14 hours ago, ForestForest said:

Well my phono stage just arrived and wow, The sound is amazing! Got a Rega Fono MM mk3.

Tremendous news....although not really news for those of us blessed with an amp handmade by Mr Weston.  After about a year or so you may become accustomed to it.

Hey, on this warm up thing, I stand corrected.  I mentioned I have a modest Graham Slee phono stage.  I didn't check your model, but I have 100% respect for Rega.  (I am channeling our maybe next PM).

Mr Slee recommends to just leave it on.  Is a tiny bit of DC current.

When switching it back on from your holiday......72 hours!!  Then its good to listen to.

The link for those who want to read more - 

https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/about/always-on.html

Clearly this is not relevant to Class A valve amps which kinda need to be watched a bit, however defined.  I am beginning to like the idea of that little switch.

Edited by Lloyd

Warming tube amps up can be painful if you only have s short window of time for listening, but some are less dependant on it that others. I found the Weston Time Machine I used to own took hardly any time to sound near its best. The Mysteres take about fortyfive minutes plus and even the PrimaLuna Dialogue HP takes at least 20 minutes.

Still given how much I enjoy the sonics that we  can get from tube amps when the tube selection is right I’m happy to wait each time I turn them on. I do miss the Western though and not because it warmed up quickly, it was a great little amp and the best .7watts of music amplification I have owned.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

I found when I had an ARC Classic 60 that it would take 20 minutes to sound decent but he sound kept improving for at least a couple of hours. With my current incarnation of ARC amp though, it sounds pretty close to optimal within 20 minutes. I have no idea why the older one just kept improving the longer I left it on.

The Mysteres are like that, I was being conservative when I said 45minutes, they keep getting better over a couple of hours.