Sign in to follow this  
Gieseler Audio

GIESELER AK4499 DAC

Posted (edited)

Just a quick update on how I am progressing with this.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I have sample chips, evaluation manual & a data sheet but it is going to take a while as it is a very complex chip compared to previous versions. The evaluation board will be a big help but still no ETA on this yet. I will first build a basic prototype for testing & development & then go on to a production version. I think the ETA on a production model will be at least three months away. It will be very different from the Fein/Gross series & have a new name. Cost wise it will also be a big jump & probably several times the cost (of Gross/Fein) however it will certainly have more features & options. Sound wise it is hard to predict & being current out I will no longer be able to use the simple Jensen transformer output design. This is a bit disappointing as I loved the sound of that & the simple design. The good part is the word on the street is that the AK4499 will probably be the new benchmark in SOTA DAC chips & with performance to match. Fingers crossed! I will update this topic when I actually have a working prototype.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Posted (edited)

This is AKM’s prototype.

They have configured the DAC chip for two channel output & I will do the same.

The chip has four channels, two seperate stereo DAC’s so with the correct registry settings

you can configure each DAC as a single output - one for left & one for right.

What this achieves is a higher dynamic range which ends up at 137dB in stereo mode which is staggering good.

Distortion is vanishing low - Quote from AKM’s website.

The World’s Highest in Class Characteristics Achieved by Current Output Architecture

THD+N: -124dB can be achieved from the Low Distortion Technology optimized for Current Output architecture.

It is good to see they have gone overboard in the PSU area - seven discrete ultra low noise supplies.

I will be doing the same however I don’t think my prototype will be quite as elaborate as AKM’s

DA039CFB-BB08-4D20-AA78-49CF290DFD3A.jpeg.40fbaf399da52b54ad404fa4b73ddd6d.jpeg

Edited by Gieseler Audio
Grammar

This is AKM’s prototype.
They have configured the DAC chip for two channel output & I will do the same.
The chip has four channels, two seperate stereo DAC’s so with the correct registry settings
you can configure each DAC as a single output - one for left & one for right.
What this achieves is a higher dynamic range which ends up at 137dB in stereo mode which is staggering good.
Distortion is vanishing low - Quote from AKM’s website.
The World’s Highest in Class Characteristics Achieved by Current Output Architecture

THD+N: -124dB can be achieved from the Low Distortion Technology optimized for Current Output architecture.

It is good to see they have gone overboard in the PSU area - seven discrete ultra low noise supplies.

I will be doing the same however I don’t think my prototype will be quite as elaborate as AKM’s

DA039CFB-BB08-4D20-AA78-49CF290DFD3A.jpeg.40fbaf399da52b54ad404fa4b73ddd6d.jpeg

If you need someone to test it, put me on the list!

Maybe I should put my hand up for product testing if there's room for more. Though I'm not as geographically as close as Benjet.

Just coming back from High End Munich.

AKM had a booth and performed listening demos for manufacturers by appointment of the 4497 vs 4499.

Though consumer without financial interests they did a comparison for me and my wife.

First three pieces with 4497, then the same with the 4499.

The 4499 is a clear step above the 4497.

More musicality, better musical understanding, better musical performers.

But Clay is right, it is a pity that he can not use the output transformers with the 4499.

Matt

Thanks for info Matt. Did you happen to get any photos?

Also did the AK4499 demo unit look the same as the photo of the one I posted.

21 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Thanks for info Matt. Did you happen to get any photos?

Also did the AK4499 demo unit look the same as the photo of the one I posted.

I would say it is the same.

I did not make any photos, I was happy that they did the comparison.

They had two boxes in the same size, one with the 4497 the other with the 4499, they simply swapped the boxes.

Both boxes were switched off before listening, not perfect!

There is somewhere on the internet a story about AKM and the 4499 where both boxes can be seen.

Matt

Posted (edited)

I finally found a new product that will be using the AK4499.

https://us.astellnkern.com/products/a-ultima-sp2000?variant=20969031303227

& a sample DSD 512 compilation to test it.

https://nativedsdpresents.nativedsd.com/albums/NDSD013-nativedsd-presents-5-tracks-in-dsd-512

That native DSD512 sampler would be perfect to check out the Fein II’s performance.

The Fein II will play native DSD512 on Windows systems & also on Linux but with the latter you

will need 2003be_71A firmware in the Amanero.

Edited by Gieseler Audio