I’m interested if anybody has had experience with this or similar products for sound optimisation.

Reading the blurb they can diagnose and filter (fix?) most room acoustic issues such as bass traps etc.

They’re costly, but prom a lot from being able to replace your dac and even preamp.

Any experiences or thoughts welcome.

I am not a DEQX owner - but I do run a miniDSP 10x10HD.  Which gives me 8x analogue channels out - for:

• subs
  • woofers
  • mids, and
  • tweeters.

And, of course, DSP for room correction - as well as the active filters for my mains.

AIUI, the difference between the right DEQX (for your needs) and my miniDSP 10x10 is that the DEQX does some things automatically - which I have to do manually, with REW and a PC.

IOW - it's a great product.  :thumb:

Andy

I don’t have one but seen them in action.

Depending on your setup and room they can either be brilliant or just good.

But there is quite a steep learning curve particularly if your going active with multiple amps.

Go to the DEQX site and watch "The DEQX factor" clip. Their handling of timing seems to be overlooked too often.

I've never used a DEQX but have read about them over the years, including users who think they're excellent.

They are very sophisticated and to get the best from a DEQX you need to measure your speakers separately first, then the whole system.

Before going down this road you should read as much as you can about the subject of Digital Signal Processing (DSP), EQ and room treatment. The main object of all of this is to correct for the interference of the room on the sound coming out of your speakers.

Positioning of speakers and chair, then room treatment (Bass traps etc.) are the first choice if your domestic situation allows: i.e. you have a dedicated listening room where you can do what you like. You can then complete the task with DSP or EQ.

If you can't do positioning or room treatment for whatever reason, then DSP/EQ is your saviour.

DSP/EQ is the job of DEQX, MiniDSP, and other gear. It can also be done by software if you use a computer based audio.

The question of a pre-amp or DAC is just a practical add on for these products. You don't have to buy them installed I don't think.

In my situation I listen to CDs only and have a separate CD Transport and DAC. I use a Behringer DEQ2496 sitting between these two and only working in digital. The Behringer has an ADC and DAC but I don't use them. If however I played vinyl I would need to convert from and then back to analogue with the ADC and DAC.

I'd think long and hard before spending a lot of money on the DEQX. There are cheaper products (like the MiniDSP) that seem to do most of what you may need. They can all make a substantial difference but if you don't know what you are doing it's easy to mess things up. They are no an easy solution.

13 hours ago, The Drake said:

I’m interested if anybody has had experience with this or similar products for sound optimisation.

Reading the blurb they can diagnose and filter (fix?) most room acoustic issues such as bass traps etc.

They’re costly, but prom a lot from being able to replace your dac and even preamp.

Any experiences or thoughts welcome.

What problems are you trying to solve? 

There are things that can be done prior to room correction. Understanding the room, positioning speakers, measuring the room, room treatment are things that can be done for free or relatively low cost.  Room correction itself cannot solve all the problems of the room, should be used in conjunction.

Room correction software and hardware can be low cost to thousands of dollars, and effort can be easy, do it yourself to highly complex setup.  While the article below is more for home theatre, it will give you an idea of the options.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/241968-good-summary-room-correction-software/?tab=comments#comment-3856038

@almikel  can give a DEQX owner's perspective...

Have we got a thread comparing the major offerings for DSP, pro's/con's, suitability etc? Could be a good article for someone in the know.

What do we have?

- DEQX

- Mini DSP

- Xilica

Behringer

- QSC

- Other computer based options?

Thanks so much for the great feedback.
My situation is:
I don’t have a dedicated Hi-Fi room, so must live with some arrangement compromise;
I am running Magneplanar 20.7, and just ordered 2xREL subs after playing with a single sub for a week.
I had the sub come in so it was very subtle, just providing me that low rumble I was missing on things like some bass guitar, cello etc.
I created a play list on the Aurender N10 covering a wide range of music, from vocals (Amos Lee) to piano (Yamamoto tsuyoshi) instrumental (Oregon, Crossing) to some bass heavy pop (Bliss).
The sub definitely bought some things to life, but as will surprise no one, the trick was getting enough from the sub on subtle strings, without it being a bit messy on the base heavy pop stuff.
I played with sub positions a little (but limited by my room), sub aiming direction, listening position (only minor adjustments available to me) etc etc.
I guess I was thinking that I could adopt some optimisation technology to fine tune.
The RELs should arrive next week so I have a bit of ‘playing’ ahead of me.
Cheers

Posted (edited)

DSPeaker Antimode may be a cheaper option? (Not that you asked for options 😂) Help you integrate the 2 subs and sort out the bottom end, which it appears is all you are after.

Edited by DarkNark

4 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

Have we got a thread comparing the major offerings for DSP, pro's/con's, suitability etc? Could be a good article for someone in the know.

What do we have?

- DEQX

- Mini DSP

- Xilica

Behringer

- QSC

- Other computer based options?

I think you can add a Velodyne SMS-1 to that list for sub duties.