Posted (edited)

So, Im looking for suggestions on a good tube amp. Pairing with Klipsch RP6000f floor standing speakers and turntable (only listening to vinyl). Budget of around $2000, second hand will obviously get an older but better unit so am keen for that. Music is rock mostly if that makes a difference. 

Suggest away 😀

Thanks

Forgot to mention, ideally an integrated amp with phono stage would be preferable.

Edited by ForestForest

@fffastfaz had this for sale and he is in Perth.

Good guy to deal with and the amp is in top nick.... May work for you..

Good luck..:thumb:

5 hours ago, ForestForest said:

Music is rock mostly if that makes a difference. 

It does make a difference - do not buy a tube amp and especially not an integrated version. 

2 hours ago, Decky said:

It does make a difference - do not buy a tube amp and especially not an integrated version. 

They're 97dB efficient speakers and 8ohm. He could well get by with a tube amp, but a tube amp that is integrated and has a phono section as well is going to be hard to get under 2k. @ForestForest do you have your own phono section for your turntable or do you need an integrated with a phono section incorporated. If you do, do you need one for MM or MC cartridge, or both?

Posted (edited)

If you don't need a phono section, and just want a tube integrated amp, nothing beats the elekit for price / performance ratio in my opinion. ($1594 USD in minimum configuration):

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Japanese-Elekit-TU-8340VK-Integrated-Tube-Amplifier-Kit-or-Assembled.html

That also gives you the option to upgrade to better valves in the future should your budget stretch to using the KT150 valves.

If you want something that is the bare minimum I would recommend for an integrated tube amplifier, leaving you with budget to buy a separate phono section, the Yaqin amps are your best bet, though you'll have to buy decent valves for them instead of the cheap Chinese garbage they come with by default to perform well. The reason I recommend this one and not one of their other offerings is it uses valve types that are known good performers (EL34, 12AX7, 12AU7) and in some very fine amps. (~$1000)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/YAQIN-MC-10T-Integrated-vacuum-tube-amplifier-SRPP-circuit-EL34-4-UL-Class-AB1-Power-amplifier/1070003_32809334348.html

Make sure to specify it is for 240V!

I don't know much about phono stages so I can't help you there.

Edited by Ittaku

Check out Triode Lab. Frank is a pleasure to deal with and there's tons of choice between their three product ranges (Triode Lab, Finale Audio and Pentode 6).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, lots of ideas. I think an integrated amp and a seperate phone stage will have to be the go. 

What are people’s thoughts on something like the Vincent SV237Mk ? I know it’s a hybrid but gets rave reviews!

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ForestForest said:

What are people’s thoughts on something like the Vincent SV237Mk ? I know it’s a hybrid but gets rave reviews!

I don't like the sound of any of the Vincent gear that I've auditioned; they appear to be more bling than audio to me. Other people rave about them though, so don't take my word for it, audition them for yourself.

Edited by Ittaku

I would look at the Consonance amps that Osborn Loudspeakers sell.  A very well established Chinese brand. 

You definitely want a push-pull amp.  30-40W of well designed EL34 or 6550/KT88 grunt on the RIGHT SPEAKERS will rock your socks off.  Your Klipsch's should be ideal.