In the search for better audio I have come across many ideas and suggestions that will apparently move you one step closer to audio nirvana. Some of these seem plausible, some seem downright  ridiculous but the person trully believes it. So what are some of the weird things youve been advised or read that will somehow make your music sound better. 

As an example : make sure you have the felt mat on  your LP 12 the right way around otherwise it will effect  the sound quality......I almost burst into hysterics!!!

4 minutes ago, cyclingsteve said:

As an example : make sure you have the felt mat on  your LP 12 the right way around otherwise it will effect  the sound quality......I almost burst into hysterics!!!

Beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.  This forum is full of examples of things like you mention here.  I think the best thing to do is just let it be and leave those people to their beliefs.

Posted (edited)

I was told once that if you smoked a joint before listening to the hi if it would be , a very cheap upgrade,

Edited by colinm1

1 minute ago, colinm1 said:

I was told once that if you smoked a joint before listening to the hi if it would be , a very cheap upgrade,compared to the improvement 

Ha.....my music always sounds more detailed and balanced after three scotches ( but it had to be Lagavulin)

3 minutes ago, colinm1 said:

I was told once that if you smoked a joint before listening to the hi if it would be , a very cheap upgrade,compared to the improvement

some one told me that the sound became a little hazy, so negated the improvement

This thread would be a good example, but I could usually find something similar full of 'belief' ie snake oil most days.

53 minutes ago, MrC said:

Beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.  This forum is full of examples of things like you mention here.  I think the best thing to do is just let it be and leave those people to their beliefs.

This is so true. Audiophilia is akin to religion.  If people beleive, then they beleive. You're wasting precious time and effort to convince people otherwise (and who really cares anyway).

1 hour ago, MrC said:

I think the best thing to do is just let it be and leave those people to their beliefs.

No different I suppose to 'leaving those people to their beliefs' when they think immunisation causes autism.

2 minutes ago, A9X said:

No different I suppose to 'leaving those people to their beliefs' when they think immunisation causes autism.

Or that daylight saving will fade the curtains ....

4 minutes ago, A9X said:

LOL quite a bit different. If somebody wants to spend $100k on interconnects, it doesn't affect me. More power to them if it makes them happy.