Smart home brainstorming

Guest rmpfyf
On 15/08/2019 at 4:17 PM, Red Spade Audio said:

Smart smoke detectors can notify you if your house is burning down when you're at work.

I really wanted one of these for the last Reno, but they needed to be linked and Neat wouldn't do. Also bloody expensive.

Turns out Clipsal does a relay base that you can run into something external - could be a UPS I/O, I have it as a separate zone on the alarm system - and so remote notifications. Pretty good, not expensive. Also gave a remote test/hush button, which was nice. Other makes prob have similarly.

nest mini and chromecast both set up without much trouble and working well. Grabbed a few more globes too. 

The only issue so far is with Spotify playback,  because I currently use airplay  for audio (3 airport expresses into stereos around the house, also extending my wifi). 

When google assistant plays Spotify it plays on the nest (or chromecast) as expected.     However,  I’d like it to be able to  ‘control’ the Spotify playing on my iPhone, not take over the playback.  

That sort of multi user control is certainly possible with other devices.    Maybe there’s a way to force Spotify onto a particular player (spotify connect device),  or some other way to do, but I haven’t worked it out. 

Edited by manchu

I checked out the DETA switches yesterday and they seemed fine  (as much as I could tell through the clear plastic packaging),   but they  were sold out of the 4 gang so I didn't grab any.       I did get a  floodlight globe for rear garden and an oyster light ($55) for the kitchen,  both Arlec grid connect.  Even though I'm planning on smart switches for those circuits I wanted smart globes too for the dimming / colour control features.      

I've now got smart lights in all the important locations   (living, lounge, kitchen, front and rear garden).    I've noticed us getting into the habit of leaving switches ON so will see how that goes for a while before deciding on the switches.       I guess I've only spent 25% of the total originally expected  and achieved 75% of the functionality I really wanted.

I had a xiaomi Android TV box sitting idle in a drawer so hooked that up to the rumpus room TV.  Works well,   including the remote with dedicated google assistant button (& mic),  but unfortunately it can't be included in speaker  groups for some reason.  

I only added the Chromecast because it was effectively free with the nest mini,  but the media consumption benefits  have proved to be  a great unexpected side effect of this smart light business.      

• 2 weeks later...

new kitchen light wired up and working well.  

I added a chromecast audio to two hifi systems in the house.   It seemed the  best  way  to overcome the issue of google not playing nice with my existing airplay2 setup for wirelss multi-room audio.      I've still got the airport expresses in place because they're extending my wifi, so I've  got the airplay option but I really can't see me using it often.   

On a side note I tried  to replicate the google assistant/casting  functionality  with Siri/Airplay  but it doesn't seem possible to even add the airport express as an apple homekit accessory.      I'd have been mighty pissed off   if I'd started investing into apple homekit gear before realising this shortfall.        (note: it should work according to apple,  but doesn't for me)

Edited by manchu

• 1 month later...

Google is taking over!!.      I nabbed an even better deal on Google Nest Mini +  Chromecast 3 bundle   and I received a Nest hub for fathers day.

One thing I've realised (especially without an android phone)   is that you need a few google eavesdropping speakers  around the house.         The hub is good for physical control of lights etc,  and managing where music is cast to,   but not good for much else.      It does make a nice digital photo frame though.   

One nest mini is  on our balcony and extends the multi-room audio into the outdoors quite well,   although sounds very average.       For better sound outside I can set the nest  mini default speaker as my Bose soundlink revolve+ speaker,  over bluetooth.    Much better sound,  but you loose sync if playing multi room audio due to the combination of BT and wifi.     

A few new smart plugs too.   

- coffee machine   

- power board serving for  home office  / living room hifi .   

- power board serving main TV/entertainment system.  

The plugs on powerboards each save around  40w standby power (amps, monitors, printer, set top  box, gaming consoles etc etc),.    I  have these set to off for the 1/3 of the day we're usually asleep.

Next I might look at some roller and Venetian  blind automation,  but don't expect that'll come cheap.  

• 1 month later...

Just updating with some recent additions:

Grid Connect   Inline switch and Plug Base added to smarten up some light circuits where i couldn't just swap out a globe.     working well.   

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-grid-connect-smart-inline-switch_p0098816

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-grid-connect-smart-plug-base_p009881

I've ordered the  new Chromecast with google TV.    Works out to <$50 for the CC in this netflix  combo deal so a nice cheap upgrade to 4K  +  remote + the google TV features.        The lack of physical remote for the older chromecast is proving annoying,  especially with the kids because they don't have a phone handy to cast from.     

https://store.google.com/config/chromecast_google_tv_netflix

I grabbed yet another chromecast audio when I saw Kogan had refurbs for sale again so have one on each hifi system now

I also snapped up this google compatible portable speaker for <$100.       Sounds much much better than the Google Nest mini,  while having the benefit portability and water proofing.             

https://www.jbl.com.au/LINK+PORTABLE.html

The portable speaker  has really highlight the fact my wifi isn't all that good,  so new router is probably the next thing to buy.    

Edited by manchu

On 04/11/2020 at 1:24 PM, manchu said:

The portable speaker  has really highlight the fact my wifi isn't all that good,  so new router is probably the next thing to buy.    

Don't soft out mate - get some hardcore WAP's in there :D 

On 15/09/2020 at 12:09 PM, manchu said:

Next I might look at some roller and Venetian  blind automation,  but don't expect that'll come cheap.  

We just did this as part of a Reno of a couple of rooms. It didnt add much over the cost of replacing the blinds and works very well, either following the sun or controlled via phone/remote

On 07/11/2020 at 1:08 PM, rmpfyf said:

Don't soft out mate - get some hardcore WAP's in there :D 

I probably should run some Ethernet around the place first to make the most of what I’ve got.      I’ve got an AirPort Extreme with 3 Expresses extending the wifi network.  Better placement and some hardwiring between should help a bit.   It’d be something on the cards anyway if I buy new hardware. 

9 hours ago, manchu said:

I probably should run some Ethernet around the place first to make the most of what I’ve got.      I’ve got an AirPort Extreme with 3 Expresses extending the wifi network.  Better placement and some hardwiring between should help a bit.   It’d be something on the cards anyway if I buy new hardware. 

We did this a while ago and ended up going full Mikrotik. 

I might be about to sell on one of my Mikrotik WAPs, dual band multi chain, let me know if interested. Effing powerful.