifi, but of course different cat, one is portable hpa, the other one being desktop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Oppo PM1

2. Alpha Prime

1. oppo Ha1

2. Mytek?

If comfort is a factor for you, then oppo pm1 is far better for long listening sessions. It's much lighter and sits easier on the head. Sound wise, I think it's quite different sound signatures so I think it's really a matter of preference. I tried lcd3 just briefly, and own the pm1 :)