blakey72

Dynaudio Owners & Discussion Thread

I haven't heard much from the Dynaudio crowd and there must be a few out there so thought I'd start this thread. I am the owner of the very modest Dynaudio DM 3/7's. I couldn't afford anything at the time and wanted a floor stander so I got them cheap. Free in fact, hand down :) I have them hooked up to a Sansui AU- Alpha 907, Sansui cd-X711 and Cambridge Audio CXNv1 Streamer. 

I did have this hooked up to my PMC TB2+'s however one of them blew a woofer 😩 Since I've had it all up hooked up to the Dyns however haven't really tried them out with serious listening of music. I've been using my Sansui AU-4900 and Usher S-520 for this as this Ushers and accurate like the PMC's. I've also been using my Plinius combo with a pair of Mk1 Richter Merlins for rock and metal. 

My first impressions of the Dyn's were 'bright'. Brighter than I'm used to. Even brighter than the Ushers. I thought bright with Sansui....Ouch. Then I thought I'd move them around a bit. Bass got better but still bright to my ears. Then I thought reduce the toe-in by A LOT. Just 10 degrees of toe in. OMG that sounds Good. Brightness was gone, bass was good (maybe a bit muddy) but that's where I'm at atm. 25cm from rear wall and 50cm from side wall. 

I'd love to hear about your Dyn's, what you run them on, placement and your experiences.

Anyone here got experience with Dynaudio's and in particular the Special 40? I'm considering a pair and would appreciate any opinions on how they will go with a moderately powered tube amp (PrimaLuna 40W). Medium sized room at the moment (rented) but that could change. I have read that Dyn's like plenty of power so am worried that 40W just won't cut the mustard... Cheers!

I don't have any experience with the Special 40s, but if my experience with the Dm2/6, Focus 110 & the C1 IIs are anything to go with 40watts doesn't quite cut it. Dynaudios generally like amps with beefy power supplies, and they sound different (good different) when hooked up to them. 

I'm sure there are lower powered pairings out there that sound good, highly suggest you try the pairing in person if in doubt 😁

Thanks alex87 appreciate the reply. Hmm you've kind of confirmed my thoughts. It's interesting because Dyns don't really present a difficult load apart from being low sensitivity.

They don't sound bad with lower powered amps, but tend not to be very dynamic and can come across as being a bit polite. Often it takes an direct comparison to hear the difference it makes. Maybe someone who is more technically inclined can shed the light on why? 

Interesting.. there seems to be differing opinions on Dyns and their 'hard to drive' nature. Some seem to advocate high current as the critical element needed as opposed to power whereas some think high powered SS amps work best.. Obviously trialing amp and speaker together would be the ideal scenario but unfortunately thats not possible. Thanks for the replies!

I have the Contour S1.4LE, and Confidence C1. I haven't found either bright in the least, though read that the S1.4, deliberately smoothed a treble edge off from its predecessor (1.3). I'm listening to the latter now, because they just arrived today! Happy evening for sure. 

I love my Dyns. I own the Usher Mini Dancer Xs (DMD) too, and these are brighter the former two in my opinion, but beautiful in its own way - and don't find them fatiguing. I'll get on with selling the Contour over the next few weeks... 

I should add, that I took advice about the Dyn's being hard to drive early. I thought that I had dealt with it, by buying a PM8006 Merantz. Then I A/Bd the Dyn's against some Elac 243.3s, to find that the Elac's were smoking Contours! (At 1/2 the retail value and quarter the reputation). I suspected then I did need a bigger amp. So then I got a Vincent 238Mk (after temporarily running it on a Arcam class D). The big Vincent REALLY revealed all the joy hiding inside my Contour's all along. So, in my experience, yes harder to drive. They want power and current. But then the Special 40s I think are easier to drive - or relatively anyway. I think the Merantz may have been okay with that. (It was a very nice amp - I kind of miss it.) I was going to get the Special 40s, but my C1s basically dropped in my lap, so I won't get them now. I'm happy for a while.

Edited by JulianR

I have a pair of dynaudio dm2/8 paired with an emotiva basx a-300 and they very good to me. I was trying to power them from a yamaha rxv-1079 (rookie error) and they sounded dull but the emotiva really wike them up. Fantastic low end from the 8" driver and they sound much much bigger than they are. My listening space is approximately 400 cubic metres and i can stand 12 metres away from them and still enjoy them loud and clean.  Thats my two bits

On 17/01/2020 at 10:08 PM, JulianR said:

I thought that I had dealt with it, by buying a PM8006 Merantz. Then I A/Bd the Dyn's against some Elac 243.3s, to find that the Elac's were smoking Contours! (At 1/2 the retail value and quarter the reputation). I suspected then I did need a bigger amp. So then I got a Vincent 238Mk (after temporarily running it on a Arcam class D). The big Vincent REALLY revealed all the joy hiding inside my Contour's all along. So, in my experience, yes harder to drive. They want power and current. But then the Special 40s I think are easier to drive - or relatively anyway. I think the Merantz may have been okay with that. (It was a very nice amp - I kind of miss it.) I was going to get the Special 40s, but my C1s basically dropped in my lap, so I won't get them now. I'm happy for a while.

This is really interesting to me, as I have that exact amp and have been contemplating various Dyns (Contour 20s, Special 40s) to pair with it (after saving the $$$). Based on what you're saying, I might be barking up the wrong tree.

Might have to budget an amp as well, if I go that route, although I suspect that I too would miss the Marantz. 

T

On 17/02/2020 at 10:40 PM, twofires said:

This is really interesting to me, as I have that exact amp and have been contemplating various Dyns (Contour 20s, Special 40s) to pair with it (after saving the $$$). Based on what you're saying, I might be barking up the wrong tree.

Might have to budget an amp as well, if I go that route, although I suspect that I too would miss the Marantz. 

The beautiful thing about this second-hand sale forum here is you can basically sell the Marantz and the loss you wear on that, you are able to make up on something with more power. When the C1s came up, I sold my Marantz for $1250 and then paid $1400 for a SP331 Power Amp + Vincent SA-T7 Tube Preamplifier. Once invested in the hobby, it's moving seats around on the deck ship. (I already owned the Vincent SV238 MK - different system, but I liked it so much I was (and am) glad to stay with Vincent). 

Hi recently brought a pair of emit M20. I was wondering what sort of woofer basket do they use. I have three pics but the n20's basket doesn't seem right.

images.jpeg

Dynaudio_Emit_M20_by_OnMagFR-00001.jpg

Dynaudio-Emit-M10-copy3.jpg

Hi all,

I'm running my Special 40's with a Plinius Hautonga. Easily the best set up I've ever had. Simply more of everything. I was using a couple of bridged Rotel RB-03's (2 x 180W @ 8ohms), which I thought was killer till I hooked up the Plinius (2 x 200W @ 8ohms).  At first I though it was brighter, but really it was just my brain adjusting to hearing more information. 

So I can't offer any support for a 40W tube amp with the Dyns, but I can certainly vouch for them when they're paired with the Plinius.

I had a brief audition at Soundline Hifi in Christchurch of an Accuphase hooked up to some Sonos Faber's ( to be fair not an apples with apples test, but...) I'd go so far as to say as to say that the Dyns/Plinius combo is better.

My experience is limited, but I'm yet to hear better than the Special 40's in this price bracket. This thread has peaked my interest in the Elacs though, I keep hearing good things about them.

Cheers 😁

Posted (edited)

I saw this tweak for Dynaudio tweeters posted on fb a few weeks ago and decided to try it. 

The original post was on the Focus range but I believe many have the same housing on the back of the tweeter. 

My BM5As had some material in there but the blutak did still improve things. 

The plastic is very sturdy but popped off easily with some circlip pliers. I couldn't get it by hand. Clipped back onto tweeter easily when done

IMG_20200503_184449273.jpg

FB_IMG_1589847880554.jpg

Screenshot_20200519-102307.png

FB_IMG_1589847794131.jpg

Edited by Bunno77
Add pics

On 08/01/2020 at 5:30 PM, John0001 said:

Anyone here got experience with Dynaudio's and in particular the Special 40? I'm considering a pair and would appreciate any opinions on how they will go with a moderately powered tube amp (PrimaLuna 40W). Medium sized room at the moment (rented) but that could change. I have read that Dyn's like plenty of power so am worried that 40W just won't cut the mustard... Cheers!

@John0001, if the Dyn's you are interested in are in Adelaide (?), why don't you ask to try them with your amp? That's really the only way you can be sure of the sound you want. Try before you buy IMO, unless you like travelling down rabbit-holes...

Also, you should consider what sort of music you like, and what dimensions your listening room is - all highly relevant.

I've found Dyn's to be quite detailed and revealing, rather than 'bright', with very clean bass. A slightly warmer, richer amp (yes - with lots of power), might be a good way to go. I've owned Audience 42's, 52SE's, and Audience 80's. The best amp was my Audia Flight 2, when I had that. 

Can a Dynaudio subwoofer be used with Focus 200 XD active speakers?

Has anyone used a Sub6?

Posted (edited)

Tested one in a shop. For some reason I couldn't sync its volume level with the preamp feeding it. Visually, the unit is beautiful to look at and very compact. Sound wise, was annoying as hell trying to match the levels but otherwise it sounded very fast and musical.

Was told the best way to set it up is to connect the speakers to the sub, not the amp, so the sub could manage the cut-off frequencies. Didn't try it though. Really important: this can only be achieved in systems with a dedicated power amp (or powered speakers); there's no way of doing it with an integrated amp.

If you can, pay Denis White a visit, they are great and really supportive.

23.jpg

Edited by s7e6e
pic not displaying

Posted (edited)

double post

Edited by s7e6e

Thanks for your detailed information Dan.

I have active 200XD speakers for which the Sub6 comes with a somewhat configured preset. I couldn't picture how any cabling would go if I use the speakers digital inputs.

Harry

RCA Interconnect from Pre/Integrated to Sub6, then from Sub6 - XLR cables to 200XD speakers. With a preset, the Sub6 will perfectly integrate. Give it a go in your home if you can.

What source have people been using to XD active series speakers?