VAF Research Owners & Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

VAF are a “unique” company to deal with  in the most positive way.

I purchased a pair of i93 S3 SE speakers from an SNA member - dealing with VAF for a while now to get some information to allow me to fit spikes / outriggers, you would think I was the original owner - just brilliant people to deal with.

I did buy a pair of their SW19 subwoofers which are something else, however, am far from their most “treasured” client - I suspect to work at VAF you need to love the job and the customers, be they potential or returning clientele.

• 1 month later...

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Any one has the spec sheet for the I-series? Of particularly importance is the impedance and phase curves vs frequency. Really want to know how hard/ easy the I-series is on amplifiers. Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

I have been a HiFi enthusiast for most of my adult life.

I built my own valve amplifier (Twin 6V6 class A design) & loudspeaker cabinets when I was 18 years old. (Many decades ago!!)

I was never wealthy enough to buy high end equipment until I splashed out a little bit in 2000 on the early VAF DCX kit speaker kit, a DC6 centre speaker & the VAF twin 8 inch powered subwoofer.

I have used Yamaha AV receivers in recent years to make our home theatre experience pleasant but not extravagant.

I am considering upgrading ONLY my main speakers to the VAF signature i93s purely for listening to stereo music & as the front L/R in the existing home theatre system.

I understand that the 89db sensitivity of the i93s vs the 96db of the DCX will be harder work for the 140 watts RMS into 8 ohms stereo output of my receiver, but am hoping that I can get by without investing in 2 huge mono block power amplifiers for now.

Please comment regarding my power amplifier choice if you have experience driving lower sensitivity speakers with only 140 watts RMS.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Which one better?

I did have plenty of long term  A/B on each Amp. Each gave me 10/10 listen pleasure. The Vitus was more fast and precise where the LM  was more warm and engaging..🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrickyB said:

...I have used Yamaha AV receivers in recent years to make our home theatre experience pleasant but not extravagant...

i don't think an AV receiver will do the VAF speakers you have in mind justice. you are going to get a lot of stereo amp recommendations.

see how you go but even a $600-800 integrated amp with HT by-bass (even that's debatable) going 2nd hand here would be worth giving a go in the big scheme of things.

even a yamaha wxa-50 (i have the pre-amp mxc-50 equivalent) which would slip into a Yamaha eco-system well

Edited by wasabijim
added web link

17 hours ago, wasabijim said:

i don't think an AV receiver will do the VAF speakers you have in mind justice. you are going to get a lot of stereo amp recommendations.

see how you go but even a $600-800 integrated amp with HT by-bass (even that's debatable) going 2nd hand here would be worth giving a go in the big scheme of things.

even a yamaha wxa-50 (i have the pre-amp mxc-50 equivalent) which would slip into a Yamaha eco-system well

I have a Yamaha RXV2085 with a manufacturer spec of 140 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms with 2 channels driven, so I figure that with the lower impedance of the i93s the output would be even higher.

The amp sounds quite comfortable at high output levels into my VAF DCXs, so I was hoping that it might do a reasonable job for me.

I am not an audiophile & my "retiree" ears are less efficient than when I could comfortably hear 16 kilohertz as a young man, so I'll probably visit VAF to audition the i93s & ask some questions about my current amplifier's ability in the short term.

Thanks for your input.

@TrickyB  looking at the Specs from Yamaha website ...the RX-V2085 appears to be fairly robust...so I reckon it would satisfy your stated short term objective. (But start saving for the amplification upgrade in the longer term).

If you are super keen, and VAF allowed, lug the RX into their showroom for a trial :0) but either way let us know how it pans out.

image.png.8c35b24528f9e8ab55ae6dda6d525fcd.png

Cheers

2B

Edited by 2Brix
  • Like 2