Router recommendations

Hi SNA'ers

Recently got NBN'd (HFC), happy with the speed/connection etc as one could be with Aussie Broadband.  The issue i have is that the Netcomm wifi router that came with the plan is pretty meh, as expected, but it was free with the plan (obviously not really)..  The wifi signal keeps dropping off intermittently and can be a PITA at the most inconvenient of times.

The NBN modem & Netcomm router are placed in the study room downstairs.  The tv, projector, fetch box etc are out in the living room area and would get a 4 bar signal at the least, but they lose connectivity from time to time.   Cant really say if this is a faulty router or not, but my old 2,4ghz Vividwireless modem/router located upstair didnt have any issues streaming content to these devices located downstairs.

My question is, what is a high performance router, around $400 or a bit more, that would be a good replacement for the Netcomm?  A workmate recommended an Asus RT5300, as this has 8 antennas so will address the range issue that i may have?

Edited by Porkbuns69

have you tried asking aussie broadband for a better modem ? chances are yours is either kerplunk or there are better one they can provide ? I think expectation they supply something appropriate and works ? shouldn't have to be unto you buying something else to do what they should have supplied in first place ? 

I know wiht our situations we had months of issues and then turned out they had actually supplied us the wrong modem :D a new one magically turned up (newer model) and that fixed the issue we were having :) 

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

have you tried asking aussie broadband for a better modem ? chances are yours is either kerplunk or there are better one they can provide ? I think expectation they supply something appropriate and works ? shouldn't have to be unto you buying something else to do what they should have supplied in first place ? 

I know wiht our situations we had months of issues and then turned out they had actually supplied us the wrong modem :D a new one magically turned up (newer model) and that fixed the issue we were having :) 

I will give them a call tonight and lets see what they say.

• Like 1

I use 1 of these centrally located downstairs in our double story. Can get wifi in the driveway and out into the backyard. I'm getting Aussie Broadband NBN set up on Saturday and got a discount for using my own existing modem, which is also an older netgear. We will see what speeds it is capable of soon enough, we have signed up for the 50mbs service.I have disabled the wifi on my modem to help make my Ethernet for computer audio as quiet as possible and run Ethernet to the wifi router.

My current ADSL is fine for everything under 4k streaming and the only drop outs I get are from technicians "fixing" the existing network. My neighbours across the road played tag for a week where every time we got our ADSL lines fixed theirs dropped out and vice versa. We didn't know till after the fact?

1 hour ago, blybo said:

I use 1 of these centrally located downstairs in our double story. Can get wifi in the driveway and out into the backyard. I'm getting Aussie Broadband NBN set up on Saturday and got a discount for using my own existing modem, which is also an older netgear. We will see what speeds it is capable of soon enough, we have signed up for the 50mbs service.I have disabled the wifi on my modem to help make my Ethernet for computer audio as quiet as possible and run Ethernet to the wifi router.

My current ADSL is fine for everything under 4k streaming and the only drop outs I get are from technicians "fixing" the existing network. My neighbours across the road played tag for a week where every time we got our ADSL lines fixed theirs dropped out and vice versa. We didn't know till after the fact?

thanks Blybo.  Will look into that one.  Btw, Is it just me or do routers these days look like a spaceship or a spider? lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

@betty boop Called them up and they asked me to change my router settings, which i think sounds similar to what the ppl on Whirlpool did.  Seems to be working now, but from what i read earlier on Whirlpool, the issue is like a ticking timebomb, only explodes every now and then..  I'll give this a go, ABB said that i have the latest modem from Netcomm, and if the issue persist, they will send another one out.

• Like 1

tsend the modem back and ask for a refund. 

Don't even purchase any mega dollar single unit until you consider a mesh wifi system such as the Orbi.  If you have multi levels and the devices drop out, its all about signal strength and how strong your neighbours wifi signals are!  A mesh system resolve this problem, and no cabling required.  Ive been operating a Orbi unit for at least 3 months and I can say ive had zero drop outs, the bosses ipad use to buffer and now she's never had the issue.  Like you,  nbn for me is FTTC so max speed is 100/40 and I get close to this with Aussie Broadband.  Many thanks to @Snoopy8 recommendations.  if you search the net, these mesh system are just insane.  its wifi done right!

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/261002-wifi-router-for-dual-level/

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

tsend the modem back and ask for a refund. 

Tried that and i had a long conversation to the support person and she said that it would be considered as a change of mind situ as its over the 14 day acceptance period.  She suggested that i do the config changes on the router first, test it out for a week or two.  If it still occurs, then she will send another one out as a replacement.  And if/and only if that re-occurs then i could put in a claim for a refund.  

To be honest, i got the router free through a 24 month plan as a new customer, and if it continues not to work, i'd rather consider a thirdparty modem.

11 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Don't even purchase any mega dollar single unit until you consider a mesh wifi system such as the Orbi.  If you have multi levels and the devices drop out, its all about signal strength and how strong your neighbours wifi signals are!  A mesh system resolve this problem, and no cabling required.  Ive been operating a Orbi unit for at least 3 months and I can say ive had zero drop outs, the bosses ipad use to buffer and now she's never had the issue.  Like you,  nbn for me is FTTC so max speed is 100/40 and I get close to this with Aussie Broadband.  Many thanks to @Snoopy8 recommendations.  if you search the net, these mesh system are just insane.  its wifi done right!

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/261002-wifi-router-for-dual-level/

@Addicted to music - thanks for the heads up.  Lots of good info there.  I need to read up on the Orbi manual to see if it fits my needs - suspect that it will.

• Like 1

@PorkBun69s

I think you should give the new changes a go on the netcomm.  If it plays up again, then look at other router options.  Personally, i dont think  another new router from Aussie BB will change the situation, as it seems to be an intermittent issue.

Food for thought - The Orbi or a mesh system will solve blackspots around the house but you would need to consider the software options on the Asus routers, which is the most comprehensive i've seen on a router to date, that may suit your requirement better.  Both of these would easily outrun the Netcomm, so either way, should you decide to upgrade, is a win - win situation.

Edited by Porkbuns69

@shogo33

I had an NBN problem a little time back.  Telstra said that it was a router modem malfunction.  Efficient Telstra bless them sent me two more router modems.  The problem was not the router modem but an NBN fault.  I now have three perfectly good units.

Do you want one?

John

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Assisi said:

@shogo33

I had an NBN problem a little time back.  Telstra said that it was a router modem malfunction.  Efficient Telstra bless them sent me two more router modems.  The problem was not the router modem but an NBN fault.  I now have three perfectly good units.

Do you want one?

John

Thanks for the offer Assisi.  Will PM soon if it continues to keep playing up.

1 hour ago, shogo33 said:

@PorkBun69s

I think you should give the new changes a go on the netcomm.  If it plays up again, then look at other router options.  Personally, i dont think  another new router from Aussie BB will change the situation, as it seems to be an intermittent issue.

Food for thought - The Orbi or a mesh system will solve blackspots around the house but you would need to consider the software options on the Asus routers, which is the most comprehensive i've seen on a router to date, that may suit your requirement better.  Both of these would easily outrun the Netcomm, so either way, should you decide to upgrade, is a win - win situation.

Been talking throughout the day here at work with some tech guru's.  They'd seem to think its the router and that a firmware fix by Netcomm is needed.  But looking back at the Whirlpool thread, they seem to think its not an issue but a configuration/setting problem.  

I'll wait and monitor the issue if it arks up again, will see what my options are from there.

5 hours ago, Porkbuns69 said:

Been talking throughout the day here at work with some tech guru's.  They'd seem to think its the router and that a firmware fix by Netcomm is needed.  But looking back at the Whirlpool thread, they seem to think its not an issue but a configuration/setting problem.  

I'll wait and monitor the issue if it arks up again, will see what my options are from there.

You (almost) always should run the newest firmware offered.  If there is one available, upgrade.

Although without more specific info - I would categorically disbelieve the "it needs a firmware upgrade" line.    Did they say why?

But looking back at the Whirlpool thread, they seem to think its not an issue but a configuration/setting problem.  

Can you link to the post(s)?.... and we can let you know if the suggestions have merit.

@davewantsmoore  Thanks.  I downloaded and updated the router to the latest firmware that was released late last year (current version).  Will monitor the issue over the weekend if persists.  It was a pain to do the firmware update. The installation updated quickly and smoothly, but i couldnt get a connection after.  Had to do a factory reset on the router, rebooted it, and had to reboot my NBN modem after, then reboot the router next, and only then did internet connectivity got restored.

Here's the forum url on the issue discussed over at Whirlpool:  https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2691384

1 hour ago, Porkbuns69 said:

Here's the forum url on the issue discussed over at Whirlpool:  https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2691384

Jan 2018
Aussie BB are out of options according to tech support and suggested that I keep and eye on the Whirlpool thread. Not a great outcome but the support tech tried every option that he was aware of!

There's very little (to none) in the way of actual troubleshooting in that thread .... but my primary advice would have been to call the ISP and let them help.

If the ISP are at the point where they "consider it a known problem but don't know how to fix it" ... then the next option for the tech is to let you talk to someone who can sort out a refund (or other remedy).   Get a refund - if they can't get the router working as advertised.

Although it does look like people in that thread got working eventually with a new firmware, and a couple of settings (which your ISP should be able to help you figure out - or refund).

The ISP will resist - as if you have telephoned them (whih cyou probably have many times), then you are already losing them money....   replacing/refunding your modem will be more expense for them that they can't afford

...... but that's not your problem  :) 

Nah - that's ok, I love a good mystery.     Seems like there was (it's more unusual than people would think) a need to get a recent firmware

... although at the end of the day - if the router doesn't work as advertised, then you get your money returned.    Sorry I can't be more help - other than to say that the ISP will resist, and you will likely need to speak to someone with more authority than just the tech support guy.

Get the tech support guy to go o record saying it's a "known problem, that they can't fix" .... that will help.

Work has upgraded us to the “latest Dell Latitude 7490”.   This wins 10 laptop has a wifi analyser already available on Wins 10.    

This is what I get in certain parts of the house for 2.4/5Ghz....  it’s picked up just under 30 networks  entering “trespassing”  this space.  Wifi has always been how strong the signal is, the next generation of wifi “AX” will resolve this issue but ATM no devices supports it.    It will be implemented in the Orbi devices latter in the year but you’re going to buy the next generation Orbi hardware and devices to support it.  I can bet the next strongest signal are from neighbours next door around me, that’s why at the other end of the house we were experiencing dropouts.   However the Billion modem I had for 4 years was showing speed inconsistency even standing at ground zero!  Not so when I installed the Orbi.  So that workhorse Billion was on its way out, they don’t last forever!

Please excuse the quality if the pics, it’s to show the Dell Latitude  with the analyser in action.  As I realised you can’t get this on any Apple device without paying for it.  Or you need to purchase hardware to get the apps loaded on IOS.  So this is a real bonus for me!  

082DB109-E78E-4CBC-88B9-3792017AA4DA.jpeg

BDFD09A7-8EC3-4678-93D3-8A53AC9A4BCB.jpeg

C21506EF-BDDB-4E45-ADFC-AA36DDEDD575.jpeg

BF100C04-CE63-407E-9DFA-CFBF2A86C99F.jpeg

66CFD1DD-2243-4E57-A53A-161B8351790F.jpeg

67558943-7F5E-4261-B441-F9FC3C6530BC.jpeg

84A5A4CA-13E4-42BB-A30A-51C480D3089D.jpeg

Edited by Addicted to music

17 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Nah - that's ok, I love a good mystery.     Seems like there was (it's more unusual than people would think) a need to get a recent firmware

... although at the end of the day - if the router doesn't work as advertised, then you get your money returned.    Sorry I can't be more help - other than to say that the ISP will resist, and you will likely need to speak to someone with more authority than just the tech support guy.

Get the tech support guy to go o record saying it's a "known problem, that they can't fix" .... that will help.

@davewantsmoore Cheers! :)  Update - so far so good, but still getting some intermittent disconnection and re connections,  think its time for this router to go..

3 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Work has upgraded us to the “latest Dell Latitude 7490”.   This wins 10 laptop has a wifi analyser already available on Wins 10.    

This is what I get in certain parts of the house for 5Ghz....  it’s picked up just under 30 networks  entering “trespassing”  this space.  Wifi has always been how strong the signal is, the next generation of wifi “AX” will resolve this issue but ATM no devices supports it.    It will be implemented in the Orbi devices latter in the year but you’re going to buy the next generation Orbi hardware and devices to support it.  I can bet the next strongest signal are from neighbours next door around me, that’s why at the other end of the house we were experiencing dropouts.   However the Billion modem I had for 4 years was showing speed inconsistency even standing at ground zero!  Not so when I installed the Orbi.  So that workhorse Billion was on its way out, they don’t last forever!

Please excuse the quality if the pics, it’s to show the Dell Latitude  with the analyser in action.  As I realised you can’t get this on any Apple device without paying for it.  Or you need to purchase hardware to get the apps loaded on IOS.  So this is a real bonus for me!  

082DB109-E78E-4CBC-88B9-3792017AA4DA.jpeg

BDFD09A7-8EC3-4678-93D3-8A53AC9A4BCB.jpeg

C21506EF-BDDB-4E45-ADFC-AA36DDEDD575.jpeg

BF100C04-CE63-407E-9DFA-CFBF2A86C99F.jpeg

66CFD1DD-2243-4E57-A53A-161B8351790F.jpeg

67558943-7F5E-4261-B441-F9FC3C6530BC.jpeg

@Addicted to music - Thanks a million.  I have a mate who is kind enough to bring his Asus 5300 spider router over tomorrow for me to test out.  If this doesnt work (i strongly suspect that it will as its just a beast) then a Mesh system it is then!

• Like 1

OK just a quick update to all.  A mate came over with his AC5300 on Sat. 

Plugged in the Asus AC5300 and re-configured the router for my ABB HFC connection.  This thing is just a wifi range monster!  Even outside the garden, driveway, garage etc, i'm still getting 4 bars over 5Ghz.  For the whole Saturday, i got 12 wifi devices to go crazy running video streaming, through a mix of youtube, netflix vids, the 5300 didnt sweat much at all..   No drop outs whatsoever around the house.

Sadly i had to return it on Sunday, and plugged back the Netcomm into the HFC modem, and just after 4 hours of use, i had another dsconnection and had to reset the router again.  I think its a no brainer that the Netcomm is the culprit and needs to be returned.

Im strongly thinking of getting the AC5300 over a mesh network as its will solve my problem without having to deal with multiple units etc..  

3 hours ago, Porkbuns69 said:

OK just a quick update to all.  A mate came over with his AC5300 on Sat. 

Plugged in the Asus AC5300 and re-configured the router for my ABB HFC connection.  This thing is just a wifi range monster!  Even outside the garden, driveway, garage etc, i'm still getting 4 bars over 5Ghz.  For the whole Saturday, i got 12 wifi devices to go crazy running video streaming, through a mix of youtube, netflix vids, the 5300 didnt sweat much at all..   No drop outs whatsoever around the house.

Sadly i had to return it on Sunday, and plugged back the Netcomm into the HFC modem, and just after 4 hours of use, i had another dsconnection and had to reset the router again.  I think its a no brainer that the Netcomm is the culprit and needs to be returned.

Im strongly thinking of getting the AC5300 over a mesh network as its will solve my problem without having to deal with multiple units etc..  

By any chance did you download Speedtest on your phone and run it at different points in the premises?  

Watch this test:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PvAFsyx5yKA