Sign in to follow this  
alex789hifi

FS: Supratek Cabernet Dual

Posted (edited)

Item: Supratek Cabernet Dual
Location: Was shipped back to Mick Maloney to check and retuned/upgrade. 

Price: $3300
Item Condition: Excellent. Black finish is no longer provided by Mick due to the difficulty in creating this finish. 
Reason for selling: Purchased the Supratek 
CORTESE LCR Preamp as I wanted a phono integrated preamp.
Payment Method: Paypal, 
Extra Info:

In production for over 10 years the Cabernet Dual has the 6SN7 linestage and a seperate, independent 6H30 linestage with its own level control.
Both are then controlled by a master volume. This arrangement is ideal for bi-amping , allowing for very precise adjustment of bass and mid/treble in loudspeakers with bi-amp connectors. It can also be used as a subwoofer control.
Loudspeaker designers are always compromised in selecting the tonal balance of a loudspeaker but with a Dual Cabernet you can easily adjust tone to suit room and your taste. 

Preamp has been sent back to Mick Maloney to check and retune/upgrade as required. It will be shipped from WA by Mick. It is in excellent condition. My ebay name is alex789hifi and I have 100% positive feedback. I keep all of my gear in excellent condition. I love Mick's preamps, they always perform way above their price tag. It comes with a remote and user manual. Mick does not believe in ruining the look of his preamps with labels hence they are free of anything that will take away from their beauty other the Supratek badge on the front. Unit has both RCA and balanced connectors. 

Review of the Full Music 300B/SE tube

"'While Chinese too, the top TJ/Full Music is a classic again. On both build quality and sonics, it's a Western Electric a bit on steroids. This may not hold true vis-à-vis the fabled original WE but with its rarity and silly NOS prices, that's academic to mere mortals. Why Western Electric has discontinued—or temporarily suspended—availability of popular reissues is anyone's guess. That said, the TJ 300B SE renders the question mute. While flatly expensive, it remains a more affordable option than the $1.200/pr which WE reissues commanded when last I checked. "'

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/tj+synergy/1.html 

Review of Supratek Cabernet Dual

'"I've talked about the concept of alchemy. It suggests an answer to the vexing question of how apparent redundancy -- the very existence of this product category -- could do this. I'm convinced that it's a matter of signal conditioning. Like powerline conditioning that works (not all really does), active preamps of the Supratek's caliber are far from superfluous. In fact, I'm beginning to accede that they might be central to our pursuits. They could be instrumental in pushing a system firmly from the mechanical into the organic realm of operation. If you know Mariza's Transparente album, you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's all about the breath beyond physical lung action. It envelops everything, all of the accompanying instruments, in particular Mário Pacheco's weeping Portuguese guitar. Forget notated scores. They tell what notes to play. They don't begin to suggest how to suspend them as living things in temporal space; how to make them dance. Transparente then becomes a poster child for the Cabernet. And the album title is equally fitting. If this kind of review talk rings your bells, the Supratek Cabernet Dual is your kind of device. It's a terrifically inspired piece of the advanced audio design arts. Black arts - for white magic..."

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/supratek3/dualcabernet_2.html 

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/supratek3/dualcabernet.html

Pictures:

20190522_160704_resized.jpg

20190522_160752_resized.jpg

20190522_160820_resized.jpg

Edited by alex789hifi

Posted (edited)

Fantastic sounding preamp. I can't part with mine. I can see why you're just going for another Supratek to get an equivalent quality phono stage. GLWTS.

Edited by Ittaku

Pity it’s not in Melbourne 

16 hours ago, joz said:

Pity it’s not in Melbourne 

Good excuse for a road trip.

Note the comment, so it shouldn't matter where you are:

On 15/05/2019 at 1:47 PM, alex789hifi said:

It will be shipped from WA by Mick.

lovely looking pre for sure :)

You can just buy the LCR phono separate fyi.

What is an LCR phono?

This might be a sacrilege to ask, but does this preamp allow HT bypass on input from an AVR? Listening space for me is shared with family room for movies and TV.

52 minutes ago, Raffinator said:

This might be a sacrilege to ask, but does this preamp allow HT bypass on input from an AVR? Listening space for me is shared with family room for movies and TV.

I belleve supratek pre have come with this option. but yes something to clarify with the op in this particular case if included in particular model feature set :) 

edit ref below review

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/supratek3/dualcabernet.html

"Two three-pole toggles in front of the transformer covers set the output impedance for the bass circuit for each channel while a top-mounted Alps potentiometer fine-tunes the circuit's precise output signal strength prior to the master volume. The 3-pole toggle between the transformers sets standby-mute/power, its central position turns input 5 into an HT bypass (mains volume bypassed)."

Hi,

Yes I was using it with HT bypass back when I had a surround sound setup. You set the volume at 12 o'clock and turn on the unit, connect via RCA. The volume is then controlled through the Receiver as you need to complete the surround room setup. The user manual details this, it is with Mick so I cant quote from it, but in short yes it can be done and it sounds great as the left and right channels have the nice tube signature sonics.

On 17/05/2019 at 7:39 AM, muriwai said:

What is an LCR phono?

LCR.jpg

Hi All,

As promised, new photos upload 

Thanks

Alex

Am somewhat curious, and definitely looking at tube line stage options to fit with a rather brittle SS sound from my power amp. Also have family (well ... in-laws) down in Margaret River and head down that way from time to time.

However I don't really have plans for bi-amping in the traditional sense, or to split a signal to subs, or to multi-room. Would that rule out much of the value I might find in this (very beautiful) preamp?