SBS Free To Air Movie Channel.

I hope add free

waste of time watching movies with adds in them

the better the movie the bigger the time waste

sbs needs to start a paid streaming service for all its movies and tv shows or at least an option to pay for add free

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, keyse1 said:

I hope add free

waste of time watching movies with adds in them

the better the movie the bigger the time waste

sbs needs to start a paid streaming service for all its movies and tv shows or at least an option to pay for add free

while I fully agree, and wish it would be an add free channel, I think there's close to zero chance of adds not being a big part of the mix. Even in the OnDemand the adds are being spliced into the actual content before and after the "official" "here's the adds" bookmark. So the advert count is " playing add 1 of total 3" but you actually get 5 adds total in the add break.

16 hours ago, zippi said:

while I fully agree, and wish it would be an add free channel, I think there's close to zero chance of adds not being a big part of the mix. Even in the OnDemand the adds are being spliced into the actual content before and after the "official" "here's the adds" bookmark. So the advert count is " playing add 1 of total 3" but you actually get 5 adds total in the add break.

One more reason to use a PVR to record and skip the commercials on FTA TV. Hardly use catch-up TV due to the unskippable commercials and low quality video.

Also bad luck for those with very old MPEG-2 only TVs. Not being able to watch any of the MPEG-4 only channels. Unless they buy a PVR or set top box compatible with MPEG-4 and watch through that.

MPEG-4 only stations
Metropolitan: 7food network, Racing.com / SBS Viceland (From June 17),  SBS World Movies ( (From July 1st)

Regional: 9Life, SBM, Aspire TV / 7Flix, ishop TV, Racing.com / TVSN / Sky News on WIN, Gold (All MPEG-4 576i SDTV)

List of digital television channels in Australia

Edited by g12345567
  • Like 1

Even with the ad breaks it still going to be welcome in this household. I started watching SBS back in the day because they aired mostly foreign language films which to me are superior to the comic book hero trash that comes out of the U.S. I don't know if government directives are responsible,  but it all changed when Howard was in power. Ads were introduced and slowly all foreign language content was supplanted with English language shows. You hardly see any foreign language movies on SBS now unless it's a movie that starts after 1 am. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Even with the ad breaks it still going to be welcome in this household. I started watching SBS back in the day because they aired mostly foreign language films which to me are superior to the comic book hero trash that comes out of the U.S. I don't know if government directives are responsible,  but it all changed when Howard was in power. Ads were introduced and slowly all foreign language content was supplanted with English language shows. You hardly see any foreign language movies on SBS now unless it's a movie that starts after 1 am. 

the long string of ads on SBS starting to really annoy me! Endless promos for upcoming shows plus a few ads at every break!

At least they're less on demand. SS-GB is great. Been seduced by Netflix lately, on a free trial but I can see that being extended!

Really loving Babylon Berlin (in German with subtitles, how it should be!) on Netflix.

2 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Not for me

I agree on sbs and foreign language films

they also have the best tv shows now that Murdoch gets first go at the BBC

i can put up with adds and fast forwarding recorded shows but great movies and television are wrecked by adds

1 hour ago, Ian McP said:

Really loving Babylon Berlin

A bit off topic -  saw Season 1 and 2 last year on Netflix and loved it. Blown away more like it. Feels so relevant and of today, ground breaking in many ways. Shame they haven't bought the rest of the seasons.  Sorry for being off topic. More closely SBS related - this series would fit SBS just so....

I wouldn't hold your hopes up about ads.  I posted some months ago in the SBS thread about the frequency and numbers of ads on SBS On Demand.  I don't think there is any regulation of advertising on on-demand services.

Having said that, there are still lots of films on On Demand that you would never get to see anywhere else - for example Volver by Pedro de Almodovar, which I saw at the weekend.  Where else are you going to see films of that calibre on free-to-air?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

The movie channel is up and running. Hopefully SBS will broadcast some oldies as well as movies from the last 10 or so years.

They really should have themed nights

Classics, Martial Arts, Noir, Romance

once in a while at least

• Like 1

Looking good. Jacques Tati's Playtime was shown this afternoon and tonight's offerings look appealing.

Eye in the Sky
7:30PM
M
UK, 2016
Genre: Drama, Thriller, War
Language: English
Director: Gavin Hood
Starring: Alan Rickman, Helen Mirren, Aaron Paul, Barkhad Abdi, Iain Glen
What's it about?
London based military intelligence officer Colonel Michelle Madden (Mirren) is set to remotely command a top secret drone operation to capture a group of dangerous terrorists from their safe-house in Nairobi, Kenya. The carefully planned mission suddenly escalates from a 'capture' to a 'kill' operation when Madden realises that the terrorists are about to embark on a deadly suicide mission, which would result in the catastrophic deaths of many innocent civilians. 

Just a Breath Away
9:30PM
M
France, 2018
Genre: Science Fiction
Language: French
Director: Daniel Roby
Starring: Romain Duris, Olga Kurylenko, Fantine Harduin, Michel Robin
What's it about?
A strange and deadly mist envelops Paris. A group of survivors finds refuge on the upper floors of apartment blocks and on the roofs of the capital. With no information, electricity, food or water, a couple attempts to survive this disaster and save their daughter. But as the hours go by, one thing becomes quite clear: there is no help on the way, and if they want to make it through this catastrophe alive, they will have to try their luck in the mist…

Kids are catered for on the weekends with the wonderful Studio Ghibli cartoons being televised from 6 a.m.

Hi Everyone

It's great that the World Movies is now free to air.

I think it was a subscription channel previously?

I watch my Samsung Smart TV via Fetch (free to air plus subscription channels)

World Movies doesn't appear on my Fetch TV Guide. It shows the 2 Vice channels

My understanding is that one of the 1 Vice channels has now become World Movies.

Can anyone advise me whether I need to use my Samsung TV remote (not the Fetch) to re-tune the channels to obtain World Movies?

22 minutes ago, Yatto said:

Hi Everyone

My understanding is that one of the 1 Vice channels has now become World Movies.

Can anyone advise me whether I need to use my Samsung TV remote (not the Fetch) to re-tune the channels to obtain World Movies?

Mine automatically split the two without having to re-tune. The new channel comes up as SBS World Movies though it's not next to Viceland and SBS when I scroll one channel at a time with the blahjam (remote).

Need help. I used to have SBS Viceland on the TV and it then lost signal when it went to World movies. I have used the auto tune a number of times and I can now no longer get Viceland or World Movies. The TV picks up everything else, including all the SBS and their radio stations  radio stations but doesn’t even list Viceland and World Movies.  Suburban Adelaide and max signal on all other stations. Any ideas?

20 hours ago, Yatto said:

Hi Everyone

Select Menu/Manage/Settings/Channels.

Scroll down and see if it appears in the list when you scroll down. If it does, tick the "My Channels" box. If it isn't there, do a Full Channel Scan, and have another look.

20 hours ago, Ooogh said:

Need help. I used to have SBS Viceland on the TV and it then lost signal when it went to World movies. I have used the auto tune a number of times and I can now no longer get Viceland or World Movies. The TV picks up everything else, including all the SBS and their radio stations  radio stations but doesn’t even list Viceland and World Movies.  Suburban Adelaide and max signal on all other stations. Any ideas?

Try using the TV remote to select  channel 32 using the numbers directly.

My Pana tv lets me know when a new station has been added - l then have to go to the menu and add it to my favourite channel list

2 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Try using the TV remote to select  channel 32 using the numbers directly.

My Pana tv lets me know when a new station has been added - l then have to go to the menu and add it to my favourite channel list

Thanks for the idea Grumpy but it just says invalid channel. I can access all other channels that way. Bit of a mystery.

3 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

Select Menu/Manage/Settings/Channels.

Scroll down and see if it appears in the list when you scroll down. If it does, tick the "My Channels" box. If it isn't there, do a Full Channel Scan, and have another look.

Unfortunately 31 and 32 are no longer on the channel list and a full scan does not pick them up. Think I might dig out the old desk top box and see if that does the job.

23 hours ago, Ooogh said:

Assume your problem occurred some time after 1 July.  Your television may not be HD MPEG-4 compatible.  How old is your TV?

50 minutes ago, Jeddie said:

Assume your problem occurred some time after 1 July.  Your television may not be HD MPEG-4 compatible.  How old is your TV?

Not sure. In my terms it is modern, doesn’t need a set top box, but is second hand . Does claim HD on the front but I fear you may be right. How new to they have to be to be HD MPEG_4 compatible?