Tonearm rewire

I have an Audio Technica AT-1005 II which needs rewiring so that I can replace the arm on my Lenco L75.  Does anyone know of someone, preferably in Melbourne, who can do this job for me. 

Cheers, Savas

Needs to be rewired because of an accident while I was trying to loosen one of the spring-loaded connectors at the headshell end.  

Thinking about it, your suggestion regarding new arm makes sense, so will likely sell mine as parts and buy another arm.  .  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 08/05/2019 at 3:51 PM, Stump said:

I'd be very cautious there. I was at cav for years, when Ben started there, he'd never owned a turntable  before.  when he sold a tt & cartridge he'd have to get me to mount the cartridge,as he had no idea how to fo it.

Now he presents himself as a tt " expert "

His first Linn sale had me going to the customers house to set it up. 

Salesman - not an audio person. I don't think he actually listens to music.

On 08/05/2019 at 12:15 PM, smav said:

Needs to be rewired because of an accident while I was trying to loosen one of the spring-loaded connectors at the headshell end.  

Thinking about it, your suggestion regarding new arm makes sense, so will likely sell mine as parts and buy another arm.  .  

Do you mean the connector has snapped off?  I did that a little while ago, and was able to solder it back on whilst in-situ.  Painful, but achievable.  

1 hour ago, magical said:

I'd be very cautious there. I was at cav for years, when Ben started there, he'd never owned a turntable  before.  when he sold a tt & cartridge he'd have to get me to mount the cartridge,as he had no idea how to fo it.

Turntables are not rocket science.  Hopefully he has learned on the . Job.He striped my TT down and put together well.  418EC176-5B53-46D4-AE47-5C6D6D9B37B0.thumb.jpeg.bf2eceb5d1b099c70f90b3edf63d3905.jpeg

• Like 1

One of the pins at the  headshell connector end was stuck and in trying to loosen it, I managed to snap all the wires.  I didn’t realise there was a grub screw holding the din connector in place at the base until after I did it.  The arm was supposed to be a drop in replacement for my Lenco L75 but will have to wait until I can get it sorted out.

• 4 months later...
On 07/06/2019 at 4:13 PM, magical said:

You'd want to be very careful what you say about others, especially when it's completely wrong. Ben worked at VAF over 20 years ago and at that time owned  Rega P3 and was learning the ropes. He stated working for CAV and since then his passion and experience in turntables has increased to the point were he's probably forgotten more than most will ever know.

He presents himself as a TT expert now because he is. He travelled at his own expense to LINN Glasgow and underwent the intense LINN service training. He's also undergone other specific training and is one of a VERY few that understands and can set up turntables correctly.

He is an extremely competent audio professional respected within the industry for his honesty, reliability and knowledge.

As far as his passion for turntables goes - he personally owns 48 turntables, over 100 carts and numerous tone arms - all purchased to explore and understand as much and as many combinations as possible.

He is our trusted go to for service and support and has now rebuilt and professionally set up over 30 turntables for us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 07/06/2019 at 6:32 PM, Stump said:

Turntables are not rocket science.  Hopefully he has learned on the . Job.He striped my TT down and put together well.

418EC176-5B53-46D4-AE47-5C6D6D9B37B0.thumb.jpeg.bf2eceb5d1b099c70f90b3edf63d3905.jpeg

What is that most interesting-looking UP arm, Stump?

Andy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, andyr said:

What is that most interesting-looking UP arm, Stump?

Andy

Transcriptors Fluid Hydraulically Damped Tonearm

Description

The Transcriptors Fluid arm has been developed specifically for use with modern cartridges of not more than 16g weight, tracking at no more than 2g.

It employs a unipivot working in an oil-filled well, so that the arm beam assembly relies for it's lateral support, stability and resonant damping on the fluid surrounding the pivot.

This results in a substantially friction-free pivot of high stability.

An adjustable eccentric counterweight allows both lateral and longitudinal balancing of the arm.

Fine control of longitudinal balancing to allow adjustment of the stylus tracking force within a fraction of a gram is provided by a screwed counterweight.

Also provided with the Fluid arm is a bias compensating device so designed as to use a rolling motion.

An adjustable bias weight operating through a pulley gives correct compensation as the stylus moves towards the centre of the record.

A lifting and positioning device is provided incorporating a hydraulic lowering hand wheel which lowers the arm onto the record automatically, but which can be over-ridden when required for accurate manual positioning.

A plug-in headshell is fitted for mounting the cartridge, no soldering is required, and the signal outputs are taken via a pair of 3-feet long screened leads terminated in co-axial plugs.

Specifications

Length: 229 or 254mm

Fixing: single hole 25mm diameter

Adjustment: vertical 64mm, horizontal 13mm

Counterweight overhang: 76 or 82mm

Overall length: 305 or 330mm

Mounting distance: 216 or 241mm

Cartridge type: not greater than 16g, tracking at <2g

10 minutes ago, Stump said:

Transcriptors Fluid Hydraulically Damped Tonearm

Description

The Transcriptors Fluid arm has been developed specifically for use with modern cartridges of not more than 16g weight, tracking at no more than 2g.

It employs a unipivot working in an oil-filled well, so that the arm beam assembly relies for it's lateral support, stability and resonant damping on the fluid surrounding the pivot.

This results in a substantially friction-free pivot of high stability.

An adjustable eccentric counterweight allows both lateral and longitudinal balancing of the arm.

Fine control of longitudinal balancing to allow adjustment of the stylus tracking force within a fraction of a gram is provided by a screwed counterweight.

Also provided with the Fluid arm is a bias compensating device so designed as to use a rolling motion.

An adjustable bias weight operating through a pulley gives correct compensation as the stylus moves towards the centre of the record.

A lifting and positioning device is provided incorporating a hydraulic lowering hand wheel which lowers the arm onto the record automatically, but which can be over-ridden when required for accurate manual positioning.

A plug-in headshell is fitted for mounting the cartridge, no soldering is required, and the signal outputs are taken via a pair of 3-feet long screened leads terminated in co-axial plugs.

Specifications

Length: 229 or 254mm

Fixing: single hole 25mm diameter

Adjustment: vertical 64mm, horizontal 13mm

Counterweight overhang: 76 or 82mm

Overall length: 305 or 330mm

Mounting distance: 216 or 241mm

Cartridge type: not greater than 16g, tracking at <2g

Very cool - thanks, S.

Just one suggestion - IMO, you would get better sound if the c'weight was able to be right up next to the bearing housing.  (Yours appears to be ~30mm away?)

Obviously, the position of the c'weight depends on:

1. the weight of the cart.
  2. the weight of the c'weight, and
  3. the VTF you choose.

Give 1 and 3 are fixed ... the only way you can get the c'weight closer to the pivot is by increasing its weight.  So can you get someone to machine you a replacement eccentric c'weight which is, say, 50% heavier?

See this pic of my 'Univector' arm:

171955053_SkeletaLinnv212.thumb.jpg.452d5d85cc11eaf6c5116424835c85c8.jpg

The c'weight on my front arm is jammed right up against the bearing housing.

Andy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, andyr said:

Very cool - thanks, S.

Just one suggestion - IMO, you would get better sound if the c'weight was able to be right up next to the bearing housing.  (Yours appears to be ~30mm away?)

Obviously, the position of the c'weight depends on:

1. the weight of the cart.
  2. the weight of the c'weight, and
  3. the VTF you choose.

Give 1 and 3 are fixed ... the only way you can get the c'weight closer to the pivot is by increasing its weight.  So can you get someone to machine you a replacement eccentric c'weight which is, say, 50% heavier?

See this pic of my 'Univector' arm:

The c'weight on my front arm is jammed right up against the bearing housing.

Andy

The Transcriptors Fluid  Tonearm is a very Gangly   arm which I never expected to get running properly.Most players were upgraded  with an SME 3009 . I kept it as a original static display until I had Vaf and Ben get it running and am very surprise how good it sounds.... I have the best of both worlds now..

1 hour ago, Stump said:

The Transcriptors Fluid  Tonearm is a very Gangly   arm which I never expected to get running properly.Most players were upgraded  with an SME 3009 . I kept it as a original static display until I had Vaf and Ben get it running and am very surprise how good it sounds.... I have the best of both worlds now..

Sure, S.  :thumb:  All I'm suggesting is - if you like the sound ... you can make it better (providing you can find a mate with a lathe!  :lol: ).

Andy

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, andyr said:

Sure, S.  :thumb:  All I'm suggesting is - if you like the sound ... you can make it better (providing you can find a mate with a lathe!  :lol: ).

Andy

I have another TT which sounds better!resize.JPG.1189a7652b351e0629101f984e5ddddf.JPG