Sign in to follow this  
Bengineer

General Headphone Chat

As per title. Just a thread for general back and forth headphone and headphone amp/dac related chat. Saves clogging up other threads.

I'll start. @Rickus has been kind enough to lend me his Sony Z1R and Focal Clear lately. Coming out of my office Dac/Amp (JDS Elements), pretty basic little thing around $400 USD. Well reviewed.

Really warmed to the Sony after a rough start. The low end and the way drums just hit is satisfying. They have something weird going on in the upper mid/treble on some songs, but otherwise enjoyed them overall. Build quality is top notch, albeit cups sit on my jaw, can ache after a while.

As for the Clear. Completely different sound. They are clear and airy, separation is crazy good. Low end is there but always feels in the background a bit in most tracks. Heavier than the Sony, start to feel it after a while. Can see why people love them. I think with a bit more ooomph down there they would be close to perfect.

I've heard great things about the original Clear (not the red pro version). I'm curious about whether the Clear gets closer to a classic mid-treble "presence" like the Sennheiser HD800, or whether it has a reduced mid-treble like the Focal Elear or AQ NightHawk etc. I know that some of the classic headphones like the HD800 and the Beyer Teslas and the Grados have treble peaks, but ignoring those for the moment, I just wonder how the overall mid-treble for the Clear compares to those.

Happy to see this thread, I feel there's a lack of headphone discussion on Stereonet so I'm all for it!

This may be off topic for what has been posted before but I recently started powering my Portapros off a JDS Labs Atom amp and have found a huge improvement in the clarity and most noticeably in the bass. I was surprised to see the Portapros scale, they really do punch above their weight, with a good source and amp they really shine.

My next goal is to get Yaxi Pads for them to help with the comfort, I've heard good things about how they alter the sound aswell: https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/porta-pro/?mobile=1

6 hours ago, dalethorn said:

I've heard great things about the original Clear (not the red pro version). I'm curious about whether the Clear gets closer to a classic mid-treble "presence" like the Sennheiser HD800, or whether it has a reduced mid-treble like the Focal Elear or AQ NightHawk etc. I know that some of the classic headphones like the HD800 and the Beyer Teslas and the Grados have treble peaks, but ignoring those for the moment, I just wonder how the overall mid-treble for the Clear compares to those.

I haven't had my HD800 for like a year or so now. But different beast again. It's hard to beat the soundstage/air/clarity of the HD800. They were impressive.

My opinion of them would be that the HD800 was bass light. You could hear it sure, but it never really made you think it was enough.

The Focal seems a bit weird. It's always there, sometimes is just right, some bass heavy tracks it does thump, but a lot of songs for me it just didn't have enough.

HD800 was always bass light, every song. Clear is sometimes.

Z1R had a good punch to all the drums, could use that level of impact on all cans.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Farpun said:

This may be off topic for what has been posted before but I recently started powering my Portapros off a JDS Labs Atom amp and have found a huge improvement in the clarity and most noticeably in the bass. I was surprised to see the Portapros scale, they really do punch above their weight, with a good source and amp they really shine.

My next goal is to get Yaxi Pads for them to help with the comfort, I've heard good things about how they alter the sound aswell: https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/porta-pro/?mobile=1

Nothing off topic if its remotely headphone related bud! Point of this thread.

I want to try the Yaxi pads on the HD6xx actually.

Edited by Bengineer

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Farpun said:

@Farpun You inspired me to pickup a used Atom amp. Surprising that someone was already selling it when it hasn't been around for very long - hopefully it's not broken! Will give my impressions when it arrives.

Not sure if you saw my post in the 'post pictures of your headphone setup' thread - I asked if you can try out Sonarworks True-Fi with your setup and let's know what you reckon. Sounds good to me so far, especially the bass extension - I even have the bass lowered by about 2dB to my taste. Overall (with my settings) it opens up/brightens the HD600 a touch, better treble extension, with the upper mids-lower treble maybe being a touch more forward, but this adds 'air'. No apparent detriment to the mids. But my ears could be painted on!

Edited by flanders
Removed screen shot - too big.

I'll give the True-Fi a run on the HD6xx a bit later and see what I think. Didn't like it on the Clear, messed around with the sound too much.

Just a quick blurb on the Sennheiser Momentum 2's. Fantastic for commuting, no real pressure notice on the noise cancelling, ample bottom end. Could do with a bit more air but I'm liking the EQ in Poweramp. Only just discovered this week, delving into menus because the Momentums arrived that Poweramp offers 192/24 output via the S7's DAC>phone socket. They still haven't sorted seamless playback ie for say on Dark Side, but I'm chuffed with the SQ.

Have you heard the Bose QC35 II too? Comparison?

Bose NC is awesome, but sound is just OK.

No, I actually ordered them on spec and reviews. The Bose are highly regarded though.

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

The QCs use EQ to perk up the sound. You can tell the difference when running passive. So it makes it a little artificial. If they wanted to make it better w/o the EQ, they'd have to do some acoustic treatments in the cups, but then it'd be heavier on the head.

Hey sorry haven't had a good chance to reply.
I've heard of sonarworks, I'm apprehensive if I have to pay for it, is it free?
I'm quite interested.
The Atom Amp is brilliant and in my opinion all that you need from an amp.
Really happy with how it has improved my portapros I couldn't believe it.
I really want to try/get a HD600 because I love the HD650 so much

[mention=162291]Farpun[/mention] You inspired me to pickup a used Atom amp. Surprising that someone was already selling it when it hasn't been around for very long - hopefully it's not broken! Will give my impressions when it arrives.
Not sure if you saw my post in the 'post pictures of your headphone setup' thread - I asked if you can try out Sonarworks True-Fi with your setup and let's know what you reckon. Sounds good to me so far, especially the bass extension - I even have the bass lowered by about 2dB to my taste. Overall (with my settings) it opens up/brightens the HD600 a touch, better treble extension, with the upper mids-lower treble maybe being a touch more forward, but this adds 'air'. No apparent detriment to the mids. But my ears could be painted on!

Hey sorry haven't had a good chance to reply.
I've heard of sonarworks, I'm apprehensive if I have to pay for it, is it free?
I'm quite interested.
The Atom Amp is brilliant and in my opinion all that you need from an amp.
Really happy with how it has improved my portapros I couldn't believe it.
I really want to try/get a HD600 because I love the HD650 so much

Hi have both the HD650 and HD600. I find myself using the HD650 more, although once I get my tube amp back in service, that might change.

Hi have both the HD650 and HD600. I find myself using the HD650 more, although once I get my tube amp back in service, that might change.
This is probably very subjective but do you personally feel it's worth owning both?
Thanks for writing back to me

This is probably very subjective but do you personally feel it's worth owning both?
Thanks for writing back to me

More headphones the better although if want to keep your collection down, I would pick just one and then get something totally different. I have HD650, HD600 and Utopia. I’m hunting for a good inexpensive pair of HD800 and maybe some HE 1000 v2. That would round out my collection nicely.