PVR recorder recommendation

I have an old Samsung non smart tv.   I have a Topfield PVR which I just use to record FTA tv for my wife.   It also acts as a set top box as the TV is not digital.  It is about 5 years old and starting to play up and no recording and continually asking to reformat the HDD.    I am looking for an alternative.  I have looked at Beyonwiz which is a bit pricey for me. I see Fetch Almight which might suit.  It seems it acts as a set top box and it has a TV program guide and you can record FTA.   It also has a wifi.    I was concerned when doing some sesearch that it gets a lot bad reviews with it missing recordings and stops often and has to be rebooted. There is also a Humix which again gets a lot of bad reviews. I would appreciate some suggestions as the best way to go

• Like 1

I use the Beyonwiz. I know they are not the cheapest. Been using them for about 10 years.

I have found them to be a pretty good unit. And they have a very helpful and informative forum if you do have any questions.

I have never used the other brands you mentioned.

• Like 1

I use a small form factor PC (Intel NUC) running Kodi with some USB digital TV tuners. We run both live TV and manage recordings as well - it never misses a beat - series record easy as pie. A little tricky to setup but very solid solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A J said:

I use a small form factor PC (Intel NUC) running Kodi with some USB digital TV tuners. We run both live TV and manage recordings as well - it never misses a beat - series record easy as pie. A little tricky to setup but very solid solution.

I tried a number of times to use a PC and a NAS to do a DYI PVR.  The USB digital TV tuners were temperamental, with the most success with a Sony Play TV, but even that could play up.  Did not give it enough time and effort to get anything solid, just enough to record the late night World Cup soccer matches and other matches.  The DYI PVR project has been most frustrating and given my time again, should have bought a PVR even though I did not do enough recording to justify it.

• Like 1

I have a Topfield 2400 Masterpiece which is still going great guns.

I think the HDD was replaced some years ago.

I don't use it anymore, as Foxtel now does FTA as well as satellite (and my wife won't be discontinuing Foxtel when Game of Thrones ends).

If you want something like your old technology, either replace the hard drive (it isn't difficult, if you actually manage to buy the right replacement) or buy something similar (like my Topfield, which I would happily sell for $50 plus postage).  Or, find an alternative modern day solution of course.

Benje (Adelaide)

On 14/05/2019 at 11:10 AM, Shah said:

I have an old Samsung non smart tv.   I have a Topfield PVR which I just use to record FTA tv for my wife.   It also acts as a set top box as the TV is not digital.  It is about 5 years old and starting to play up and no recording and continually asking to reformat the HDD.    I am looking for an alternative.  I have looked at Beyonwiz which is a bit pricey for me. I see Fetch Almight which might suit.  It seems it acts as a set top box and it has a TV program guide and you can record FTA.   It also has a wifi.    I was concerned when doing some sesearch that it gets a lot bad reviews with it missing recordings and stops often and has to be rebooted. There is also a Humix which again gets a lot of bad reviews. I would appreciate some suggestions as the best way to go

an old toppy owner... we moved to TivoHD and then fetch mighty ...yep fetch mighty does the job...ours has been fine. it hasn't missed any recordings... once in a very blue moon ? maybe once a year, though hasn't needed for ages, it might need a re boot... otherwise just quietly works.

old topfield being given way here ....  if just looking for a free alternative. ..ie keep going ....

• Like 1

I use a Fetch Mighty, and it has been working great for the last 2? years. When I first got it, it had an issue with no picture, when first turned on, but maybe due to a firmware update, it hasn't done that for ages.

You do need an internet connection, for it to work. And you have to register it online (cost $1.00 from memory) in case you do decide to watch a movie from one of the pay services. It also uses the net connection for programme data, which it also uses for programmed recordings, and for catchup TV.

We have a gen 2, which has three tuners. This means you can record two channels from two channel groups (4 recordings) and watch from a third channel group. The Gen 3 has four tuners, so it can record two channels from each of three channel groups (6 recordings), and watch a fourth channel group.

When you tag a series for recording, the Fetch remembers the tags, and adjusts recording times according to the listing in the EPG. It may be a few mins out here and there, but it rarely misses the start and finish of programs. You can add time to the start and end of the programmed time to overcome any of this if you want, but I've only ever had to do that for a couple of channels that have a movie after a show that notoriously runs overtime. And it's no worse, and probably better than a lot of PVRs that use channel transmitted data for the EPG.

The Gen 2 has a 1TB HDD, and I've had well over 100 recordings, with mostly movies and a few full series listed as a group in that.

Another nice feature is you can add a number of Fetch Minis to the system, and they act like a remote access point to the Mighty. You can setup your recordings, view and delete from the Minis too.

If you look at buying one second hand, you have to make sure it isn't locked to an ISP, and that the original owner has cancelled their subscription for that box, or it will be unusable for you. I recently picked up a Mini from Gumtree for $50.00, after making sure that it was unlocked and subs cancelled, and use it in my shed. No more running up to the house to set up recordings on the Mighty :)

One downside is that I haven't found a way to transfer recordings to external storage media, which would be nice for concert recordings.

Overall, it's probably the best system I've used, and I'm more than happy with mine.

• Like 1

I have used Topfield for ages and everyone in the household is use to the interface so there is resistance to change. The Hard Disc in mine was playing up so I replaced it. HDD are pretty cheap, I ended with a larger HDD that is quieter. It was not that hard to change. If I do eventually change I have some good ideas from this thread.

On 14/05/2019 at 11:32 AM, Jeddie said:

I use the Beyonwiz. I know they are not the cheapest.

Unpolished and buggy. Remote lags to hell.

I regret getting the Beyonwiz U4.

Edited by Serpeant

On 20/05/2019 at 12:09 AM, Serpeant said:

Unpolished and buggy. Remote lags to hell.

I regret getting the Beyonwiz U4.

are these still current re handle our current day broadcasts. haven't been up beyond wiz for a while ? its a pity to hear re bugs and remote though. these and the toppy used to be it at one stage :) 

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
On 14/05/2019 at 11:52 AM, Benje said:

I have a Topfield 2400 Masterpiece which is still going great guns.

I think the HDD was replaced some years ago.

I don't use it anymore, as Foxtel now does FTA as well as satellite (and my wife won't be discontinuing Foxtel when Game of Thrones ends).

If you want something like your old technology, either replace the hard drive (it isn't difficult, if you actually manage to buy the right replacement) or buy something similar (like my Topfield, which I would happily sell for $50 plus postage).  Or, find an alternative modern day solution of course.

Benje (Adelaide)

Hi Benje.  My name is Ian from Perth.  Is your Topfield still available?