Sign in to follow this  
vagabond

WiFI Mesh systems

We have a two level house, downstairs also has a large extension with rooms at the back (12 meter long main room, then rooms behind that). Main internet/wifi router is upstairs and I'm currently running a wifi router downstairs as an extension via POE, but it isn't really cutting it these days so I need to upgrade everything.

Does anyone have an opinion on the better of the mesh systems (I notice the usual networking suspects netgear, linksys etc) for this sort of setup?

TIA.

I have the Orbi. Its plug and play type, just little units that sit there. Works for my whole house, split level thing. Can't really complain about it.

If I could be bothered, maybe one day, I'd go the units that look like smoke alarms and hardwire to power, ceiling mounted, throughout the house. Easy to do in new builds, bit more of a pain in existing.

I am also using an Orbi AC3000 system, and it works very well in a large two storey home.

If you want a plug and play unit that will cover off wifi blackspots around the house and surrounding area, then the Orbi will do this rather well.  If you want a more comprehensive router software facility then the Asus is a better option IMO.   I have used both and but kept the Asus instead.

Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at the systems mentioned.

I ordered an Orbi AC3000 pair. I have a worry that if I need to extend it Netgear no longer offer the satellites separately (you have to get the AC2200 version). That aside, I'll see how it goes.

Does anyone use the google system?

Tech radar review.

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/networking/routers-storage/best-router-9-top-wireless-routers-on-test-1090523

1. Google Wifi

The future of wireless networking gets affordable

Speed: 802.11ac 5GHz down: 101.41 Mbps, 2.4GHz down: 47.53 Mbps | Connectivity: 2 x Gigabit Ethernet ports per Wifi point (1 WAN and 1 LAN port each) | Features: AC1200 2 x 2 Wave 2 Wi-Fi, TX beamforming, Bluetooth Smart ready

Super simple setup
Great value
Limited hardware control
Lower AC rating

The days of traditional wireless routers is almost at its end – the age of the wireless mesh router has come. Google Wifi is the best evidence we have to prove that we are in this mesh revolution. You can finally say goodbye to the days when the only way to achieve wireless freedom was to install a bunch of wireless extenders. The premise of Google Wifi is simple – buy a set of points and position them in strategic areas around your home. Then, simply scan a QR code, and you’re good to go. It’s not only the best wireless router of 2019, but it’s also the most effortless to set up and get going.

On 15/05/2019 at 4:23 PM, vagabond said:

I ordered an Orbi AC3000 pair. I have a worry that if I need to extend it Netgear no longer offer the satellites separately (you have to get the AC2200 version). That aside, I'll see how it goes.

How did the Orbi go?

While I can see the point and attraction of a mesh system, I'd be worried about the health impacts of such a concentrated high level of HF EMR in a domestic installation, especially in relation to the reproductive genetic material carried by girls.  You can look that up if you like.  If you think it's a joke,  my Dad was chief electrical engineer in heavy industry and it was part of his degree.  He told me about it in the late 60s or early 70s, so it isn't new, it came out of WW2 weapons research.

If at all possible, I think it is worth going for a wired network instead.  This is my eventual aim but for not I too have WiFi (a single server) though I have no children at home.

I am aware that there are some YouTube videos on it that are so badly done by ignorant people that it just looks like foil hat nutter material.  However, as far as I know, there is a real underlying science/engineering and medical truth behind it.

Well, up to you, just thought it best to you all know.

Ken

On 07/06/2019 at 10:38 PM, PKay said:

How did the Orbi go?

It runs well, I have some issues with some devices dropping out/reconnecting periodically but that's all. I get full coverage so it's solved that problem.