The official SNA "Avengers: Endgame" (WITH SPOILERS) thread

Hi all,

been a little over two weeks so I guess it's time to have a serious chat about what we liked and what we didn't like about "Avengers: Endgame" (WITH SPOILERS!!!!).

I can't stress enough, this thread will contain spoilers for Avengers: Endgame. Last chance to back away! And it will possibly contain spoilers to all 21 previous Marvel movies, so, you've been warned.

I'll leave it open for now as I have to go prepare the table, feel free to start without me, I'll catch up later. Very interested in hearing your opinions.

Cheers,

Alberto

I saw it tonight and liked it, although I didn’t have high expectations as these types of movies can get a bit boring in the middle.  I thought the ending was very good, particularly with Captain America not returning.

Guest thathifiguy

I felt like it was great fan service and a good payoff for investing the past decade into the other films.

I think for someone to watch it who hasn't seen all the previous films, it would have been ok, but not made a lot of sense.

Well yes, that's the thing, you have to actually have watched 11 years of Marvel movies to get all the references. Otherwise yeah... nah, you'd miss on a lot.

I particularly liked the bit after the battle in New York with Captain America in the elevator, as I was expecting a clone of "The Winter Soldier" and was very surprised. The development of the Hulk and the de-evolution of Thor were also massive surprises, the Internet joke in the hut cracked me up bigtime.

A bit meh, Captain Marvel, although I found her standalone movie alright (mainly due to Samuel L. Jackson), and the whole Iron Man ending from the moment he greets Spidey was great.

Will have to watch it again in all peace and quiet when the BD is released. Who knows, I might give that one the UHD treatment (if I get a UHD player by then).

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2

Very powerfull moments, especially for those of us watching last 11 years of Marvel saga, some characters didn’t got enough movie time and if I could chose to split it into 2 movies I would prefer it, otherwise well made movie at least for me ?

• Like 1

I did notice I needed a bit of a Marvel-detox afterwards, as in not watching anything Marvel related, not even on a worktrip to Germany a few weeks ago on the plane. It needs rest, and then the more enjoyable it will be I hope!

Cheers,

Alberto

I am disappointed with Endgame and I thought The Infinity Stones was a superior movie.

There are too many things I don’t like but I might accept them on second viewing. For now, it’s meh.

Things I don’t like:

1. Time travel meh

2. Thanos was so much more interesting in Infinity Stones. Here he is back from the past and he is just mean and cruel and one note.

3. Does the mourning needs to be so long?

4. Why do we need Captain Marvel in this movie? Just to conveniently save the day? She has better things to do than saving the Earth anyway as there millions of other planets to save?

5. Does Tony Stark’s funeral needs to be so long? Who cares about this guy (Jon Favreau)’s screen time with Tony’s daughter just to tell us Tony liked cheese burger? Perhaps something I missed in the previous movies he is an important character?

6. The fat Thor is supposed to be funny but Chris Hemsworth can’t make me laugh! So was all the funny scenes he played against the Star Lord.

There’s more but I guess enough rant! [emoji16]

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MoveD said:

I am disappointed with Endgame and I thought The Infinity Stones was a superior movie.

There are too many things I don’t like but I might accept them on second viewing. For now, it’s meh.

Things I don’t like:

1. Time travel meh

2. Thanos was so much more interesting in Infinity Stones. Here he is back from the past and he is just mean and cruel and one note.

3. Does the mourning needs to be so long?

4. Why do we need Captain Marvel in this movie? Just to conveniently save the day? She has better things to do than saving the Earth anyway as there millions of other planets to save?

5. Does Tony Stark’s funeral needs to be so long? Who cares about this guy (Jon Favreau)’s screen time with Tony’s daughter just to tell us Tony liked cheese burger? Perhaps something I missed in the previous movies he is an important character?

6. The fat Thor is supposed to be funny but Chris Hemsworth can’t make me laugh! So was all the funny scenes he played against the Star Lord.

There’s more but I guess enough rant! emoji16.png

Interesting. I guess I agree with #4.

#1 You can add "Avengers: Endgame" to the list of movies Antman and Tony Stark referenced as having bad time plots. I did find the Back to the Future references hilarious. And Bill and Ted.

#2 I never really developed any interest for Thanos. He did have his moments on Infinity Stones, but this time I'm happy the focus shifted to the actual Avengers,

#3 You mean the mourning as in 5 years ? After 5 years one guesses some sort of normal would sort of have worked its way in. I guess it's one of those "whaddaya think about 5 years then?" arbitrary decisions.

#5 Cheeseburgers man, first meal Tony had out of the desert.

#6 Fat Thor seriously cracked me up.

Cheers,

Alberto

1. My problem with time travel is that it’s such an obvious and easy way out to bring everyone back from their ashes. I was hoping they have some clever ideas that makes me go wow! I never thought of that!

I did enjoy those scenes when they went back in time to retrieve the stones.

2. Great movie needs a great villain. Now Thanos is just mediocre.

3. I meant after Thanos was beheaded. After 5 years, the sad scenes just drag on and on. Yes I get that, it is supposed to be sad but does it have to go on for such a long screen time until finally the ant resurfaced? Just move on already...

5. I get that. But I was like... so what?

I definitely feel the movie could be shortened by at least an hour. With some tight editing and getting rid of some “unimportant” scenes, it could be so much better.

I hope if I get a chance to watch a second time I would feel slightly more positive about the movie, but do I want to spend another 3 hours to sit through it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MoveD said:

1. My problem with time travel is that it’s such an obvious and easy way out to bring everyone back from their ashes. I was hoping they have some clever ideas that makes me go wow! I never thought of that!

I did enjoy those scenes when they went back in time to retrieve the stones.

Time travel was just a plot device in order for them to connect with their previous movies. If you enjoyed it, then it worked as intended. 

22 hours ago, MoveD said:

I think the difference/contrast was deliberate. The 'older' Thanos in IW was more seasoned and introspective, making him more likeable. Recall he said in IW that he had failed in the 'past', was he referring to his defeat in Endgame? Just before he got 'ashed', he sat down and seem to be reflecting on his situation.

• Like 1

I think the difference/contrast was deliberate. The 'older' Thanos in IW was more seasoned and introspective, making him more likeable. Recall he said in IW that he had failed in the 'past', was he referring to his defeat in Endgame? Just before he got 'ashed', he sat down and seem to be reflecting on his situation.

I think it makes a much more interesting story to work with the now wiser Thanos and have some other clever ideas to bring the deads back. It won’t be a terrible idea to not bring them back either. Wouldn’t it be cool to see what the world has become with or without the others with Thanos in it? Instead we are done with Thanos, chopped him off quickly. Time travel to bring everyone back and now what? The world is better than before? Isn’t the Earth or the Universe still over populated? So wars are still breaking out and the Universe still faced with shortage of food. We have just come a full circle and who is to say there won’t be a Thanos no 2 to rise up and do exactly what Thanos did?

Oh now we have a time machine, we can just do things as we wish... too easy.

I rather liked the fact that they chopped off Thanos' head in the first 20 minutes or so, that was the "so what happens now!? moment for me. I think the "villain" in this movie is more the situation the Avengers are in rather than an actual physical villainous being (Thanos, a secondary role). In this case I'd give more credit to Nebula, who was up until now just a fighting machine, but in this movie you can see how she had evolved from that to a thinking sort of being. Ooooohhhh.... feelings and all.

Almost-dead Tony Stark at the beginning, that was pretty awesome too, how they managed that, I don't know, but he did look like a very old Italian mafia boss with oversized glasses in a wheelchair, a la Robert De Niro.

Still, after some digestion, you wonder what happens with the people that reappear... they stay same young, but the ones around have grown, as in the case of Scott Lang and Casey Lang. So he's now basically 5 years younger. What about Spidey and his friends? Surely some of them had survived Thanos' snap and grown older, however, in the end, you see him hugging his Mexican wingman as if they had'nt seen each other in ages, and yet they were same old. Artistic licences I guess.

Cheers,

Alberto

What happened to loki and the guy played by paul bettany? 

Was suprised how little captain marvel.was in it and badly she fared against

Was impressed by how powerful the red witch is , good character. 

Wth was with Hawkeyes haircut? 

How awesome was new asgard 

Why didn't  ant man just grow big and squash thanos? 

End battle i thought was pretty good 

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cafe67 said:

What happened to loki and the guy played by paul bettany? 

Was suprised how little captain marvel.was in it and badly she fared against thanos ? 

How awesome was new asgard 

Why did ant man just grow big and squash thanos? 

End battle i thought was pretty good 

All very valid questions.

Vision (aka Paul Bettany) had died before Thanos snapped his finger (Thanos removed the infinity stone from his head). So, he could not be brought back because the thing was to bring back the people "snapped" by Thanos. Also a reason why Black Widow did not return (and Hulk admitted having tried).

A bit of Captain Marvel was fine for me. I did not want her to steal the movie. After all, she's not an Avenger. And she got her own a few weeks back.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hifiorwife said:

Has anyone seen ....John Wick 3 ?. I did seen Part 1 & 2 . Also It's seem like  the JW 3 Has Beat Avengers End Game @ Hollywood Blockbuster.

Yes indeed and loved it! ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is that inflation adjusted? 

Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music, and sometimes the Wizard of Oz all feature in the top ten when adjusted by inflation. None of those films appear in that list.

Guinness World Records are quite careful about this sort of thing. 

15 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Is that inflation adjusted? 

Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music, and sometimes the Wizard of Oz all feature in the top ten when adjusted by inflation. None of those films appear in that list.

Guinness World Records are quite careful about this sort of thing. 

You are correct, not adjusted for inflation. Still some way to go to match the old classics. 

Edited by LHC