sloper

Converting 110 to 240v

Posted (edited)

Goodaye all

Finaly working on my Sansui AU 717.

The Amp was 110v and has 100, 120, 220 and 240v on the back with the removable cover and plug to set voltage.

240v is there and l set it.

But going through the manual 240v is not shown in the winding.

Mine is the XX model.

Is it an oversite, diagram doesnt show the transformer being changed to series.

regards Bruce

power1.jpg

Edited by sloper
wrong pic

Posted (edited)

Look on the right...EU. BS Model Only.

Edit:It also states at the top XX EU. BS Model Only. Likely you just don't have a schematic specific to your amp , or it is an issue of how the schematic is interpreted @pete_mac can clear this up for you.

In general and apart from this power transformer thing.........I find Schematics a guide, often you have to check parts fitted as there are updates to circuits that the makes release as amendments, so when restoring an amp don't rely only one the schematic.

Back to the power transformer, it states XX EU. BS Model Only, so the UL. CSA Model is not there, and that could be the one.

Look at this. (hope this helps) UL. CS might just refer to models for the USA as well, but rest assured they made models same as your amp also.

http://www.amplimos.it/images/Sansui AU-517, AU-717 Service.pdf

Untitled.thumb.jpg.e1bc2b40eaa054a28c89674205d795f9.jpg

Edited by Muon N'

Posted (edited)

You can look at this link also, and confirms that UL. CS is USA only.  Our voltage is the same as the British, so British Standard. So your transformer is a combination of those two schematics in the pic you posted.

https://archive.org/stream/rtv_sansui_au-517au-717/sansui_au-517au-717_djvu.txt

NOTE: 

AS to U.L., CS.A., B.S., ES and XX marked In the Parts Lists, note the followings: 

U.L., C.S. A Approved parts used in the unit which is applicable to the U.S. and Canada under safety standard. 

B.S Approved parts used in the unit which is applicable to British under safety reguirement. 

E.U Approved parts used in the unit which is applicable to Sweeden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, West 

Germany, and Switzerland under safety reguirement. 

XX ...... — Parts used in the unit which is applicable to other countries excepting mentioned above.
Edited by Muon N'

Posted (edited)

Sorry, you say your amp is the XX only Model?

Need input from @pete_mac as my posts aren't making anything clearer, that's what I get from skimming posts.....appologies :$

Edit: in the post above that link says "XX ...... — Parts used in the unit which is applicable to other countries excepting mentioned above".

It is a bit confusing, to say the least. I'd imaging if it has selections for various voltages it would be capable of those specified.  'X' often is ambiguous, so 'XX' may indicate more than one specified.

Edited by Muon N'

What do you mean by "not shown in the manual"? 

It is very clear you have 2x double 120V primaries you can connect in series -> 2x240V; each producing 0-39V CT on the secondary side. I do not see any problems with it. 

Your effective circuit will be as per this:

au-717-2.png.a66ceaebfb4576121872feea81353430.png

It had to be clearer LOL 😀

If I was smarter, I could have worked out where the sliders on the switch were located when 240V selected LOL. But it was doing my head in LOL

I hate when it's cleared up, but I'm happy to have looked so confused as it's now cleared up by you guys for the OP.

Looks so obvious now :$

20 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

If I was smarter, I could have worked out where the sliders on the switch were located when 240V selected LOL. But it was doing my head in LOL

It's knowledge and more importantly applying that knowledge, not at all about intelligence ;)