PB 2000 advice needed

Hey guys, I just purchased a SVS PB 2000 to compliment my Dali Zensor 7's and Zensor Vokal, setup in 5.1 And Yamaha RX V1085.

However the sub seems a bit underwhelming, at "recommended volume" (half on the back of sub). Basically the sub at that volume, doesn't even replace the bass that the speakers had by themselves (calibrated through the YPAO Mic).

I know I can just turn the volume on the sub up... But from what I have read, half volume should be more then enough?

Thanks for helping out noob lol

• Like 1

Actually just now through experimenting, I think it might be that the sub doesn't receive as wide a frequency range for the bass as the speakers (when no sub is active within the settings)?

34 minutes ago, Woody982 said:

Hey guys, I just purchased a SVS PB 2000 to compliment my Dali Zensor 7's and Zensor Vokal, setup in 5.1 And Yamaha RX V1085.

However the sub seems a bit underwhelming, at "recommended volume" (half on the back of sub). Basically the sub at that volume, doesn't even replace the bass that the speakers had by themselves (calibrated through the YPAO Mic).

I know I can just turn the volume on the sub up... But from what I have read, half volume should be more then enough?

Thanks for helping out noob lol

ypao usually sucks as far as EQ and integration of subs. 

with a sub location location location is most important. things like eq and setup are really the final stage.

where are you seated and where is the sub located ?

are you sitting bang in the centre of a the room, in most rooms that is a null and no amount of sub or eq will help. ideal you want to be not on the back wall either where most gain but about the 2/3rd room depth. sub location too is important.

read this re sub placement

https://www.avhub.com.au/features/hi-fi/subwoofer-placement-394396

read this re sub controls,

https://www.avhub.com.au/features/hi-fi/how-to-set-subwoofer-controls-405267

• Like 1

cAV5qwO.jpgOk, so this the room, however behind the couch is the kitchen and dining area. After doing the sub crawl ive put it in this position (havent tested yet), before it was on the right side next to the floor speaker.

I did notice during the sub crawl, it was significantly weaker where I had it compared to where I have now put it

Edited by Woody982

some possible problems.

open room

wanting the sub at the front in a particular spot because thats where it looks the best

going from a boomy sub that is loud but not exactly accurate

think you will find these subs like to run hot ie: above 50%

ypao is a piece of crap based on my use of an earlier rxa3030 version

even facing the sub in a different direction can change outcomes

need to experiment more i think.

9 minutes ago, Woody982 said:

Have edited my previous post to include photo ?

I'd say got more work to do... use the links I provided ...

dont underestimate the work required to integrate a sub... open plan living brings its own challenges.... placing yourself in the room is just as important as placing the sub. even an ideally placed sub for the room ... if put yourself in the wrong spot could mean it sounds inadequate....

wouldnt be relying too much on ypao to be the magic wand :D 

I'm a bit of a noob with adjusting all the different settings, but after putting it in the new spot and turning the volume up on the sub (about 2 o'clock) sounds loads better (And doing YPAO again). I might go into a more in depth setup process once I learn a bit more (if I don't get lazy lol)

Thanks for your help so far guys! Really appreciated ?

Edited by Woody982
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Woody982 said:

I'm a bit of a noob with adjusting all the different settings, but after putting it in the new spot and turning the volume up on the sub (about 2 o'clock) sounds loads better (And doing YPAO again). I might go into a more in depth setup process once I learn a bit more (if I don't get lazy lol)

Good to hear you have made some progress. Don''t be too hard on yourself.   Getting a sub right is one of the more challenging issues in a setup. 

I have not used YPAO, didn't realise how poor it was with integrating a sub.  For a future upgrade, should consider Anthem Room Correction or Dirac Live.  For more reading:

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/241968-good-summary-room-correction-software/?tab=comments#comment-3856038

1 hour ago, Woody982 said:

Thanks for your help so far guys! Really appreciated ?

You might already have done this,   after running YPAO did you go back to speaker settings in amp and set speakers to small and set your crossover to 80hz?

Just did it then (in pattern 2) and switching between the two. Don't really notice much difference though? Apart from a reduction in bass being produced in the speakers?

Guest jakeyb77

Can the YPAO. It’s useless. 

I have a PB2000 at half volume and it will blow the clock off my kitchen wall in the next room.