Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Gadget

Surround speaker placement

I think I'm going to go with the Krix Dynamix, just hoping and waiting for a EOFY sale at Selby Acoustics.

Posted (edited)

Can I jump in with a question - similar challenges?

One one side I can fit a surround (in-wall or wall-mount) at 90deg. On the other side, though, it would have to be 85deg or slightly less (window limits placement). Will this work or will I need to place speakers in a rear channel location?

@betty boop@Peter the Greek@Quark Others?

Edited by givita_burl

9 minutes ago, givita_burl said:

Can I jump in with a question - similar challenges?

One one side I can fit a surround (in-wall or wall-mount) at 90deg. On the other side, though, it would have to be 85deg or slightly less (window limits placement). Will this work or will I need to place speakers in a rear channel location?

@betty boop@Peter the Greek@Quark Others?

While not ideal, a difference of only ~5 degrees isn't likely to be noticeable in most soundtracks. Are you able to mount both at 85 degrees? IMO this would be preferable.

I've run a 5.1 system in the past with surrounds placed at the rear due to room constraints and it sounded fine to my ears, so IMO this is also a good option if you're only looking for 5.1, not 7.1.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

While not ideal, a difference of only ~5 degrees isn't likely to be noticeable in most soundtracks. Are you able to mount both at 85 degrees? IMO this would be preferable.

I've run a 5.1 system in the past with surrounds placed at the rear due to room constraints and it sounded fine to my ears, so IMO this is also a good option if you're only looking for 5.1, not 7.1. 

No problems mounting both at approx. 85deg.

Going Atmos, so was thinking 5.1.4 - ceiling placements will be no issue. I have thought about 7.1.4 but not sure how beneficial that would be. I can do both.

On-wall/in-wall works at side location and will potentially yield best timbral match. Placement in rear position also feasible but would be bookshelf mount.

2 minutes ago, givita_burl said:

No problems mounting both at approx. 85deg.

Going Atmos, so was thinking 5.1.4 - ceiling placements will be no issue. I have thought about 7.1.4 but not sure how beneficial that would be. I can do both.

On-wall/in-wall works at side location and will potentially yield best timbral match. Placement in rear position also feasible but would be bookshelf mount.

If you've got room for 4 Atmos ceiling speakers, then I'd recommend going with the rear surrounds as well for the full immersive effect.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

If you've got room for 4 Atmos ceiling speakers, then I'd recommend going with the rear surrounds as well for the full immersive effect.

I am just doing a bit of reading on that as we speak.🤔

1 minute ago, givita_burl said:

I am just doing a bit of reading on that as we speak.🤔

as per quark if doing rear heights, definitely do rear surrounds as well if possible. it will give the rear heights more height reference. ie some differential in the rear above the rear surrounds. if running two front heights cost to get another two rears will add nothing much to the install :) we have much native 7 ch material these days... and even if dont dolby surround these days does a great job of upmixing :) so well worth it for a really immersive mix...ends up like sitting in a bubble :) 

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

as per quark if doing rear heights, definitely do rear surrounds as well if possible. it will give the rear heights more height reference. ie some differential in the rear above the rear surrounds. if running two front heights cost to get another two rears will add nothing much to the install :) we have much native 7 ch material these days... and even if dont dolby surround these days does a great job of upmixing :) so well worth it for a really immersive mix...ends up like sitting in a bubble :) 

Persuasive arguments for 7.2.4. Will adding the rear speakers to the setup lessen some of the challenges of having slightly forward surrounds?

14 minutes ago, givita_burl said:

Persuasive arguments for 7.2.4. Will adding the rear speakers to the setup lessen some of the challenges of having slightly forward surrounds?

honestly as quark said there is no big deal in a bit of discrepancy in angles. I dont think even matter too much if one slightly out than the other. you are going to no doubt measure and eq with the processor and will make up for any slight variations in distance as such. at end it will measure up and will place a pretty decent sound field. we all have some sort of compromises in our rooms. not been to one without something or other. just matter of making best of it. :)

Posted (edited)

I've decided to go with a 7.2.2 arrangement because my current in ceilings are above my head (slightly behind actually, probably around 100 degrees) and according to Dolby this position is on the limit. To go with 4 in ceilings, I'd have to move them and don't really want to do that.

I'll re evaluate once I actually get it all setup and actually buy an Atmos pre-pro/AVR.

Edited by Mr_Gadget

11 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

I've decided to go with a 7.2.2 arrangement because my current in ceilings are above my head (slightly behind actually, probably around 100 degrees) and according to Dolby this position is on the limit. To go with 4 in ceilings, I'd have to move them and don't really want to do that.

I'll re evaluate once I actually get it all setup and actually buy an Atmos pre-pro/AVR.

yes if sitting you'd want a set above and ahead and one set above and behind... putting one set above and one set ahead / behind would be a bit of a stretch on the spec. unless going the 7.2.6 approach which is complete and utter over kill and unnecessary for just about any domestic setup id say... unless a HUGE very spread out room that might need something like that. 

all that said... if movin ...holes are easily patched ( I kept my cut outs ! ).... to end up with more plaster over and in a hole than had to start with. i am confident if i patched a hole with sheet above hole, sheet in the hole I'd end up with a stronger better sealed result than started with and confident in my patching/finishing  skills no one would be any wiser.... :D

that said there is no need to move mine and I'd suggest it  would be VERY messy business... anything with plastering is ... but do say that as a hack home amateur, that does anything with plaster very rarely...rather than someone who does it day in day out ! :D  

When calculating angles for rear surround, do you measure distance from MLP to back wall or back wall minus speaker depth?

2 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

When calculating angles for rear surround, do you measure distance from MLP to back wall or back wall minus speaker depth?

would be to speakers....

3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

would be to speakers....

Cool, doesn't make much difference considering wall mount speakers are not very deep.