Truth or Snake oil

In the search for better audio I have come across many ideas and suggestions that will apparently move you one step closer to audio nirvana. Some of these seem plausible, some seem downright  ridiculous but the person trully believes it. So what are some of the weird things youve been advised or read that will somehow make your music sound better. 

As an example : make sure you have the felt mat on  your LP 12 the right way around otherwise it will effect  the sound quality......I almost burst into hysterics!!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cyclingsteve said:

As an example : make sure you have the felt mat on  your LP 12 the right way around otherwise it will effect  the sound quality......I almost burst into hysterics!!!

Beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.  This forum is full of examples of things like you mention here.  I think the best thing to do is just let it be and leave those people to their beliefs.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, colinm1 said:

I was told once that if you smoked a joint before listening to the hi if it would be , a very cheap upgrade,compared to the improvement 

Ha.....my music always sounds more detailed and balanced after three scotches ( but it had to be Lagavulin)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, colinm1 said:

I was told once that if you smoked a joint before listening to the hi if it would be , a very cheap upgrade,compared to the improvement

some one told me that the sound became a little hazy, so negated the improvement

Guest kryten2001
53 minutes ago, MrC said:

Beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.  This forum is full of examples of things like you mention here.  I think the best thing to do is just let it be and leave those people to their beliefs.

This is so true. Audiophilia is akin to religion.  If people beleive, then they beleive. You're wasting precious time and effort to convince people otherwise (and who really cares anyway).

1 hour ago, MrC said:

I think the best thing to do is just let it be and leave those people to their beliefs.

No different I suppose to 'leaving those people to their beliefs' when they think immunisation causes autism.

2 minutes ago, A9X said:

No different I suppose to 'leaving those people to their beliefs' when they think immunisation causes autism.

Or that daylight saving will fade the curtains ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest kryten2001
4 minutes ago, A9X said:

LOL quite a bit different. If somebody wants to spend $100k on interconnects, it doesn't affect me. More power to them if it makes them happy.

1 minute ago, MrC said:

Or that daylight saving will fade the curtains ....

I find that belief most prevalent in WA. Oh, wait...

Of course, the problem here is the varying degrees of serpentilience (just made that up) to the good oils being used in your particular hi-fi.

For instance, some would say that a magnet aligned a certain way placed on top of the speaker coil will increase power output and sound quality (or did that idea die of natural causes) another belief is that there is no need for a pre-amp as it causes only extra distortion to the sound. Then there are equipment supports and mega expensive racks, cables, Bybee's, pot Budda's sitting on amplifiers, - you name it.

Some of these ideas have more credence than others and knowing where your own personal level of belief and intolerance is is crucial to knowing where you start to laugh at all the other fools who's line is more on the 'gullible fool' side than your own. (I pity the poor sucker)

This thread is doomed to upset one too many people very soon and get closed so enjoy it while you can.

P>S> did anyone see my daughter the sound engineer in 'The Recording Studio' on ABC last night.

Edited by Grimmie

1 hour ago, cyclingsteve said:

In the search for better audio I have come across many ideas and suggestions that will apparently move you one step closer to audio nirvana. Some of these seem plausible, some seem downright  ridiculous but the person trully believes it. So what are some of the weird things youve been advised or read that will somehow make your music sound better. 

Plenty of snake oil to be found here, that’s for sure. With regard to the felt mat on the LP12 I’d probably start by throwing the felt mat away altogether! ?

Cheers Keith

If you haven't tried the snake oil then how can you say that it doesn't work?

You know, aside from actually understanding how electronics works so that it doesn't seem so open to mysticism.  

• Like 3

Just for a bit of light hearted banter really. But being very open minded I might be inclined to test some of the unusual things like: 

1.stand your speakers on a granite block

2. Sit your TT on  1/2 inch rubber mat

Never know!!!!

Guest deanB
1 hour ago, colinm1 said:

I've never heard that one before. Does one have to smoke the whole thing before the upgrade is noticeable?

Guest deanB
7 minutes ago, cyclingsteve said:

That would be subjective as some people will be affected quicker?

So safer to go for incremental upgrades rather than look for the transformational experience.

4 minutes ago, Irek said:

Friend of mine told me he heard significant improvement in system with added small timber stands for speaker cables. Hmmm....

Image result for speaker cable stands

What a trip!

And is that a big CAT or what!

Edited by deanB

6 minutes ago, Irek said:

Friend of mine told me he heard significant improvement in system with added small timber stands for speaker cables. Hmmm....

I found it introduced more air, but it removed the foundation... to the cable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Irek said:

Image result for speaker cable stands

Hi Irek, Ive heard of this one before...especially on floors that may carry some interference. 

Interesting though as the cables have been placed on timber stands so they are not on a 'timber' floor!! It looks nice and neat for sure. Might actually have some science behind it for carpet that can generate static electrical interference!

1 hour ago, A9X said:

I find that belief most prevalent in WA. Oh, wait...

Yes it is why WA has rejected daylight saving so many times.  We don't like our curtains being faded.

• Haha 2