Truth or Snake oil

Guest Muon N'
17 hours ago, audiofeline said:

But would they damage speakers?  I'm sure caffeine would be good for speakers.  It's in shampoo, so it must be good!

Liver failure while near the speakers could inadvertently cause damage to them, not that the speakers would be ya' first concern xD

Edit: just don't consume it in pint glasses :fear:

Edited by Muon N'

4 hours ago, audiofeline said:

I think the inference to audio is that there is no actual connection to audio - it was a humorous post to link the "snake oil" topic, where audio snake oil has no factual link to audio improvement. 

This is right @audiofeline. Actually had no idea there was a product by the same name.

Please don't rub this on your speakers!!!   But if you do.........does it improve the soundstage?

• Like 1

I have found that if my speakers are facing north and are on three spikes the sound stage and depth and whatever else is greatly improved. South east or west is all over the place and not ideal. Four spikes presents all sorts of problems and should be avoided.

Edited by Hazzzy
  • Like 1

On 08/05/2019 at 9:38 AM, cyclingsteve said:

In the search for better audio I have come across many ideas and suggestions that will apparently move you one step closer to audio nirvana. Some of these seem plausible, some seem downright  ridiculous but the person trully believes it. So what are some of the weird things youve been advised or read that will somehow make your music sound better. 

As an example : make sure you have the felt mat on  your LP 12 the right way around otherwise it will effect  the sound quality......I almost burst into hysterics!!!

503C8617-45EA-4B98-A919-7478C4BAB585.jpeg

• Haha 2

Ok Any brave souls want to test this one??....Im not so brave!!

The ALTMANN "TUBE-O-LATOR" LACQUER

http://www.altmann.haan.de/tubeolator/

tube-wood-frei.jpg

The Altmann Tube-o-lator lacquer is an overtone-filter coating-compound for plastic semiconductor packages.

applicate.gif

Features

"tubesound coating"
filters unwanted (bad sounding) overtones from semiconductors like DA-converters, AD-converters, OP-Amps and Discrete Transistors
improves the sound quality of CD-players, DVD or SACD-players, Preamplifiers, Phono-Stages, Main- or Power-Amplifiers
transforms transistor sound into tube sound
transforms cold and harsh sound into warm emotional sound
attenuates odd, especially third overtones
easily applicated
performance can be monitored with FFT measurement equipment (AP)
all other specifications of treated components remain unchanged
no soldering or removing of components necessary
makes semiconductors sound natural
improves the sound quality of AD- and DA-conversions
comes in recloseable 0,5ml process tube with applicator and instructions

• Like 1

• Volunteer
9 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

I have found that if my speakers are facing north and are on three spikes the sound stage and depth and whatever else is greatly improved. South east or west is all over the place and not ideal. Four spikes presents all sorts of problems and should be avoided.

Well obviously...if you change their direction as described they will probably be facing into the corner of your room 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I would have thought that spiking would couple the speaker to the floor resulting in the room downstairs getting more bass

I think if the contact with the floor is just a point or 3 or 4, (say into concrete, or a metal pad on the floor) then the vibrations cannot pass. IF the spike goes into a timber floor say 1mm, then perhaps some small buzzy vibration is conducted, pretty hard to imagine how the vibrating tip could convince the floor to vibrate with some long wave length.  Re 4 spikes not being installed on the same level, I think it is the floor that is usually not flat and 3 spikes sorts that out.

Agree that if the speaker moves, not good, but doubt tweeter mass and size would cause any rocking, certainly compared to the bigger drivers pushing against the air. Worse, panel speakers it is important to hold the frame/chassis from moving, a lot of air resistance against a "sail".

hmm maybe  my post is more serious than this thread is intended for ….. sorry about that..

Guest Muon N'
On 11/05/2019 at 8:04 AM, cyclingsteve said:

"Unbelievable dynamics!"

Not sure what this is meant to do but the results are apparently like night and day

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina44.htm

image.png.71b15cbdc569dc61a89a8ee29c795b8f.png

MACHINA DYNAMICA is well known in the hifi world as just silliness, critique of their silly products has been circulation for a long long time.

10 hours ago, cyclingsteve said:

"Unbelievable dynamics!"

Not sure what this is meant to do but the results are apparently like night and day

Oh my god - what a tub of BS!

That site had my jaw dropped..... pseudo science at a degree I've not seen for awhile.

surely the whole thing is a not-very-good joke?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cyclingsteve said:

"Unbelievable dynamics!"

Amazing that it can even produce improved results on unused outlets!  I would clarify that buying these for unused outlets would produce improved results for their profitability.

• Volunteer
11 hours ago, cyclingsteve said:

"Unbelievable dynamics!"

where is the line though?

Where is something obviously taking the piss and who decides.

If someone says "you are closed-minded because you haven't tried this" why are they any more deluded than someone who advocates for power cable differences? It's all part of the same thing

28 minutes ago, Buffle said:

No, they were just outright fraud.  From the fabricated background story to the products themselves.

Not sure why you single out these guys as fitting that description above... lots of other things.

3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Not sure why you single out these guys as fitting that description above... lots of other things.

There are quite a few, but this guy made specific claims about "secret military" work and technology, or something along those lines.  I don't particularly want to breath more life into that person and his claims by going into detail - there's a fair bit available online if you search for it.

In some cases you wonder whether the vendor is acting deliberately fraudulently or is naive / simply lacks the understanding.  In the Bybee case there was plenty to indicate the former.

Edited by Buffle
  • Like 1