Sign in to follow this  
Marshall_SLX

DIY vs Commercial Sub

On 25/10/2019 at 9:55 AM, acg said:

330001291_AintShePretty.thumb.jpg.a694b273a51dbde3a50b9e47b05762c6.jpg

ACG, haven't been following threads about this build, but it appears that you built this horn hybrid by your own hand, and I must say, irrespective of the sonic angle, it is an exceptional effort and workmanship, especially considering how unforgiving a material steel is.   Several black holes away from the logistics of having MDF panels cut at Bunnings and buying screws and glue.

To me, it looks stunning, and will be even more so when adding the massive horn at the bottom with gaping mouth.  Nice curved backbone; assume you can play around with vertical positions of the MR and HF horns.  In all a confident beauty that exudes form-follows-function.

Probably a project in itself just to play with crossover settings.    I expect that to do the sound justice, you would want a "really big"  room and I'd guess a minimum listening distance of say, 6m.

If you say that the alpine's are good I'll have a crack, if they can out do dayton audio for price/performance then that is a very impressive feat

Good enough to be replacement drivers for the Danley DTS-10.

These must be more that $10k a pop in Aus, the single woofer version the DTS-20 (that inspired my Alpine- Lab12 TH build)  is $9,999.....

DSC08945.JPG.eed25318493a18c288d33ae5a54639fd.JPG

I like this Lilmike build called the Alpine Geist tuned to 16hz that uses a pair as well.

Quote from Lilmike "We used 3 filters for EQ - all cut - and extended that to where we low passed at 80. NO BOOST for flat SPL to low corner before room gain. It's the flattest raw TH horn sub we have collectively measured." 

untitled.thumb.png.e016582520dcaf0fd806860c7f067d13.png

MMmmmmmm….  Makes me want to build more tapped horns!

Edited by Maz4bz

25 minutes ago, Maz4bz said:

Makes me want to build more tapped horns

You are wicked man 

13 hours ago, Wozza_Lee said:

If you say that the alpine's are good I'll have a crack

They are nicely priced, and there are model which have specs which work well in a tapped horn.

When used like a "normal" woofer (ie. in a sealed/vented box) where there is higher excursion and higher power (than a horn box), then they are not the last word  (although respectable vs $).

Dave,

What have you used that you consider the last word for those kinds of enclosures?

Cheers.

20 minutes ago, Maz4bz said:

What have you used that you consider the last word for those kinds of enclosures?

In a sealed (or high power vented) box?

Driver behaviour at the excursion and power extremes becomes important.   The Alpine car subs are some of the best $/displacement (linear displacement) drivers you can get.   There might be others even cheaper, but they're junk.

....  but there are a whole category of drivers better.   Aurasound, AE, Seas, Scanspeak, Peerless, ... even the much maligned Dayton.... but they are all significantly more expensive.

The great think about a big box like a tapped horn, is that you can make lots of noise while keeping the drivers away from their excursion and power limits.

Edited by davewantsmoore