17 hours ago, Lloyd said:

And what's that little switch in front of the rectifier?

Possibly the power switch.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Possibly the power switch.

I was thinking it might be to flick between triode or ultralinear, or something like that - no mention of that feature in the ad, so like you I am guessing. 

The power switch is usually (??) hidden at the back where ya plug in the 280 or so watts of quality juice.  I hope it is juicier in WA than here in Vic.  In recent times Ms Trinity has had to endure some snap blackouts, and then the power comes on again +/- 10 seconds later.  I'm not sure that can be good for her higher brain functions.

Incidentally, there was a very brief discussion on triode vs ultra-linear here, nearly a decade ago.  Thank SNA that these things are archived and not lost.  I digress.

Edited by Lloyd

If you are looking for a very good bang for buck phono stage with lots of adjustability then you could do a lot worse than the one advertised below. 

cheers Terry

23 hours ago, Lloyd said:

I was thinking it might be to flick between triode or ultralinear, or something like that - no mention of that feature in the ad, so like you I am guessing. 

The power switch is usually (??) hidden at the back where ya plug in the 280 or so watts of quality juice.  I hope it is juicier in WA than here in Vic.  In recent times Ms Trinity has had to endure some snap blackouts, and then the power comes on again +/- 10 seconds later.  I'm not sure that can be good for her higher brain functions.

Incidentally, there was a very brief discussion on triode vs ultra-linear here, nearly a decade ago.  Thank SNA that these things are archived and not lost.  I digress.

Yeah, I'm guessing as well.

Being near the power rectification area I thought power switch, as I would expect it elsewhere if it was switching between UL an Triode, as the switching for UL/triode is switching between a a situation of resistor from screen and anode to the UL tap that is to the screen from the OPT. But anything is possible as far as location or the switch is concerned.

They have some high voltages in WA I hear. In this suburb in Brisbane it is 250 constant with no fluctuation.

One thing that does bug me with most amps that are switchable between Ultra Linear and Triode modes, is that they only switch the UL line from the OPT to the resistor in place between the screen and anode, they still have the GNF  connection active where in a Triode strapped situation the GNF is not required and Triode mode sounds better with the GNF removed completely.

15 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

One thing that does bug me with most amps that are switchable between Ultra Linear and Triode modes, is that they only switch the UL line from the OPT to the resistor in place between the screen and anode, they still have the GNF  connection active where in a Triode strapped situation the GNF is not required and Triode mode sounds better with the GNF removed completely.

There is no rule for the Triode strapped Tube NOT to have GNF.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Ihearmusic said:

There is no rule for the Triode strapped Tube NOT to have GNF.

Well you can listen to the gritty sounding version with the GNF still active, It's not needed with triode strapped, local feed back around the tube is all that is needed.

Edit: why include something that makes it sound worse in that mode? just preferable to remove GNF if you want a purer Triode like sound.

If you build a purely Triode strapped amp you don't include GNF for good reasons.

Edited by Muon N'

On 15/05/2019 at 7:39 AM, ForestForest said:

Power switch gents.

Main power switch on the back.

So a switch for the B+ (stand by)?

8 hours ago, Muon N' said:

So a switch for the B+ (stand by)?

I'd like to send you a prize in the mail, but like you I still quite don't understand.  

Edit  - "They have some high voltages in WA I hear."  I think that Bon found his final resting place in Freemantle.  Explains everything, ya know?

Edited by Lloyd