Sign in to follow this  
ForestForest

Tube amp suggestions

So, Im looking for suggestions on a good tube amp. Pairing with Klipsch RP6000f floor standing speakers and turntable (only listening to vinyl). Budget of around $2000, second hand will obviously get an older but better unit so am keen for that. Music is rock mostly if that makes a difference. 

Suggest away 😀

Thanks

Forgot to mention, ideally an integrated amp with phono stage would be preferable.

Edited by ForestForest

@fffastfaz had this for sale and he is in Perth.

Good guy to deal with and the amp is in top nick.... May work for you..

Good luck..:thumb:

5 hours ago, ForestForest said:

Music is rock mostly if that makes a difference. 

It does make a difference - do not buy a tube amp and especially not an integrated version. 

2 hours ago, Decky said:

It does make a difference - do not buy a tube amp and especially not an integrated version. 

They're 97dB efficient speakers and 8ohm. He could well get by with a tube amp, but a tube amp that is integrated and has a phono section as well is going to be hard to get under 2k. @ForestForest do you have your own phono section for your turntable or do you need an integrated with a phono section incorporated. If you do, do you need one for MM or MC cartridge, or both?

If you don't need a phono section, and just want a tube integrated amp, nothing beats the elekit for price / performance ratio in my opinion. ($1594 USD in minimum configuration):

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Japanese-Elekit-TU-8340VK-Integrated-Tube-Amplifier-Kit-or-Assembled.html

That also gives you the option to upgrade to better valves in the future should your budget stretch to using the KT150 valves.

If you want something that is the bare minimum I would recommend for an integrated tube amplifier, leaving you with budget to buy a separate phono section, the Yaqin amps are your best bet, though you'll have to buy decent valves for them instead of the cheap Chinese garbage they come with by default to perform well. The reason I recommend this one and not one of their other offerings is it uses valve types that are known good performers (EL34, 12AX7, 12AU7) and in some very fine amps. (~$1000)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/YAQIN-MC-10T-Integrated-vacuum-tube-amplifier-SRPP-circuit-EL34-4-UL-Class-AB1-Power-amplifier/1070003_32809334348.html

Make sure to specify it is for 240V!

I don't know much about phono stages so I can't help you there.

Edited by Ittaku

Check out Triode Lab. Frank is a pleasure to deal with and there's tons of choice between their three product ranges (Triode Lab, Finale Audio and Pentode 6).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, lots of ideas. I think an integrated amp and a seperate phone stage will have to be the go. 

What are people’s thoughts on something like the Vincent SV237Mk ? I know it’s a hybrid but gets rave reviews!

6 minutes ago, ForestForest said:

What are people’s thoughts on something like the Vincent SV237Mk ? I know it’s a hybrid but gets rave reviews!

I don't like the sound of any of the Vincent gear that I've auditioned; they appear to be more bling than audio to me. Other people rave about them though, so don't take my word for it, audition them for yourself.

Edited by Ittaku

I would look at the Consonance amps that Osborn Loudspeakers sell.  A very well established Chinese brand. 

You definitely want a push-pull amp.  30-40W of well designed EL34 or 6550/KT88 grunt on the RIGHT SPEAKERS will rock your socks off.  Your Klipsch's should be ideal.

If your speakers are 97 db 8 Ohm then 18 watts of SET will be more than enough.

I have 8 watts of SET and with my efficient speakers have all the loudness levels i need (albeit not my thing).

Try before you buy is my advise, loudness and volume level is one thing - quality of sound is another altogether......

Try both push pull as suggested and SET and see what sound you like best.......best of luck

On 10/05/2019 at 7:55 AM, ForestForest said:

Vincent SV237Mk

Had the 236 and it has lots of power, you get a a lot of build for the money but sound was quite bland, though better than many midfi standard amps from the mainstream brands.

Geez, I wouldn't look at anything but this for that budget if you can wait.

Guest DarkNark
22 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Geez, I wouldn't look at anything but this for that budget if you can wait.

Topaz for sale now, Perth. It must be a sign  :)

5 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

Topaz for sale now, Perth. It must be a sign  :)

On 10/05/2019 at 9:55 AM, ForestForest said:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, lots of ideas. I think an integrated amp and a seperate phone stage will have to be the go. 

As suggested it is best to Audition an Amp. preferably with Your Speakers. What may work well with another Speaker may not work as well with yours.

A good hybrid could work well, giving you that little bit of "Punch" required for Rock.

While I havn't heard the SV-237, what I can say is that most of the Vincent Equipment that I own or have heard punches well above it's price point. In fact some of their Top End Equipment has seen off some much more Expensive, highly regarded Equipment.

Once again I suggest an Audition with your Speakers.

Thanks guys, I bought the Weston topaz el34.

need to buy a phono stage now!

7 minutes ago, ForestForest said:

Earle makes Good Amps. Hope it matches well.👍

On 12/05/2019 at 7:03 PM, ForestForest said:

Excellent choice, @ForestForest 

Mine is a Trinity EL34 which predates Topaz.  Slightly different with subsequent developments - Trinity is triode rather than ultralinear, and zero negative feedback.  Rated at 25 watts rather than 35.  Topaz has the Pi output transformers.  And what's that little switch in front of the rectifier?

My MM phono is a little box from the stable of Graham Slee, one of the less expensive models in the range. 

Edited by Lloyd

Guest Muon N'
17 hours ago, Lloyd said:

And what's that little switch in front of the rectifier?

Possibly the power switch.

4 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Possibly the power switch.

I was thinking it might be to flick between triode or ultralinear, or something like that - no mention of that feature in the ad, so like you I am guessing. 

The power switch is usually (??) hidden at the back where ya plug in the 280 or so watts of quality juice.  I hope it is juicier in WA than here in Vic.  In recent times Ms Trinity has had to endure some snap blackouts, and then the power comes on again +/- 10 seconds later.  I'm not sure that can be good for her higher brain functions.

Incidentally, there was a very brief discussion on triode vs ultra-linear here, nearly a decade ago.  Thank SNA that these things are archived and not lost.  I digress.

Edited by Lloyd

If you are looking for a very good bang for buck phono stage with lots of adjustability then you could do a lot worse than the one advertised below. 

cheers Terry

Guest Muon N'
23 hours ago, Lloyd said:

I was thinking it might be to flick between triode or ultralinear, or something like that - no mention of that feature in the ad, so like you I am guessing. 

The power switch is usually (??) hidden at the back where ya plug in the 280 or so watts of quality juice.  I hope it is juicier in WA than here in Vic.  In recent times Ms Trinity has had to endure some snap blackouts, and then the power comes on again +/- 10 seconds later.  I'm not sure that can be good for her higher brain functions.

Incidentally, there was a very brief discussion on triode vs ultra-linear here, nearly a decade ago.  Thank SNA that these things are archived and not lost.  I digress.

Yeah, I'm guessing as well.

Being near the power rectification area I thought power switch, as I would expect it elsewhere if it was switching between UL an Triode, as the switching for UL/triode is switching between a a situation of resistor from screen and anode to the UL tap that is to the screen from the OPT. But anything is possible as far as location or the switch is concerned.

They have some high voltages in WA I hear. In this suburb in Brisbane it is 250 constant with no fluctuation.

Guest Muon N'

One thing that does bug me with most amps that are switchable between Ultra Linear and Triode modes, is that they only switch the UL line from the OPT to the resistor in place between the screen and anode, they still have the GNF  connection active where in a Triode strapped situation the GNF is not required and Triode mode sounds better with the GNF removed completely.