Possible HDMI Handshake Problem

4 minutes ago, joz said:

Is the splitter powered?

i got mine from jaycar  which is powered .

Yes of course it was .... I am going to JayCar now!!!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrC said:

Guess what ....  I just purchased a HDMI splitter that was supposed to be 4K compliant.

With both the TV and projector connected to the HDMI splitter (and hence just ONE HDMI cable to the AVR OUT), I can get a picture from the TV from any source (hooray).  BUT and its a big but, it will not pass a 4K signal.  For example, the 4K channel will NOT display on the TV and a UHD disc will only be displayed in 1080p.

The biggest downside is the same UHD disc will just NOT display through the projector !!!   So perhaps I have a DUD HDMI splitter ?!!??  Remember before that the projector would operate flawlessly when NOT using the HDMI splitter.

Do I ask for a refund on the HDMI splitter ?  Here is the splitter that I purchased.  It has an in-built HDMI cable, so perhaps that is the problem.

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/632282/ALOGIC-2-Port-HDMI-20-4K-Splitter-winbuilt-50cm-Cable

Yep, sounds like it's not really 4K compliant. time for a refund.

my best sugestion would be to check wth ezyhd. does this kind of thing for living am sure will know what's best. 

in my setup for my fetch either the officeworks and jay car one work. though its not like fetch is passing full bandwith uhd  or anything and not like I am passing all my devices through it to split,  both office works and jay car do no questions asked returns.

ultimately these are still work arounds. ideally narrow down to one component causing issue and take care of it. otherwise its a pain and seems crazy having a fully compliant AVR and having to do splitting/switching  with some other thing ! 

I woudl also keep hounding onkyo on the side...

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yep, sounds like it's not really 4K compliant. time for a refund.

Just got my refund.  Now to set up and experiment with the JayCar HDMI splitter.

• Like 1

Ok ... with the JayCar HDMI splitter this DOES pass a 4K signal.  So now with a SINGLE HDMI out from the AVR to the splitter, ALL is good.  I now get picture on the TV and projector in UHD glory.  So to a degree the problem is solved with a splitter that does that job.  Cartwheels being done in my theatre room ... oops gotta watch out for all the extra wires and cables now!!

I will still push for an answer from Ambertech.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Ambertech support person (Garry) has already responded to another one of my emails ... which is very encouraging that he is on the task.  Have to compliment him for this .....

3 hours ago, MrC said:

Ok ... with the JayCar HDMI splitter this DOES pass a 4K signal.  So now with a SINGLE HDMI out from the AVR to the splitter, ALL is good.  I now get picture on the TV and projector in UHD glory.  So to a degree the problem is solved with a splitter that does that job.  Cartwheels being done in my theatre room ... oops gotta watch out for all the extra wires and cables now!!

I will still push for an answer from Ambertech.

Good news with the splitter ; I notice your avr has a combination of hdcp1.4 and 2.2 on its inputs [and transcodes 1080p and analogue] . If the edid signalling is problematic you can ensure the 2nd display is always sending a signal to lock on to - and swap the splitter out if you want to run the risk ? 

https://www.gefen.com/product/hdmi-detective-plus-EXT-HD-EDIDPN

Edited by cwt

It looks to me its a clash between devices or one could be faulty, possibly a AVR EDID problem as said.

As the HDMi cables both Ruipro and the high speed work without the AVR it isn't those causing the problem.

• Like 1