Kef LS50W and other Options

Hey cognoscenti,

Sorry, I know there will be. A collective groan with any topic including “kef” “LS50” etc.

But I am looking to really simplify our lounge system to a pair of LS50W with.a REL 528se, so a 2.1 system, something the family can easily use and that still sounds pretty reasonable.

My targeted question is, are there any other options to consider that have the same sort of functions as the LS50W that I should be considering ?

Many thanks for your thoughts,

Ray

ELAC Navis ARB 51 and Dali Callisto C maybe? John Darko compares the 3 of them in his ELAC video. Plus there's a seperate review for the Dali on his YouTube channel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray H said:

Thanks @Jonny

Will check it out. The Navis do look nice.

Thanks Jonny, he kind of advocates for the Elac, which is interesting, very nice looking little speaker.

3 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Dynaudio don't exactly have streaming built in but the Xeo and Focus XDs are brilliant. 

The streaming side is easily added

Agreed Bunno, I love the brand but a little of the polish is taken away by the extra box. The Focus 20 would be great but starting to get a bit exxy too. Thanks mate.

• Like 2

Hi Ray.

I have a pair of ls50W that I use mainly for tv work. If you haven't heard them already you may be surprised at the how low they go in the bass compared to the passive model.

I personally think you can't go wrong with them at their price point.

The only negative that springs to mind is the crappy remote and the lack of a display on the front to show volume level.

Oh.. and they are not at all "wireless"

• Like 2

There is also the lower model Kef LSX to consider. 

Here’s quite a good discussion from another forum comparing Dynaudio XEO 20 equivalent, quote 

The only point I want to make here is these two speakers have vastly different levels of "wirelessness." The KEF LS50W’s require an umbilical cable between the master and slave speaker, while the XEO 20’s do not. Furthermore the LS50W master requires wired connections from all source-types except bluetooth and those connected to your household WiFi network. The XEO 20’s, on the other hand, can be fed all source types wirelessly from Dynaudio’s Connect/Hub device, which does the chore of receiving all the wired inputs (including analogue) and then broadcasting them to the speakers over its own native wireless connection (including to multiple sets of XEO’s in multiple rooms/zones).

In practice therefore, the XEO 20’s are far more "wireless" and can, in fact, be placed anywhere within a powercord’s length of an power outlet, irrespective of the location of your source equipment, and without running a stupid wire between the L & R speakers. This is a significant advantage in terms of equipment placement options, WAF and future-proofing.”

Wider discussion in the original link here https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/dynaudio-xeo-20-vs-kef-ls50-wireless

On balance the Ls50w is still worthy.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 2

Well I think that’s really making point no such thing as wireless really !

so instead of running speaker wire to each instead have to run not only power to one and umbilical to other in both case I bet you that’s still a pair of wires going to each ... just as would have with speaker cable ?

abd then there’s running source cables upto one. Hardly wireless abd could be messy even if looking for the cable free look ?

and even if going to hub solution atleast it gets rid of umbilical and having to run source to speaker ... but still you have a pair of wires running to each to power ... so why not instead run speaker cable instead ? Atleast won’t need power points for each speaker and they are still not wireless anyways. and if happy with a hub then why not use an amp dac or source amp instead ... these can be quite compact if want too ...

the wireless fallacy seems as strong as the active one :D I’d suggest ... does it really matter if amp in the speaker or outside ? It’s still powered ?

• Like 2

I reckon a pair of Apple Homepods would be worth considering and plenty spare change left. I dont own one as I’m waiting for enough of them to flood Gumtree so I can snap them up cheaper.

A few things to work out and some plusses:

1. Can a sub woofer connect to them or perhaps a wireless one.
  2. Have to be happy with Apple compatibility, Apple persecutors excluded.
  3. Great WAF small, compact and cuddly
  4. omni directional sound for the whole family, even kids hanging off the ceiling can enjoy them.
  5. Auto self correction for room positioning.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Al.M said:

omni directional sound for the whole family

why do you need a pair then? Not a criticism, I'm a card carrying Apple Fanboi. However I won't get one until they allow 3rd party streaming services

9 hours ago, blybo said:

why do you need a pair then

Just to fill the room enough otherwise only a single 4 inch woofer and a stereo pair of Omni should be more fun.

On 13/05/2019 at 9:59 PM, Tony B said:

The only negative that springs to mind is the crappy remote

Is it an infra-red remote? Could pair it with a bigger (better to hold in hand) programmable/learning remote?

Edited by Music2496

1 hour ago, Music2496 said:

Is it an infra-red remote? Could pair it with a bigger (better to hold in hand) programmable/learning remote?

Yes it is and have done just that.

On 13/05/2019 at 9:46 PM, betty boop said:

Well I think that’s really making point no such thing as wireless really !

so instead of running speaker wire to each instead have to run not only power to one and umbilical to other in both case I bet you that’s still a pair of wires going to each ... just as would have with speaker cable ?

abd then there’s running source cables upto one. Hardly wireless abd could be messy even if looking for the cable free look ?

and even if going to hub solution atleast it gets rid of umbilical and having to run source to speaker ... but still you have a pair of wires running to each to power ... so why not instead run speaker cable instead ? Atleast won’t need power points for each speaker and they are still not wireless anyways. and if happy with a hub then why not use an amp dac or source amp instead ... these can be quite compact if want too ...

the wireless fallacy seems as strong as the active one :D I’d suggest ... does it really matter if amp in the speaker or outside ? It’s still powered ?

This was basically my point that I mentioned in the other thread! :D

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the thoughts guys.

i guess I am inclined to want to hear the new Navi’s from Elac.

Or do I just bite the smaller caliber bullet and buy say the Dynaudio Focus 20xd or even the Devialet silver or gold as a pairing, which a lot of pretty serious audiophiles on this site have espoused.

Or jus bite the full bullet, like I have been considering for years in the KII Audio three’s.

Common sense currently says KEF LS50W nocturne with the REL 528SE, the sub out is a really attractive feature for me when considering these smaller speakers, which will probably be used 50% music and 50% theatre/tv...

19 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Or do I just bite the smaller caliber bullet and buy say the Dynaudio Focus 20xd or even the Devialet silver or gold as a pairing, which a lot of pretty serious audiophiles on this site have espoused.

If you are considering the Devialet Phantoms, highly recommend a pair of Golds.  My story:

• Like 1

Hi Ray,

I looked into dynaudio speakers and compared them to the LS50 wireless and after listening to them both I went for the KEFs. as was mentioned in previous posts, the dynaudios are more "Wireless" but the KEF's sound much better and have more to offer IMHO. 
I recently paired them with a couple of KEF KUBE 10's and I am very happy with the end result. as good as wireless is, I feel that wired transfer of audio will always be superior but again that's my opinion.  

I work for apple and the home pods are a great bit of kit but they are not even comparable to Dynaudio/KEF's for audio quality but they are fantastic at their price point. if you have money to burn you can link up quite a few of them and have them all playing the same song at once (which is impressive). we've got 12 linked currently in store for kicks and they do well considering however If I could do it all over again I would still make the same choice and go for the LS50w / Kube set up I am running now. 

10 hours ago, Ben H said:

Hi Ray,

I looked into dynaudio speakers and compared them to the LS50 wireless and after listening to them both I went for the KEFs. as was mentioned in previous posts, the dynaudios are more "Wireless" but the KEF's sound much better and have more to offer IMHO. 
I recently paired them with a couple of KEF KUBE 10's and I am very happy with the end result. as good as wireless is, I feel that wired transfer of audio will always be superior but again that's my opinion.  

I work for apple and the home pods are a great bit of kit but they are not even comparable to Dynaudio/KEF's for audio quality but they are fantastic at their price point. if you have money to burn you can link up quite a few of them and have them all playing the same song at once (which is impressive). we've got 12 linked currently in store for kicks and they do well considering however If I could do it all over again I would still make the same choice and go for the LS50w / Kube set up I am running now. 

Dynaudio Xeo I'm guessing?