Porkbuns69

Router recommendations

@davewantsmoore  Thanks.  I downloaded and updated the router to the latest firmware that was released late last year (current version).  Will monitor the issue over the weekend if persists.  It was a pain to do the firmware update. The installation updated quickly and smoothly, but i couldnt get a connection after.  Had to do a factory reset on the router, rebooted it, and had to reboot my NBN modem after, then reboot the router next, and only then did internet connectivity got restored.

Here's the forum url on the issue discussed over at Whirlpool:  https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2691384

1 hour ago, Porkbuns69 said:

Here's the forum url on the issue discussed over at Whirlpool:  https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2691384

Jan 2018
Aussie BB are out of options according to tech support and suggested that I keep and eye on the Whirlpool thread. Not a great outcome but the support tech tried every option that he was aware of!

There's very little (to none) in the way of actual troubleshooting in that thread .... but my primary advice would have been to call the ISP and let them help.

If the ISP are at the point where they "consider it a known problem but don't know how to fix it" ... then the next option for the tech is to let you talk to someone who can sort out a refund (or other remedy).   Get a refund - if they can't get the router working as advertised.

Although it does look like people in that thread got working eventually with a new firmware, and a couple of settings (which your ISP should be able to help you figure out - or refund).

The ISP will resist - as if you have telephoned them (whih cyou probably have many times), then you are already losing them money....   replacing/refunding your modem will be more expense for them that they can't afford

...... but that's not your problem  :) 

@davewantsmoore Thanks for your time and effort with this.  I'll monitor this as of today and if the issue persists throughout the week, i'll get in touch with ABB for a refund.  

Nah - that's ok, I love a good mystery.     Seems like there was (it's more unusual than people would think) a need to get a recent firmware

... although at the end of the day - if the router doesn't work as advertised, then you get your money returned.    Sorry I can't be more help - other than to say that the ISP will resist, and you will likely need to speak to someone with more authority than just the tech support guy.

Get the tech support guy to go o record saying it's a "known problem, that they can't fix" .... that will help.

Posted (edited)

Work has upgraded us to the “latest Dell Latitude 7490”.   This wins 10 laptop has a wifi analyser already available on Wins 10.    

This is what I get in certain parts of the house for 2.4/5Ghz....  it’s picked up just under 30 networks  entering “trespassing”  this space.  Wifi has always been how strong the signal is, the next generation of wifi “AX” will resolve this issue but ATM no devices supports it.    It will be implemented in the Orbi devices latter in the year but you’re going to buy the next generation Orbi hardware and devices to support it.  I can bet the next strongest signal are from neighbours next door around me, that’s why at the other end of the house we were experiencing dropouts.   However the Billion modem I had for 4 years was showing speed inconsistency even standing at ground zero!  Not so when I installed the Orbi.  So that workhorse Billion was on its way out, they don’t last forever!

Please excuse the quality if the pics, it’s to show the Dell Latitude  with the analyser in action.  As I realised you can’t get this on any Apple device without paying for it.  Or you need to purchase hardware to get the apps loaded on IOS.  So this is a real bonus for me!  

082DB109-E78E-4CBC-88B9-3792017AA4DA.jpeg

BDFD09A7-8EC3-4678-93D3-8A53AC9A4BCB.jpeg

C21506EF-BDDB-4E45-ADFC-AA36DDEDD575.jpeg

BF100C04-CE63-407E-9DFA-CFBF2A86C99F.jpeg

66CFD1DD-2243-4E57-A53A-161B8351790F.jpeg

67558943-7F5E-4261-B441-F9FC3C6530BC.jpeg

84A5A4CA-13E4-42BB-A30A-51C480D3089D.jpeg

Edited by Addicted to music

17 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Nah - that's ok, I love a good mystery.     Seems like there was (it's more unusual than people would think) a need to get a recent firmware

... although at the end of the day - if the router doesn't work as advertised, then you get your money returned.    Sorry I can't be more help - other than to say that the ISP will resist, and you will likely need to speak to someone with more authority than just the tech support guy.

Get the tech support guy to go o record saying it's a "known problem, that they can't fix" .... that will help.

@davewantsmoore Cheers! :)  Update - so far so good, but still getting some intermittent disconnection and re connections,  think its time for this router to go..

3 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Work has upgraded us to the “latest Dell Latitude 7490”.   This wins 10 laptop has a wifi analyser already available on Wins 10.    

This is what I get in certain parts of the house for 5Ghz....  it’s picked up just under 30 networks  entering “trespassing”  this space.  Wifi has always been how strong the signal is, the next generation of wifi “AX” will resolve this issue but ATM no devices supports it.    It will be implemented in the Orbi devices latter in the year but you’re going to buy the next generation Orbi hardware and devices to support it.  I can bet the next strongest signal are from neighbours next door around me, that’s why at the other end of the house we were experiencing dropouts.   However the Billion modem I had for 4 years was showing speed inconsistency even standing at ground zero!  Not so when I installed the Orbi.  So that workhorse Billion was on its way out, they don’t last forever!

Please excuse the quality if the pics, it’s to show the Dell Latitude  with the analyser in action.  As I realised you can’t get this on any Apple device without paying for it.  Or you need to purchase hardware to get the apps loaded on IOS.  So this is a real bonus for me!  

BDFD09A7-8EC3-4678-93D3-8A53AC9A4BCB.jpeg

C21506EF-BDDB-4E45-ADFC-AA36DDEDD575.jpeg

BF100C04-CE63-407E-9DFA-CFBF2A86C99F.jpeg

66CFD1DD-2243-4E57-A53A-161B8351790F.jpeg

67558943-7F5E-4261-B441-F9FC3C6530BC.jpeg

@Addicted to music - Thanks a million.  I have a mate who is kind enough to bring his Asus 5300 spider router over tomorrow for me to test out.  If this doesnt work (i strongly suspect that it will as its just a beast) then a Mesh system it is then!

OK just a quick update to all.  A mate came over with his AC5300 on Sat. 

Plugged in the Asus AC5300 and re-configured the router for my ABB HFC connection.  This thing is just a wifi range monster!  Even outside the garden, driveway, garage etc, i'm still getting 4 bars over 5Ghz.  For the whole Saturday, i got 12 wifi devices to go crazy running video streaming, through a mix of youtube, netflix vids, the 5300 didnt sweat much at all..   No drop outs whatsoever around the house.

Sadly i had to return it on Sunday, and plugged back the Netcomm into the HFC modem, and just after 4 hours of use, i had another dsconnection and had to reset the router again.  I think its a no brainer that the Netcomm is the culprit and needs to be returned.

Im strongly thinking of getting the AC5300 over a mesh network as its will solve my problem without having to deal with multiple units etc..  

3 hours ago, Porkbuns69 said:

OK just a quick update to all.  A mate came over with his AC5300 on Sat. 

Plugged in the Asus AC5300 and re-configured the router for my ABB HFC connection.  This thing is just a wifi range monster!  Even outside the garden, driveway, garage etc, i'm still getting 4 bars over 5Ghz.  For the whole Saturday, i got 12 wifi devices to go crazy running video streaming, through a mix of youtube, netflix vids, the 5300 didnt sweat much at all..   No drop outs whatsoever around the house.

Sadly i had to return it on Sunday, and plugged back the Netcomm into the HFC modem, and just after 4 hours of use, i had another dsconnection and had to reset the router again.  I think its a no brainer that the Netcomm is the culprit and needs to be returned.

Im strongly thinking of getting the AC5300 over a mesh network as its will solve my problem without having to deal with multiple units etc..  

By any chance did you download Speedtest on your phone and run it at different points in the premises?  

Watch this test:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PvAFsyx5yKA

@Addicted to music  No unfortunately - doh! :(  But i could ask him to bring it over again and do the speedtest this weekend.   But i did do a simple stress test across all 12 devices was to stream a 1080p video down to those devices..  Heck, the Netcomm struggled to stream one 1080p video, where it kept buffering intermittently.

On 11/05/2019 at 10:09 AM, Addicted to music said:

Just to add to people's understanding on why wifi is crappy when there are neigbours!  The standard channels to use for 2.4kHz is channels 1, 7 and 11.  However, someone is using channel 9 (Point Cook) thinking that this is relatively free.  It is actually worse because it is getting inteference from both channels 7 AND 11. Also, it interferes with more users that it should. Suggest sticking to the standard  channels 1, 7 and 11 and find the least congested of these channels.

The only way to get strong wifi in the house is to ensure your signal is stronger than you neighbours.  Get a mesh network if you can, much better than a single access point, no matter how powerful.  Both Addicted and myself are using the Netgear Orbi and we both strongly recommend it.

I'm also with Aussie on HFC and was not happy with the performance of the Netcomm router. Took a chance on the Orbi RBK50 last week and could not be happier. Covers a 24sq house with no problems.

I was having quite a few dropouts on my Asus RT-AC68U. I was blaming Belong for my internet constantly dropping out / losing signal (sometimes half a dozen times a day). I updated the firmware to the latest Asus firmware multiple times but continued to have issues. Having a keen interest in IoT and home automation I finally decided I want to try do some presence detection with my mobile phone, so I started looking at other firmware for the router. I downloaded AsusWRT on the router and it has been super reliable ever since.