New amp recommendations

Hi folks

So, I've got my first 'proper' set-up and I think it's time I looked at upgrading my amp

This is my current setup

• Project Carbon TT
  • Project tube-box pre amp
  • Sansui AU-101 amp
  • Acoustic Energy AE-100 speakers

The amp/pre-amp pairing gives some lovely warmth and midrange, but i am looking for a little more detail and honestly, the Sansui amp is nice, but it's very long in the tooth and something I'm looking to replace

In terms of new amps, I've been looking at the usual suspects

NAD C316BEE 

Rotel RA-10

Marantz PM-5005

Denon PMA-520

Any other suggestions? Happy to go 2nd hand. Budget of around 500-600

EDIT - also a remote and an optical input would be handy but not essential :) 

Cheers

Al

Edited by Rawshack

Quick search on your speakers " lack outright subtlety and space, bold forward presentation", unless your Sansui has been refurbished, this could be the reason for the sound you are getting, be careful, a modern amp may not give you the sound you are chasing, i think an audition with your gear would be essential, it may save you being less satisfied with your purchase in the long run .

Reading further posts A pioneer SX 10AE @$249, or A NAD C316BEE @ $499 on sale at stereophonic in Brunswick, i think the NAD would have a smoother sound with your speakers

Edited by wen
more info
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rawshack said:

Pedantic, much...? ;) 

'Pre amp' goes with a power amp.

Phono preamp maybe.

It saves confusion.

I have a Pro-Ject Tube Box phono and like it.

If you haven't tried different tubes it's worth a go.

I have run the Project into a couple of NAD integrated amps but not as new as the one you mentioned. 

I've never had a Sansui either.

Edited by eman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, eman said:

I have a Pro-Ject Tube Box phono and like it.

If you haven't tried different tubes it's worth a go.

I'd like to give some different tubes a go. I'd welcome any recommendations

The Sansui is nice, but I am aware that it's 45 years old. Doing great for it's time, but I'd like to audition some more modern tech

Tube 'rolling ' is a whole game to itself  and very system dependent.

You could try some premium current production from Psvane or Shuguang. 

If you're going to change amp do that first.

1 minute ago, eman said:

Tube 'rolling ' is a whole game to itself  and very system dependent.

I found tube rolling an expensive and overrated exercise as each offers different options,  with positives gains in one area but with the associated negatives in others.  I much prefer SS with a defined sound that I like or dislike and without the issues associated with tube ownership. Just my opinion based on previously being a tube lover.

4 hours ago, Rawshack said:

Any other suggestions? Happy to go 2nd hand. Budget of around 500-600

I would wait and keep an eye out for the for sale section on this site I'm sure something will turn up from now till next month.
There is also a Amber integrated (made in Melbourne) with phono built in for $500 on Facebook marketplace in Melbourne.

• Like 1

Hi I would look at jbhif they have special on rotel Ra630 it has more power then the ra 10 and some modern features should be in your price range and will make you ae speakers shine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul k said:

Hi I would look at jbhif they have special on rotel Ra630 it has more power then the ra 10 and some modern features should be in your price range and will make you ae speakers shine. 

It ticks a lot of boxes with the remote and the optical cable... 

The Marantz you mention is a good option, preferably s/h. Had one for a while, good phono stage and typical Marantz sound. Otherwise wait and check out what comes up in the Classifieds here. Usually a few options at your budget. Also look out for Musical Fidelity integrateds.

Good luck, always an exciting time when on the upgrade path and I'm sure you'll find something that gives your system a boost :thumb:

I've decided that the amp needs an optical in

Which leaves me something looking like, depending on budget, of

1. Rotel RA-630
  2. Yamaha A-S301
  3. Emotiva TA-100

The Yamaha is looking good based on price and the reviews that I've read.

• 1 year later...
On 15/05/2019 at 1:45 PM, Paul k said:

Hi. Sorry to post on an old thread, but out of curiosity (since there's a Rotel RA-630 being advertised on a certain site at the moment), does anyone know just what was lost from the Rotel A-12 when it was "stripped down" to make the RA-630?  Does the RA-630 have Bluetooth input?
Comparing the spoecs posted on HiFi ENgione for A12 c/w RA-630, the A12 appears to have higher damping factor (220 vs 180, but I doubt I could hear much difference TBH) and the A12 quotes minimum impedence of 8 ohms whereas the RA-630 quotes 4 ohms mininim (which I thought might be better when trying to drive some speakers?)
Rotel A12 Stereo Integrated Amplifier Manual | HiFi Engine
Rotel RA-630 Stereo Integrated Amplifier Manual | HiFi Engine 
Cheers, Rob

Actually, thanks to response on a similar topic elsewhere in this forum I can now answer my own question.  I just checked and there's only one set of speaker connections on the RA-630, and two (A and B ) on the Rotel A-10, A-11, A-11 Tribute, A-12 and A-14.  I guess that may be something that doesn't matter to many, but I also guess there are enough people on this forum with multiple sets of speakers that they would miss it.  Otherwise, the RA-630 appears similar to the A-12...

Edited by Robertoh
answered my own question with a bit of help

On 15/05/2019 at 10:06 AM, Rawshack said:

Pedantic, much...? ;) 

Confusion has crept into this area from people - over many years - not being pedantic!  :(

As eman posted:

On 15/05/2019 at 10:15 AM, eman said:

'Pre amp' goes with a power amp.

In front of a preamp (if it doesn't have an inbuilt phono stage) is a 'phono stage'.  :)

With these names, for newbies, these 3 items:

• power amp
  • preamp
  • and phono stage

.... can never be confused. 

Andy