Sign in to follow this  
JoeZ13

Martin Logan Motion 15 Amp recommendation

8 hours ago, joz said:

Perhaps it has a HT Bypass?

it does :) 

30 minutes ago, joz said:

Great, if it has HT bypass the integrated would act as just a peer amp.

But then why have a another preamp?

My reasoning would be just use the integrated only?

he wants the processing ability for AV duties... and mfs power stage for AV all using the ht bypass and then the mf integrated for 2ch pre power no doubt :) 

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

he wants the processing ability for AV duties... and mfs power stage for AV all using the ht bypass and then the mf integrated for 2ch pre power no doubt :) 

Integrated is what I've been told I should go for so that it works just as you explained.

After some feedback I've decided power amp only is what I need.

Now (with your explanation) you're drawing me back to integrated just when I thought I should go for power amp 🤔

9 minutes ago, JoeZ13 said:

Integrated is what I've been told I should go for so that it works just as you explained.

Now (with your explanation) you're drawing me back to integrated just when I thought I should go for power amp 🤔

Go the power amp. That way you can go with my recommendation ;)

8 hours ago, JoeZ13 said:

integrated is what you have been told because it is what makes most sense in your situation. just going a power amp only solves part equation. unless someone has never come across a 2ch integrated with ht bypass and/or doesnt understand what that is or how it works on the amp in question, only then I can understand them only suggesting a power amp as solution. 

the 2ch integrated with ht bypass is a very common approach that most people go if want both worlds ie 2ch bliss with a 2ch pre and power upgrade in one and a power amp upgrade for ht. if you dont go that ways most others go the 2ch pre and power approach but that will just cost more with two boxes and extra set of cables and such. 

the marantz AVR I know and it will be a good processor, but number one thing its lacking is its power stage the other thing lacking in ALL these is 2ch capability in the pre stage and why something like a 2ch integrated with ht bypass comes in in giving you a 2ch pre amp stage upgrade for music and 2ch and power stage for that as well. plus a power stage upgrade for AV duties where also the AVR is lacking. the reason ht bypass on these is so popular is it effectively turns it into a power amp with the ht bypass bypassing the pre amp stage for AV. I've owned and run devices with HT bypass for going on 17 years now !  both integrated and 2ch pre power setups in both dedicated and combined 2ch / av systems have owned over those years..

I hope makes sense and I for one totally understand why you have been guided to a 2ch integrated with ht bypass as a solution. the 2ch integrated you have also been suggested is a very good one. I know personally the amp in question and going far back to two generations of it before hand. its kind of thing I would suggest you have been recommended because it leaves you a lot of latitude to upgrade down the track. it will leave a lot of flexibility in speaker choice as quite a grunty amp with good finesse and power reserves and something over the years and in incarnations have heard driving upto some $20k speakers that are quite demanding and without bother. 

9 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Go the power amp. That way you can go with my recommendation ;)

I have looked into the link you sent but cost comes in at $2000AUD. 

Not sure i can justify it for a DIY.

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

I hope makes sense and I for one totally understand why you have been guided to a 2ch integrated with ht bypass as a solution. the 2ch integrated you have also been suggested is a very good one. I know personally the amp in question and going far back to two generations of it before hand. its kind of thing I would suggest you have been recommended because it leaves you a lot of latitude to upgrade down the track. it will leave a lot of flexibility in speaker choice as quite a grunty amp with good finesse and power reserves and something over the years and in incarnations have heard driving upto some $20k speakers that are quite demanding and without bother. 

Thanks for your thorough explanation, it makes perfect sense.

Something i have just thought of is that If i went down this MF6si integrated path i would then need to also invest is a good streamer/DAC as most of what i listen to will be streaming. I have found myself very quickly moving from CD and into streaming spotify/tidal.

The Marantz NR1606 does have spotify streaming ability but if i use that, it would mean i'm eliminating the pre-amp of the MF6si and effectively using the NR1606 as the pre-amp.

Which to me would not make sense given using the pre-amp in the MF6si for music will be superior.

Unless there is a cost effective way of good streaming to the integrated so the marantz is not used for 2ch music listening?

Edited by JoeZ13

34 minutes ago, JoeZ13 said:

Thanks for your thorough explanation, it makes perfect sense.

Something i have just thought of is that If i went down this MF6si integrated path i would then need to also invest is a good streamer/DAC as most of what i listen to will be streaming. I have found myself very quickly moving from CD and into streaming spotify/tidal.

The Marantz NR1606 does have spotify streaming ability but if i use that, it would mean i'm eliminating the pre-amp of the MF6si and effectively using the NR1606 as the pre-amp.

Which to me would not make sense given using the pre-amp in the MF6si for music will be superior.

Unless there is a cost effective way of good streaming to the integrated so the marantz is not used for 2ch music listening?

there are a few ways to go about this. most of us add a streamer / dac. something like the blue sound node. and the dac inbuilt in it itself is very good. you dont have use its inbuilt dac either there are quite affordable and good quality days around can also add. 

really its worth moving away from the marantz AVR for 2ch and also as source its pre stage is its strangler and as a base model in the marantz range the dacs and power supplies etc are pretty basic. you can as time permits add and come together with a really nice 2ch music setup especially if streaming and 2ch music is what keen on then streaming via the integrated is very much way to go.

another affordable good streaming option ? keep in mind the 2ch integrated also has a usb input so if want and have a source with usb output / computer you can also plug that directly into the 2ch integrated if want to go that ways :)

if looking for a streamer dac there are plenty of options 2nd hand check the classifieds something like blue-sound and also affordable dacs seem to come up on a daily basis :) 

joe if looking streamers this is kind thing can get

I use one myself. keep in mind fidelity wise can do better than spotify.

or alternatively as mentioned if have a pc/laptop just plug that into the integrated via usb cable

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

joe if looking streamers this is kind thing can get

I use one myself. keep in mind fidelity wise can do better than spotify.

or alternatively as mentioned if have a pc/laptop just plug that into the integrated via usb cable

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 

I'm well aware that Spotify isn't the best.

Tidal is what I would be looking at when I make the change.

Laptops are something I'm not short of. I have a MacBook Pro sitting here doing absolutely nothing. Quality wise, would I be better off with a Bluesound or laptop? 

2 minutes ago, JoeZ13 said:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 

I'm well aware that Spotify isn't the best.

Tidal is what I would be looking at when I make the change.

no worries.... yeah the approach of streamer or laptop will give much more options than stuck with whats in the marantz. I say this as a denon & marantz owner for last 15 years wiht various AVR/av processors have owned in that time and still do. dedicated streamers are just so much better ! 

3 minutes ago, JoeZ13 said:

Laptops are something I'm not short of. I have a MacBook Pro sitting here doing absolutely nothing. Quality wise, would I be better off with a Bluesound or laptop? 

its upto you really what looking for in user interface... some like the laptop approach... whats on there is accessible... there is some IT aspect ie drivers and such and as long as up wiht those kind of things. which if you have a few around likely upto speed with.

for others want nothing/little to do wiht computer or involving in their music if they can....in that case streamer like blue sound will minimise that.... in that for day to day listening no laptop/computer really needed.... if want. ie can plug in a usb source or stream off the net tidal and such :) on other hand you can also use the blue sound to stream off your pc if want. and using a nice user interface in an iPad or some such. blue sound obviously costs money... pc / laptop you might have already. 

some thoughts laptop or computer may be electronically more noisy... thats likely more down to particular approach gear in question id suggest. 

gear like the integrated you are thinking or something like the blue sound you can just buy 2nd hand and turn over if turns out not your thing and loose next to nothing in the process so dont have to feel getting to wedded or locking yourself in with this stuff :)

Just my 2 cents as I’ve tried laptop, node 2, and Aries femto. 

As previous pointed out a laptop is noisy and I found the laptop running tidal the least pure. If laptop is the way you want to go I suggest a USB filter, and the ifi one works well for not a lot of money. The node 2 is a dedicated streamer so it sounds cleaner and more realistic than a laptop. The Aries is probably 50% clearer and more realistic but at least 3x the price. 

Hope me this helps. 

I used a Powernode 2 with Martin Logan Motion 15’s and it performed very well [emoji106]

Update..

I decided to go down the power amp route as I came across a NAD C275BEE at a good price from a fellow member.

Have only just connected this to pre-out on my nr1606 and so far so good. Still some adjustments with levels to make though as i think audyssey has limited the front output levels.

Question.... I'm thinking about connecting a Bluesound Node 2 for tidal streaming.

What's the best way to connect this? L+R out (in Bluesound) -> L+R audio input (in Marantz nr1606) and then run it "Pure Direct" so the AVR doesn't interfere with processing before sending to power amp?

If I need to start a new thread in another forum, please let me know.

On 13/05/2019 at 5:51 PM, tommy100 said:

Just my 2 cents as I’ve tried laptop, node 2, and Aries femto. 

As previous pointed out a laptop is noisy and I found the laptop running tidal the least pure. If laptop is the way you want to go I suggest a USB filter, and the ifi one works well for not a lot of money. The node 2 is a dedicated streamer so it sounds cleaner and more realistic than a laptop. The Aries is probably 50% clearer and more realistic but at least 3x the price. 

Hope me this helps. 

Thanks for the info.

I'm considering the Bluesound path as for the moment/money it seems the best option.