• 2 weeks later...

I came to the conclusion that the disc transport is the most expensive part of a CD player because they wear out so very quickly.   Rather than purchase an OPPO 105 several years ago, I just bought a cheap digital only Sony BDP  and an essence HDACC.  My thought was that the HDACC would outlast several transports and could play any digital source I trow at it with consistently good results. My system is built around an analogue amp and passive speakers and the HDACC ties it all together very simply.  I hahe the HDACC in one of the AMPs dubbing loops so it can provide remote volume control fro all sources including analogue.  This is an essential family requirement and ensure that I get to enjoy the system at all times.  If it were not for this, I would have to put up with TV sound most of the time and my listening enjoyment would be confined to times when the house was otherwise empty.

Bottom line is that while CDs give great noise floor and dynamic range compared to vinyl, the sample rate is just too low to give great fidelity.  If you really want to hear faithful sound reproduction, you need to a HRA sample rate.  But then you also need gear that is capable of revealing the difference.  So CD is great is some ways and certainly convenient but it;s not ideal, Its a product at a price and one that I am mostly pretty happy with.

No, you don't need  CD player as such.  Most players do not re-read errors, they simply interpolate around the missreads.  If you want to do better, the answer it accurate ripping into lossless files.  This is more accurate than streaming as you have control of the signal processing path and therefore audio quality.   You cam play the ripped files on most smart media devices including BDP, DAPs etc  and use the same high quality DAC for all bit streams.  Personally, I'd just get a BDP for all dics types and forget about a CD player.  Basically, I have done so, though I still have my favorite AMC CD8a.

Ken

• Like 1

Guest Music monster
30 minutes ago, kenwstr said:

I came to the conclusion that the disc transport is the most expensive part of a CD player because they wear out so very quickly.   Rather than purchase an OPPO 105 several years ago, I just bought a cheap digital only Sony BDP  and an essence HDACC.  My thought was that the HDACC would outlast several transports and could play any digital source I trow at it with consistently good results. My system is built around an analogue amp and passive speakers and the HDACC ties it all together very simply.  I hahe the HDACC in one of the AMPs dubbing loops so it can provide remote volume control fro all sources including analogue.  This is an essential family requirement and ensure that I get to enjoy the system at all times.  If it were not for this, I would have to put up with TV sound most of the time and my listening enjoyment would be confined to times when the house was otherwise empty.

Bottom line is that while CDs give great noise floor and dynamic range compared to vinyl, the sample rate is just too low to give great fidelity.  If you really want to hear faithful sound reproduction, you need to a HRA sample rate.  But then you also need gear that is capable of revealing the difference.  So CD is great is some ways and certainly convenient but it;s not ideal, Its a product at a price and one that I am mostly pretty happy with.

No, you don't need  CD player as such.  Most players do not re-read errors, they simply interpolate around the missreads.  If you want to do better, the answer it accurate ripping into lossless files.  This is more accurate than streaming as you have control of the signal processing path and therefore audio quality.   You cam play the ripped files on most smart media devices including BDP, DAPs etc  and use the same high quality DAC for all bit streams.  Personally, I'd just get a BDP for all dics types and forget about a CD player.  Basically, I have done so, though I still have my favorite AMC CD8a.

Ken

What about sacd?. I find the sound amazing. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
29 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Dead format - no software

That’s a pity. Lucky I bought a few hundred of them when I had the chance. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Actually there’s still hundreds of sacds available brand new on various websites. Also audiophile reference recordings stocks a few as well.sacd is to good a format to die completely, it still exists for us serious audiophiles. Gary the music monster ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/05/2019 at 7:37 PM, buddyev said:

New vinyl is ridiculously expensive, and hi res downloads aren’t much different. CDs are a great deal, even bought new - and everything is available on CD. I buy CDs, though I often stream and upsample the ripped  files. But yes, a decent cdp is essential in my system.

Agreed!  THe vinyl fad is getting so expensive, and record companies are noticing this trend and are producing more essentially digital copies transferred onto records., exception being those audiophile transfers from original master tapes, which cost a bomb!  I get that tactile feeling of wanting to spin a record, sit down and listen, and swap over when the side is over, those moments are far and few these days for me though.  So my essentials these days include a simple disc spinner.

• Like 4

On 16/08/2019 at 8:40 AM, shogo33 said:

CDs are a great deal, even bought new - and everything is available on CD.

Oh CDs, I absolutely love mine and have since the early 90s and I keep buying new and old. What a joy.

I am pretty new here but have read this whole topic from start and I am very glad I can share my love for CDs with so many people here.

I listen to vinyl as well on my awesome Rega RP6, but since I grew up in the 90s, CDs have always had a very special meaning for me.

It was on CD that I first got into Pixies or Bjork and so many many artists through the years. I absolutely appreciate and enjoy my vinyl, but at home me and my partner do play CDs more than any other format. Oh and I have never got into streaming or downloading, I still don't understand it or have the knowledge to do it. Streaming is nit my format, too ethereal for me. To my ears it just doesn't sound the same, and if I have to go and get a DAC and do all the streaming etc, I just can't be bothered.

I have been using a Rotel RCD 965BX which I found on the kerb one day about three years ago. It looked in very good condition, so I took it home and opened it up and I just couldn't believe my luck. The machine has been barely used, mint. No scratches, no nothing, just not used.

659200115_Rotel965BX.thumb.JPG.12104c851a4e3fecdd10e30f0e6e188a.JPG

And about two years earlier I found a sale of an estate, in which I purchased a Luxman tape deck and on the day I also had the luck to find a Rotel RCD 865BX, the Limited Edition. I was told the owner had purchased the hi fi set at Encel Stereo in the early 90s and he died a couple of months later so all of this had been in storage until about 5 years ago when they put it on sale. This CD player came with manual and remote and not once scratch. These two units have not missed one bit since then. A very lucky find.

But due to my love for CDs and as many people have already mentioned here, CDs are just the bargain that most people out there just cannot see. Recently I went with my 11 year old daughter to a vinyl fair in Thornbury. And yes, the vinyl revival has become the vinyl reap off. So many records which just 8-10 years ago would have been just $5, now are selling for $20-$30 etc, and new vinyl? $40, $70, even $100.

So we decided to check out the CDs and found some absolute bargains for about $4, they looked new to me and my daughter bought her first CD, The seller ended up giving us 2 CDs for $4. My daughter was very happy to say the least. She came home and played the whole thing while singing along with the lyrics in the booklet. So much joy for so little money. And with a good system the Compact Disc can really sound good, really good.

So I decided to continue to invest in the technology because there hasn't been a better time in my opinion for the Compact Disc. Very affordable, physical high quality format. So I got myself a new Rega Apollo R. I didn't think that there would be much difference with the Rotel players but I have been absolutely amazed with what I can hear now. 

That chip, the Global Silicon chip and the Wolfson DACs inside the Rega Players really make magic!

It has been a well deserved upgrade. 

What a joy! Thank you Sony and Philips! ha ha ha

ApolloR.thumb.jpeg.50661cdc291d8780a63ed73e89169076.jpeg

• Like 4

I now stream tidal through my Cambridge CXN and have all music ripped to HDD, but don't think I'll ever let my Micromega Duo Pro Cd spinner go. It is an enjoyable piece of kit to use.

I still like pulling corks out of wine bottles too, and making my own coffee. Maybe I am just old fashioned.

It is great when you can go to OpShops and get a bundle of music for a $

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a CD player (the musical fidelity x-ray that Len Wallis Audio was advertising on SNA). 

Waiting for it to arrive. 

Time to get my CDs out of storage :) 

Congratulations. Long live the Compact Disc! 

Guest Music monster
1 hour ago, Andpi said:

Congratulations. Long live the Compact Disc! 

Agree I love compact discs. I can play them anywhere I want to not just in my music room. Gary  the music monster ?

3 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a CD player (the musical fidelity x-ray that Len Wallis Audio was advertising on SNA). 

Waiting for it to arrive. 

Time to get my CDs out of storage :) 

Nice pickup. I was going to pull the trigger on that one but thinking of getting a better streamer/dac now. Interested to hear your impressions on it. 

• Like 1