Surround speaker placement

Hi, I've been struggling to come up with the best solution to my speaker location position. 

Due to room constraints I can't realistically put surround speakers to the side of listening position and in walls are not likely to happen either.

Is it a crime to have the side surrounds further back angled to couch (see photos). In theory it should be better than using my in ceilings ( these can be setup as Atmos top middle in future).

I was going to use these as surround backs but may forgo this if I can't put side surrounds on the side of couch and just end up with a 5.1.2 setup.

IMG_20190512_102046730.jpg

IMG_20190512_102032121.jpg

Edited by Mr_Gadget

3 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Is it a crime to have the side surrounds further back angled to couch (see photos). In theory it should be better than using my in ceilings ( these can be setup as Atmos top middle in future).

personally I dont really understand what is the bother of having them(side surrounds) wall mounted just back of the back to future posted in the first photo ? I wouldjust use some bi-poles there. so not firing right in your ears

the speakers you have floor mounted I would just utilise as rear speakers there in rear location  in a classic 7.1 orientation.

https://blog.dolby.com/upgrade-home-theater-system-dolby-atmos/

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 11.14.06 am.png

the in ceilings I'd re allocate for atmos heights :)

I dont know what you rest of your surrounds are but you could even consider the krix dynamic on wall. 

https://www.selby.com.au/krix-dynamix-on-wall-main-speaker.html

https://www.krix.com.au/dynamix-mk3/

Dynamix-Mk2-Black-Woodgrain-500x500.jpg

there quite narrow at 245mm wide so won't be imposing too much visualy on the space.  

I wouldn't put them super high up. say 300-600mm above head height would still give enough height differential for any in ceiling atmos heights 

• Like 1

The problem is the right surround would constantly get knocked when walking past the couch. I don't want to keep removing them off the wall when not in use.

just dont put them on ear level. slightly above is just fine atmos will still work fine... eg above shoulder level then wont brush pass !  

as long as enough of a differential ... it will be fine... I imagine you have at least 600-900 mm to walk past on the right side ? 

3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

just dont put them on ear level. slightly above is just fine atmos will still work fine... eg shoulder level then wont brush pass !  

as long as enough of a differential ... it will be fine... I imagine you have at least 600-900 mm to walk past on the right side ? 

Just under 600

Just now, Mr_Gadget said:

Just under 600

thats enough.... i would suggest if you go above shoulder level with something :) dont forget something like the krix wall mounts point down as it is :) narrow at the bottom and widens up above....

keep it so not next to couch but like on the other side along the back side edge... will be fine...

I have right side surround on a pillar about 640mm from side of couch and above shoulder level and works well with heights I have :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Quark said:

I had similar issues when I did my recent room build and used the Krix Dynamix betty suggested above - see here for photos.

with the krix having the inverted arrangement with tweeter below also helps for the differential for heights.... every little bit helps :D  

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

thats enough.... i would suggest if you go above shoulder level with something :) dont forget something like the krix wall mounts point down as it is :) narrow at the bottom and widens up above....

keep it so not next to couch but like on the other side along the back side edge... will be fine...

I have right side surround on a pillar about 640mm from side of couch and above shoulder level and works well with heights I have :)

Problem with left surround location is that I run out of wall :)

IMG_20190512_114902689.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Problem with left surround location is that I run out of wall :)

~

rubbish !  :Pjust move the pictures aside to right a tad. the surround is only 245m wide ! even the gap between the picture and upright as it is looks wide enough ! 

where there is a will there is a way. if you dont want to do it you'll find 101 reasons why not :D 

54 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

No I meant if I wanted the right surround to be a little bit behind the couch to give a bit more passing space then the left surround wouldn't be in line with right surround

not sure if did have a look at the dolby recommendation I posted earlier ? . :) 

it says 90 degree which is directly side on to as far back as 110 deg looking at the shots of your right and left I cant see to be honest what the bother is ... unless you are creating problems for your self :P ... ie more reasons not to :D 

I would quite simply plonk the one on the left and match the one on the right to suit :) even if directly bang on the couch you will be fine just lift height enough to be above shoulder as mentioned before. my surrounds are either side of couch at 90 deg and work fine.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Quark said:

I had similar issues when I did my recent room build and used the Krix Dynamix betty suggested above - see here for photos.

Your room looks great. How high from the floor is the bottom of the Krix Dynamix ?  Looks like your ceilings are decent height, mines just standard 2.4m.

• Like 1

Your room looks great. How high from the floor is the bottom of the Krix Dynamix ?  Looks like your ceilings are decent height, mines just standard 2.4m.

They're ~189cm from the floor - ceiling is 2.7m.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I jump in with a question - similar challenges?

One one side I can fit a surround (in-wall or wall-mount) at 90deg. On the other side, though, it would have to be 85deg or slightly less (window limits placement). Will this work or will I need to place speakers in a rear channel location?

@betty boop@Peter the Greek@Quark Others?

Edited by givita_burl

9 minutes ago, givita_burl said:

Can I jump in with a question - similar challenges?

One one side I can fit a surround (in-wall or wall-mount) at 90deg. On the other side, though, it would have to be 85deg or slightly less (window limits placement). Will this work or will I need to place speakers in a rear channel location?

@betty boop@Peter the Greek@Quark Others?

While not ideal, a difference of only ~5 degrees isn't likely to be noticeable in most soundtracks. Are you able to mount both at 85 degrees? IMO this would be preferable.

I've run a 5.1 system in the past with surrounds placed at the rear due to room constraints and it sounded fine to my ears, so IMO this is also a good option if you're only looking for 5.1, not 7.1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quark said:

While not ideal, a difference of only ~5 degrees isn't likely to be noticeable in most soundtracks. Are you able to mount both at 85 degrees? IMO this would be preferable.

I've run a 5.1 system in the past with surrounds placed at the rear due to room constraints and it sounded fine to my ears, so IMO this is also a good option if you're only looking for 5.1, not 7.1. 

No problems mounting both at approx. 85deg.

Going Atmos, so was thinking 5.1.4 - ceiling placements will be no issue. I have thought about 7.1.4 but not sure how beneficial that would be. I can do both.

On-wall/in-wall works at side location and will potentially yield best timbral match. Placement in rear position also feasible but would be bookshelf mount.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, givita_burl said:

No problems mounting both at approx. 85deg.

Going Atmos, so was thinking 5.1.4 - ceiling placements will be no issue. I have thought about 7.1.4 but not sure how beneficial that would be. I can do both.

On-wall/in-wall works at side location and will potentially yield best timbral match. Placement in rear position also feasible but would be bookshelf mount.

If you've got room for 4 Atmos ceiling speakers, then I'd recommend going with the rear surrounds as well for the full immersive effect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, givita_burl said:

I am just doing a bit of reading on that as we speak.?

as per quark if doing rear heights, definitely do rear surrounds as well if possible. it will give the rear heights more height reference. ie some differential in the rear above the rear surrounds. if running two front heights cost to get another two rears will add nothing much to the install :) we have much native 7 ch material these days... and even if dont dolby surround these days does a great job of upmixing :) so well worth it for a really immersive mix...ends up like sitting in a bubble :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

as per quark if doing rear heights, definitely do rear surrounds as well if possible. it will give the rear heights more height reference. ie some differential in the rear above the rear surrounds. if running two front heights cost to get another two rears will add nothing much to the install :) we have much native 7 ch material these days... and even if dont dolby surround these days does a great job of upmixing :) so well worth it for a really immersive mix...ends up like sitting in a bubble :) 

Persuasive arguments for 7.2.4. Will adding the rear speakers to the setup lessen some of the challenges of having slightly forward surrounds?