Sign in to follow this  
blakey72

Placing speakers as close to the front wall as possible?

17 hours ago, PKay said:

Audio Note speakers are designed to be placed in corners - great WAF as it gets them out of the way.

That's the key, if they are designed to be placed there It's all good :thumb:

I'd like the Hemp ones if I was shopping for some :heart:

Posted (edited)

I found placement of the (ex)missus worked best for me, I placed her out the door. It even sounds better when the stereo is off.

Edited by t_mike

2 minutes ago, t_mike said:

I found placement of the (ex)missus worked best for me, I placed her out the door. It even sounds better when the stereo is off.

Hear hear

For 4 x 4m room try around 80-90cm from wall to front speaker baffle, 2.5m apart with 0.7m distance from side walls, your head against the opposite wall with a 2.5-3.0m listening triangle.

11 hours ago, Al.M said:

For 4 x 4m room try around 80-90cm from wall to front speaker baffle, 2.5m apart with 0.7m distance from side walls, your head against the opposite wall with a 2.5-3.0m listening triangle.

Yep I'll give that a try today. Thanks

Could the idea of this positioning close to the wall in a small room have something to do with eliminating bass nulls?

My listening space is quite small, and I discovered I had a suckout at around 60Hz. This was due to bass waves reflecting and creating waves of opposing phase (hence the suckout).

The treatment (after some reading) was to move the speakers closer to the room boundaries (i.e. Front wall).

exactly the same issue with my room , the bass response is full of dips , closer to the wall makes ot better but the front wall being all glass pretty much doesnt help, the downside is the soundstage gets smaller against the wall

It's fair to say you can disregard any advice from an article that claims wall mounted studio speakes have rear firing ports.

The article is written for studio owners. It makes sense in that context where it's about mixing decisions and getting SBIR to behave is more important. In that context, the speakers might either be soffit mounted or on a mixing desk not far from the front wall - a nearfield monitoring situation where you don't get the kind of sound stage we all want at home.

At home, the offset from the wall behind the speakers has more impact on the sound stage. For many, getting this aspect right trumps SBIR.

3 hours ago, Lx4man said:

glass pretty much doesnt help

Whether it’s glass, wall plaster or concrete sound is generally going to reflect the same on any non absorbent and uniform material surface.

There will be room modes or 10dB+ increase within 1m of walls (two reflecting surfaces) and corners worse (three reflecting surfaces). 

Just experiment and move speaker within 0.5-1m of wall and see what sounds best. Also don’t have too sparse a room, fill the room with enough objects (sofa, cabinets, shelves etc) out of the way of speaker sound path but to breakup reflections to create a more non-uniform space, see how that sounds and then if no good revert to sound absorption pads etc. not the other way around.

i was under the impression that large glass windows absorb low frequency ? thats the what i put it down to when i moved to my current house and the low frequencies were full of troughs , i definately may be wrong though and it may just be cancellation due to room dimensions/design .

Whether it’s glass, wall plaster or concrete sound is generally going to reflect the same on any non absorbent and uniform material surface.

There will be room modes or 10dB+ increase within 1m of walls (two reflecting surfaces) and corners worse (three reflecting surfaces). 

Just experiment and move speaker within 0.5-1m of wall and see what sounds best. Also don’t have too sparse a room, fill the room with enough objects (sofa, cabinets, shelves etc) out of the way of speaker sound path but to breakup reflections to create a more non-uniform space, see how that sounds and then if no good revert to sound absorption pads etc. not the other way around.
Finding this thread highly amusing.
When did equipment and room sound dynamics, become more important than the MUSIC it self?

Sweet spots, dead spots, low spots, blah, blah, blah. Give me a wet spot every time.

Walls are like trees on highways... hazardous to ones wellbeing. Just knock them down, l as say.

Seriously, doesn't matter were l sit, my music sounds great to me. Albeit, my system only cost me 5k. Maybe that's it.
The more we spend, the more unhappy we get.

I'm about to upgrade my equipment and spend another 10k, so I'm about to become a real sad bastard.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lx4man said:

I was under the impression that large glass windows absorb low frequency?

They don't actually absorb but allow bass energy to pass through more so the end result is the same in that glass windows and doors are considerably better than solid walls.

Edited by Satanica

12 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Finding this thread highly amusing.
When did equipment and room sound dynamics, become more important than the MUSIC it self?

Sweet spots, dead spots, low spots, blah, blah, blah. Give me a wet spot every time.

Walls are like trees on highways... hazardous to ones wellbeing. Just knock them down, l as say.

Seriously, doesn't matter were l sit, my music sounds great to me. Albeit, my system only cost me 5k. Maybe that's it.
The more we spend, the more unhappy we get.

I'm about to upgrade my equipment and spend another 10k, so I'm about to become a real sad bastard.

When did equipment and room sound dynamics, become more important than the MUSIC it self?

Answer: never

But the aim is to make the music as enjoyable as possible and optimizing your equipment and room will give you the best bang for your buck, and enhance the enjoyment of the music.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, awayward said:

When did equipment and room sound dynamics, become more important than the MUSIC it self?

Answer: never

But the aim is to make the music as enjoyable as possible and optimizing your equipment and room will give you the best bang for your buck, and enhance the enjoyment of the music.

All factors are important, we are just answering more precisely what the original post asked for specifically in his given room dimensions and linked article. The question was not about MUSIC being more important something else.

However, it’s a fact experienced by many that bad positioning and selection of equipment considerably affects the sound quality if one doesn’t pay enough attention. But then again if one is blissfully unaware or don’t care about those issues in the first place then you are right it really doesn’t matter. A single Apple HomePod speaker sounds really nice.

D281E643-DE58-4363-A7A5-DA9EBB3B68AC.jpeg

Edited by Al.M

All factors are important, we are just answering more precisely what the original post asked for specifically in his given room dimensions and linked article. The question was not about MUSIC being more important something else.

However, it’s a fact experienced by many that bad positioning and selection of equipment considerably affects the sound quality if one doesn’t pay enough attention. But then again if one is blissfully unaware or don’t care about those issues in the first place then you are right it really doesn’t matter. A single Apple HomePod speaker sounds really nice.
D281E643-DE58-4363-A7A5-DA9EBB3B68AC.jpeg.59602a286cc70c2c2f8ee10372e0beea.jpeg
Good reaction. Just having a light hearted moment. Just adding a bit of levity to the situation. But seriously, l don't have a problem with speaker positioning. But l draw the line at sticking egg cartons on the wall...Just kidding.