Sign in to follow this  
jbpstereo

Oppo or bust?

Hiya!

I've had a second-hand Oppo in mind but I'm wondering if there are other players in the market that can take an HDMI signal in (from an Apple TV for instance) and output HDMI to a television as well as PCM audio via a SPDIF coax to a DAC.

I've had terrible luck with el cheapo HDMI->SPDIF converters - my Wadia PowerDAC refuses to make anything but noise (but works perfectly with a SqueezeBox or Allo doing the transport job).

Thanks for any leads!

Jason

ahhh, an OPPO won't split hdmi into hdmi video and non-hdmi digital audion.

It will convert the hdmi audio into analogue, or will pass the audio through as hdmi (with some options here, but only through hdmi).

Good luck

Benje

Pansonic UB-9000, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Pionner LX500 all have coax RCA outputs, but they are more expensive than a used Oppo 103/105.

I avoided the cheap eBay HDMI converters.  Instead, have had success with a HDMI De-embedder using optical output; have not tried coax RCA.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909140-REG/kanexpro_haecoax_audio_de_embedder_with_3d.html

1 hour ago, Benje said:

ahhh, an OPPO won't split hdmi into hdmi video and non-hdmi digital audion.

It will convert the hdmi audio into analogue, or will pass the audio through as hdmi (with some options here, but only through hdmi).

Good luck

Benje

I see - thanks Benje!

Jason

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Pansonic UB-9000, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Pionner LX500 all have coax RCA outputs, but they are more expensive than a used Oppo 103/105.

I avoided the cheap eBay HDMI converters.  Instead, have had success with a HDMI De-embedder using optical output; have not tried coax RCA.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909140-REG/kanexpro_haecoax_audio_de_embedder_with_3d.html

Thanks Snoop. It seems that a quality HDMI de-embedder may be the best option. Maybe third time lucky! :-)

Jason

Posted (edited)

When I had the Devialet Phantoms I was running HDMI into the Oppo 105 and then via optical into the Phantoms and it worked fine. TV took HDMI and I just left the TV volume at zero. Optical output was downmixed stereo only. Isn't this what you want to do?

Have you tried your TV optical out?

Could the problem be that you are sending multi channel out of the ATV optical? Is there an option to set it to stereo?

Edited by SteveC

16 hours ago, SteveC said:

When I had the Devialet Phantoms I was running HDMI into the Oppo 105 and then via optical into the Phantoms and it worked fine. TV took HDMI and I just left the TV volume at zero. Optical output was downmixed stereo only. Isn't this what you want to do?

Have you tried your TV optical out?

Could the problem be that you are sending multi channel out of the ATV optical? Is there an option to set it to stereo?

Yep, this is exactly what I want to do, and was under the impression that it would work...

I've tried all sorts of troubleshooting with the el-cheapo HDMI extractor and have put it down to either an HDMI 1.4 vs 2 issue, an audio format issue, poor Engrish instructions for the extractor, or bad luck.

I might give it another go when I next have the patience!

Jason

On 13/05/2019 at 12:27 PM, jbpstereo said:

Hiya!

I've had a second-hand Oppo in mind but I'm wondering if there are other players in the market that can take an HDMI signal in (from an Apple TV for instance) and output HDMI to a television as well as PCM audio via a SPDIF coax to a DAC.

I've had terrible luck with el cheapo HDMI->SPDIF converters - my Wadia PowerDAC refuses to make anything but noise (but works perfectly with a SqueezeBox or Allo doing the transport job).

Thanks for any leads!

Jason

Hey Jason, check out the Bluwave HD12DB, it does HDMI to optical, I'm not sure if this helps you in your situation or not but they are quality products.

Screenshot_20190717-113036.png

Just a follow up the hd11au only accept 2channel bitstream, the HD12db downmixes 5.1 to two channel but has not released yet, it will be later this year

On 13/05/2019 at 3:14 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Do you know if it downmixes 5.1 to two channel? Thanks

13 minutes ago, Farpun said:

Do you know if it downmixes 5.1 to two channel? Thanks

I assume you are asking about the Kanex Pro HDMI de-embedder. The answer is no, it does not downmix.  

36 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I assume you are asking about the Kanex Pro HDMI de-embedder. The answer is no, it does not downmix.  

Yes I was, thankyou

Thanks guys - very helpful. The BluStream might be the one to go for...

Jason