Naim Owners

Good day fellow inmates. Was wondering whether Naim has any followers here, especially in the Adelaide region.

227200092_SistemAudio9.thumb.jpg.47f538848fbd0bffd6574951627add85.jpg

Not sure what you mean by “followers”, but I have gathered quite a few Naim boxes over the years and use a Naim CDS3/ XPS2 in my main system.

Now trying to consolidate and set up an active system with a pair of Chrome bumper Naim NAP 135s, and 250s, and Olive NAC 72/ Hicap /Naxo, CDS/CDPS. Just need to get more lines of speaker cable! Intend to use it with a pair of Linn Isobariks.

I’m in Victoria!
  • Like 1

I used to be a follower but found my taste has changed. I have however still kept my Bolt down Nap160/C.B. 32.5/ Hicap and various after market cards as i would like my son to have it one day.
A very musical sounding classic Naim set up.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:
On 12/05/2019 at 7:35 PM, ols45 said:
Not mine but a close mate's setup that I get to play with when I visit Sydney.

Now that is a Naim fan! What speakers is that lot powering?

Linn Isobarikthat look like this

IMG_0731.JPG.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/05/2019 at 5:26 AM, s7e6e said:

Good day fellow inmates. Was wondering whether Naim has any followers here, especially in the Adelaide region.

Sistem Audio 9.jpg

Hi All this might be the right place then  just inherited this little gem going to set it up tonight wondering if anyone has some tips or can tell me a little more about it   nap 160 and nac 12v 

1557815448842324863839078053997.jpg

Edited by Paul k
  • Like 1

Hi All this might be the right place then  just inherited this little gem going to set it up tonight wondering if anyone has some tips or can tell me a little more about it   nap 160 and nac 12v 
1557815448842324863839078053997.thumb.jpg.6a824aff77f2a55a0e8eec94833d8610.jpg

Wow, the Naim Nac 12s preamp and Naim Nap 160 were the combination I started off with in the 1970s. They sounded excellent and only traded them in for 32.5/ 250 in the 1980s, because I needed better capacity to drive Linn Isobariks.

Many are still using them and have a following. Have you got the Interconnect leads for them?The 12s derives it’s power from the 160.
Flashback Sales have got all the Naim type leads you might need to connect to other equipment.

Perhaps you could let us know what source and speaker you intend to use and what queries you may have.

You could also have it checked and serviced to make sure it is operating optimally.

Enjoy

1557815448842324863839078053997.thumb.jpg.6a824aff77f2a55a0e8eec94833d8610.jpg
Hi Paul,
Nice score! You have been gifted a very nice set up! The Bolt down Nap160 was J.V.'s the founder of Naim's favourite amp and is regarded as the sweet spot of the Chrome Bumper vintage.
If my memory serves me well the Nac 12 has the same internal pin configuration as the other C.B. preamps and therefore there are lots of options to play with the sound it delivers.
The internal cards are a drop in replacement and takes minutes to change without the need to solder and all totally reversible in minutes. It's a modders dream!
Have a google of Neil Jadman, Ryan sound Labs and Avondale, put Pinkfishmedia in the title and you will have plenty of reading for the coming winter!
Personally the best sound i got from the 32.5 preamp and the same Nap160 as yours was to put a teddycap on the pre and then i installed the Avondale 821A cards with Neil Jadmans phono cards.
Jeez all this reminiscing of my old system makes me want to dig it out for a play.
Happy reading and let us know how you go.

• Like 2

On 14/05/2019 at 9:33 PM, vivianbl said:

Wow, the Naim Nac 12s preamp and Naim Nap 160 were the combination I started off with in the 1970s. They sounded excellent and only traded them in for 32.5/ 250 in the 1980s, because I needed better capacity to drive Linn Isobariks.

Many are still using them and have a following. Have you got the Interconnect leads for them?The 12s derives it’s power from the 160.
Flashback Sales have got all the Naim type leads you might need to connect to other equipment.

Perhaps you could let us know what source and speaker you intend to use and what queries you may have.

You could also have it checked and serviced to make sure it is operating optimally.

Enjoy

Hi Vivianbl. 

Thank you for the advice. 

I think I will try to run my BW DM570 of it but it might struggle in that case I will try them with Dali 6006. 

as for sources, I have B&O Beogram 1100 that I would like to connect up to it once I find the right cable as the one that came with it seems to be missing a grounding point.  also, thinking of getting a second preamp and run that into the NAC12 tuner setting that way I can connect some more up to date equipment to the old girl. 

• Like 1

Not really being used anymore Here’s my naim system 

nac52/supercap

4 x nap135

1 x nap250

naxo 3/6 hi-cap p/supply

naim NBL speakers (active)

CDS 2/XPS p/supply -not shown-in use on my main systemD0AB3C08-B582-42A7-BACC-7580E0C7F5D4.thumb.jpeg.afbf3f99f96c2a60a44caa81e9eabc8d.jpeg

Edited by SimonS
Incomplete post
  • Like 4

Not really being used anymore Here’s my naim system 
nac52/supercap
4 x nap135
1 x nap250
naxo 3/6 hi-cap p/supply
naim NBL speakers (active)
CDS 2/XPS p/supply -not shown-in use on my main systemD0AB3C08-B582-42A7-BACC-7580E0C7F5D4.thumb.jpeg.afbf3f99f96c2a60a44caa81e9eabc8d.jpeg

Great active Naim System!

Wondering what the main reason for not using that Naim system and what your main system components are?

Regards

17 minutes ago, vivianbl said:

Great active Naim System!

Wondering what the main reason for not using that Naim system and what your main system components are?

Regards

I now run JBL Everest clones,active

although I am still a flat earther,and my naim system is still to me amazing,my Everest based system is a little bit more amazing 

i have kept hold of my naim in case I changed my mind,but now I am on the verge of selling it-I May we’ll regret it !!!

• Like 1

On 16/05/2019 at 12:18 PM, SimonS said:

I now run JBL Everest clones,active

although I am still a flat earther,and my naim system is still to me amazing,my Everest based system is a little bit more amazing 

i have kept hold of my naim in case I changed my mind,but now I am on the verge of selling it-I May we’ll regret it !!!

Hi, you mentioned about selling. would you sell as a whole? I'm interested to get more of supercap and nap 250. cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

XS2.

Is the genuine DIN-DIN cable worth it for connecting one of their CD players ?

I've read all about why the connection is superior to RCA's but any practical, audible experiences ?

Anyone had it and moved back to RCA ?

10 hours ago, MP0001 said:

XS2.

Is the genuine DIN-DIN cable worth it for connecting one of their CD players ?

I've read all about why the connection is superior to RCA's but any practical, audible experiences ?

Anyone had it and moved back to RCA ?

I have always run DIN-DIN cables between my Naim components. I have tried the RCA outputs from my CD5 XS into amplifiers from other manufacturers, but never into my Naim amplifiier.

• 2 weeks later...

I run a NAC92R + NAP90/3. They seem to work well with my Rogers JR149 speakers. I've tried a more powerful LK280 / Kairn combination as well as newer amps.... but the Naims just make the speakers sing.

JR149.JPG

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JohnRB said:

I've been building up this system for over 30 Years now, it's a mixture of Olive and Classic.

Cables could do with a b it of attention however.

Isoblu rack.jpg

I really enjoyed my old Olive 82 with a new hicap DR for many years before going integrated.