Sign in to follow this  
oldbrowndog

Denon 103R retip & Altec 4722 step up?

Recently destroyed my brand new Denon 103R tip by bouncing it off the mat of the turntable.. aghhh.. cantilever arm snapped clean off.

Have heard of a few places you can get them redone and even the body upgraded while your at it, looking for recommendations on the best avenue, approx cost?.. or just buy a new one?

Also interested in using some Altec 4722 in a SUT box (can buy the box on ebay for round $200 from the states and i have some 4722's already) as a SUT for the Denon.. ANyone have any experience as to whether this kind of passive transformer thing works well? (assuming there is a decent MM phono stage after it). Im a little concerned it could introduce noise as i have had that issue with my quad 22 preamp and those infernal plug in transformers for the phono stage.. (sounds awful)

Currently waiting for a wooden body for a 103R which will house a bran nu 103R after I did the same as you and broke my cantilever off.

I'll hang on to the broken unit and at some stage I might send it off to Garret Bros and maybe get a Ruby cantilever but more than likely it'll sit in the drawer of broken things in my soundroom.

103R aint expensive in the scheme of things. Just grab a new one.

Looky here at prices>>>> Clicky

whoa.. so the cheapest replacement is alloy cantilever ($90), with a round diamond ($190).. +gst & postage.. Nasty.

I think i paid $350 total for the 103r new so unless this would be a step up then buying a new one is the go i guess.

Heard there were some options in the UK for replacement but assume price would be similar.

thanks

Buying and housing a new 103R in a wood body is indeed a step up...(actually it's a quantum leap according to everyone here at SNA who has one and also via all reviews on the interwebs)

Also look at the Zu103R.

@oldbrowndog you mention being concerned about noise with a SUT.

Are you talking hum ie interference?

The SUT alone has zero noise. 

I’ve had bad interference before caused by the internal wiring scheme.

I probably misworded that a bit, what i found with the plug in transformer(the type AA phono one)  on the quad 22 (using disc input)was that the sound was terrible, thin and reedy. (using a MM stylus/cart of course)

If i used an outboard phono pre & went into an aux input on the quad 22 it sounded sweet.. but the disc input was not nice.

My concern was that the 4722 sut might also be not the best option for a Denon 103r.. Wondering if anyones tried it.. These SUT boxes on ebay look pretty solid. / simple & the altec 4722 is a way better transformer than the type AA on a quad im guessing.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Moving-Coil-Phono-Step-Up-Transformer-box-for-Altec-Peerless-4722-or-4665-MCSUT/123760578491

I saw many users recommended VAS (USA) on VPI users forum, then I have tried to send few MC cartridges for service and inspection, and some needed to replace the susupension / retip / cleaning / adjustment ... the fee is very reasonable and results are very good too https://vasnyinc.com/repair-service/

2 hours ago, oldbrowndog said:

I probably misworded that a bit, what i found with the plug in transformer(the type AA phono one)  on the quad 22 (using disc input)was that the sound was terrible, thin and reedy. (using a MM stylus/cart of course)

If i used an outboard phono pre & went into an aux input on the quad 22 it sounded sweet.. but the disc input was not nice.

My concern was that the 4722 sut might also be not the best option for a Denon 103r.. Wondering if anyones tried it.. These SUT boxes on ebay look pretty solid. / simple & the altec 4722 is a way better transformer than the type AA on a quad im guessing.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Moving-Coil-Phono-Step-Up-Transformer-box-for-Altec-Peerless-4722-or-4665-MCSUT/123760578491

image.jpeg.6050d1dff0fe666f89aca7a6df6ae342.jpeg

http://jelabsarch.blogspot.com/2012/06/mc-step-up-transformers.html

I'm not familiar with the Quad set up sorry and haven't heard the Altec but general opinion is that the 4722 works well with the 103R on the 150ohm primary.