Sign in to follow this  
deafwish

Yamaha RXV863 & music settings

Hi all,

I recently got a Yamaha RXV863 AVR to power my Mission speakers and I'm chasing some technical help as to the best settings for music listening.

The best sound I can achieve is on '7 channel enhancer' but you get sound from the centre speaker & my bright sounding Bose Cube rears. Not ideal.

Is there a setting I haven't found for a basic 2.1 setup (mains & sub)?

Sorry for the n00b question - but I've read the stupidly enourmous manual & can't find the answer.

Daz.

I would be looking for Pure Direct mode or a Stereo mode, no idea if it supports 2.1 stereo but it may just be a simple matter of crossover settings or setting all speakers to small on some AVR's allows sub use with mains. I'm not keen on those "all stereo" party modes/sound fields myself.

Hey Wayne,

From what I can make out, Pure Direct & stereo mode do not allow the sub to operate.

I'd love to know if there's an alternative!

Could someone possibly steer me in the direction of a store that might know this?

I have the same receiver. Pure direct disables the sub.

I just use 'straight' mode for listening to music if I want the sub. I usually use pure direct though, cause it sounds better to me and I don't really need the sub for most of my music.

Just make sure you don't have any dynamic range compression turned on or anything.

Thanks for the advice!

This is just what I needed!

In relation to the Dynamic Range, do you have it on 'STD', 'MIN/AUTO' or 'MAX'?

What does it do?!

Edited by deafwish

Be careful with that setting and read the manual first. From memory it is not what you think and is actually the opposite. I thing MAX is not maximum dynamic range but maximum compression of dynamic range!

Again read the manual on that section regarding the dynamic range settings so you know exactly what you are adjusting.

Also from memory DR settings don't work on LPCM signals (like those off CD) only on DD and the other movie audio outputs - but don't quote me on that, check it first.

NFA

Thanks NFA.

Excuse my ignorance but I have read your above statement & the manual numerous times abour DR & am still confused (not difficult)!

How is the 'maximum' setting not it's maximum?! Not making sence...

For ideal sound reproduction in music & movies, what settings should be selected?

I haven't read the manual as I didn't want to register. I would have assumed STD (standard) would equal no compression hence full dynamic range. This is the setting I would be using. Without reading the manual I don't know what MIN/AUTO would do. MAX I would assume would apply maximum compression. An example of a use for this setting is say you wanted to watch a movie late at night and don't want to annoy the neighbours or rest of the family. You will have noticed many movies have quite a large DR, i.e. some speech can be very quiet requiring you to have the volume wound up a bit then all of a sudden a gun shot / explosion / car crash etc will happen and you will almost jump off the couch. With the DR set to max these louder events will be reduced in level so that you can listen at an overall volume that lets you hear everything with out the bang/crash stuff waking the neighbours.

I find the less compression the better as it will have more impact and convey more emotion.

Deafwish

I know on Onkyo & Integra units you can choose to have the sub on in stereo, direct or pure modes.

U just needs to find the page and menu. I would think Yamaha would be similar

Chewie

Deafwish

I know on Onkyo & Integra units you can choose to have the sub on in stereo, direct or pure modes.

Chewie

Same with my Denon too

I have the model before it, the 663, and if you are using your setup for both music and HT, what I normally do is when I listen to music, I just disable the subwoofer and choose my fronts as large, and for much of my cd collection, I just need to adjust the bass/treble -2/+2 for 2ch stereo mode and thats it. Oh and if you have for HT when you set up usign the Auto feature, if you picked Flat for the equalizer process during auto setup, just set that feature to off when listening to music. (I use the flat mode for HT). That will do until I find a decent 2ch stereo preamp to integrate that into my HT setup.

But with how expensive the products here are locally, I am not rushing to buy anything.