General Headphone Chat

You mean a silicon custom ear pad for generic IEMs? Or a full custom IEM?

It's extravagant but I do love my ACS custom tips.

Basically I was just so comfortable with my Shures that when a friend kindly offered to get them done for a heavy discount I jumped at the chance.

Really takes them to a different level- imaging is much more solid, highs are more detailed but, as usual with these IEMs, never harsh. Bass is much more solid- probably due to the extension into the ear canal. The only real downside is that the sound isolation was slightly better using the Shure 'olives'.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dear all,

Been sometime that I visited extremeplace.

Headfi bug bit me after some poisoning.

Acquired the ODAC and O2 for my desktop setup.

Now looking at these few headphones. Hopefully I won't need to change my ODAC and O2 ( preferred ) but if need be then so be it.

Looking at

1) Beyer DT 880/990 250 or 600 ohms

2) Hifiman HE400 or 500

3) Senn HD 650 /700

Found out the above combo after listening to my friend's DT880 250ohm and also his modded Alessandro MS-1. The later mids is very forward and intimate. His DT880 bass pretty good and the vocals is pretty similar to MS-1.

Appreciate the thoughts for gurus here :)

Cheers.

Bro, just pop down to Jaben with your get and have a listen to their headphones. Your selection has quite different character. Do consider the HD800 if going for the Senns- it's really a class above.

The initial thing that pops out to me is that the hifimans are famously hard to drive well but may vary dep on the model.

Others who've heard the 700 say it's better than the 800. Both are big upgrades over the 650.

I'm still a fan of the ribbons like HE6 and LCD3. For build quality I'd say Hifiman seems less problematic. LCD3s are gorgeous but I've had to send it back for replacement under warranty before.

Allow me to join the crowd here :)

Regarding DT880, I have the pro version, 600 ohm, bought from Jaben.  IMHO, it sounds better than the 250 ohm DT880, less bright, and tighter.  It is still natural bright headphone, but very musical and has good bass.  So far I always enjoy my DT880 Pro 600, even though I know it is not a very natural sounding headphone.

My favorite headphone currently is T1 and Hifiman HE5-LE.  I also have HD800, but use it only for mixing my own recording, because HD800 is very good in detail and imaging.  But for music listening, I prefer to use T1 and HE5-LE.  HD800 tonal balance, to my ears, is not very natural, it has a hump around 4-5 kHz that makes the sound rather too forward for my taste. I tried HD700 at Sennheiser shop in Marina Square, tried a few songs, has some similarity with HD800, but somehow not really suit my taste.  I still prefer T1 over HD700 and HD800.

HE6 IMHO sounds more natural than HE5-LE, but also harder to drive.  When driven properly, those planars are really awesome, they have the power to make the music sounds so realistic with great energy, like life performance.  Difference experience than what I have with T1, HD800, and other headphones.

My2cents ;)

The Senns HD700 (150hm ) and also the Hifiman HE400/500 (both 35ohm ) and Beyer 250ohm should be all easily driven by my o2 right?

I will definitely go down to Jaben this week to confirm my purchase.

You guys compare to these before. Maybe can share some thoughts?

From what I know, COMFORT is the most important.

The Senns HD700 (150hm ) and also the Hifiman HE400/500 (both 35ohm ) and Beyer 250ohm should be all easily driven by my o2 right?

I borrowed Hifiman HE500 once from Mike (Headfonia), from memory it was not so difficult to drive, but you better test it first with your O2 before you buy.  Not sure with HE400, haven't tried it.  HE500 is rather dark sounding compared to my HE5-LE, and HE-500 strangely sounds like a closed headphones without the isolation :)  When listening to HE500, I don't get the feeling of listening an open back headphone, more like listening to a closed headphones, but with no / less isolation.

As my previous post, I prefer the DT880 Pro 600 over the 250 ohm version.

Haha! Then the HD800 is a clear winner. Nothing comes close but I suppose ebryone is different.

The HD700 is smaller. Tonal balance a bit more agreeable than HD800. But I find that after running in the HD800 the treble has mellowed out, but I think they are really run in now, I noticed the change only recently.

LCD3 is lovely but very colored and dark sounding. Bass is weighty. But loses out if talking about accuracy and transparency- has a strong sound signature. Also I can't wear for long on my big head or the sweaty hot pads become too uncomfortable.

HE400 is my current go-to cans daily.

IMHO it is not bright at the top, but it stills has that sparkles there. 

Excellent thumping tight bass for a open cans, though does not go as extended like the HE6.

Maintains the typical planar characteristics throughout, with a little more forward mids than most of its siblings which is neutral.

Changing the default pads to velour ones opens up the already good soundstage a little more.

Easily driven by a portable player with good enough sonics.

Tested the hd700 dt 880 and dt990 both 32ohms and t70p

Tracks used Muse - Hysteria, Bittersweat - Zee Avi.

Amp RSA dark star

Muse - Hysteria

When Muse is played the dt990 owns all of them while the t70p trails behind quite a bit. Didn't really like it because it's too bright and lesser bass. Mids are definitely better but the brightness killed it

The 990 has the bass authority and it's fun. The rest of the headphones' mids  not thick enough. I would say they are clinical and clear.

Tried Bitter Sweat. Since it's a simple song. Most of phones perform pretty similar.

Stereo doesn't carry the hifimans hence, I need to make another trip to confirm my findings

Do you think it would be better than 990 and also the same signature?

So far I'm leaning towards the 250ohm / 600ohm dt990.

• 3 weeks later...

Gong Xi Fa Cai everyone :)

Ok guys..

Acquired the HE-500 planars. Now searching for an amp that can give high current rather than voltage. Prefers tube based.

Anyone of you guys has experience.

BTW, like hifi why doesn't headfi has a separate pre power. An "integrated" is enough ?

My experience in hifi even a separated passive pre vs active pre, the latter would be better.

Cheers.

Gong Xi Fa Cai everyone :)

Ok guys..

Acquired the HE-500 planars. Now searching for an amp that can give high current rather than voltage. Prefers tube based.

Anyone of you guys has experience.

BTW, like hifi why doesn't headfi has a separate pre power. An "integrated" is enough ?

My experience in hifi even a separated passive pre vs active pre, the latter would be better.

Cheers.

You can view headphone amp as normal preamp with beefed-up power supply and whose oitput impedance is matched with typical headphone.

People prefer separate config to anticipate itchiness :p

Just unearthed my Yuin PK1s for my current trip and was using it with the iPhone and it sounded pretty awful actually.

But with the ALO Cypher Solo and the RX II, it actually sounds pretty amazing. Very wide airy sound like with cans but in a package that looks like an el cheapo earbud that no one is wanna go steal ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi bros,

I've just gotten myself a HD800 which I'm using for office and travel use. Currently powering it with the Centrance Dacport which doubles up as a "mobile" rig when I travel for work. Source is my office laptop with jplay software. Cables are all stock. Must say I'm really impressed so far. Jplay is impressive! Though resolution and dynamics are a bit lacking, the Centrance is USB powered after all.

Now thinking of getting a proper desktop amp for office use and wanted to find out if anyone here has any experience of any of the following:

DNA Stratus

Cavalli Liquid Fire or Liquid Glass

Headamp GS-X

Eddie Current Balancing Act

Looking for an amp that will retain the soundstaging, resolution, detail and texture of the HD800 while giving good dynamics, silky highs and controlled bass. Basically neutral with perhaps just a very slight dash of warmth thrown in. Some balanced output capability would be nice but not essential. I've read that the HD800 scales up really well when driven balanced, not sure if it's true.

Heard the EAR HP4 today. Nice tone, detail, soundstage. Downside was that it was slightly lacking in dynamics but I'm mindful that it was a virgin set that has never been played.

Thanks!

Hi Mars73,

The amps you listed are all well-known in the world of Head-fi, no doubt.  But I have not heard them myself so I can't comment.

I am pairing my HD800 (balanced terminated) with the Bryston HPA-1 - also recommended by forum member Audio above - and they go very well together.  The HPA-1 is also powerful enough to drive my Hifiman HE-6 (a monster to drive) and HE-500 (admittedly not a difficult load).  It is very reasonably priced for the type of quality you get (both sound and manufacture) and the 20-year warranty doesn't hurt either.

Hi Mars73,

The amps you listed are all well-known in the world of Head-fi, no doubt.  But I have not heard them myself so I can't comment.

I am pairing my HD800 (balanced terminated) with the Bryston HPA-1 - also recommended by forum member Audio above - and they go very well together.  The HPA-1 is also powerful enough to drive my Hifiman HE-6 (a monster to drive) and HE-500 (admittedly not a difficult load).  It is very reasonably priced for the type of quality you get (both sound and manufacture) and the 20-year warranty doesn't hurt either.

Thanks! I should make it a point to go have a listen at the local dealer if possible. Just out of curiosity, may I ask what you using for a source, and also what balanced headphone cables are you using?

Looking for an amp that will retain the soundstaging, resolution, detail and texture of the HD800 while giving good dynamics, silky highs and controlled bass. Basically neutral with perhaps just a very slight dash of warmth thrown in. Some balanced output capability would be nice but not essential. I've read that the HD800 scales up really well when driven balanced, not sure if it's true.

Confirmed, double confirmed and triple confirmed that balanced cord will improve the HD800 performamce.

(Audio)