Possible HDMI Handshake Problem

1 minute ago, MrC said:

This sounds like it is going to be difficult.  I will need to get technical support from each.  But why would one party not try to sheet blame to another? 

Ask them to prove it's the other party. They would need extracts of the EDID data exhanged between devices and the responses.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Ask them to prove it's the other party. They would need extracts of the EDID data exhanged between devices and the responses.

ok .... but how will they know how the other parties product reacts to their own product?

2 minutes ago, MrC said:

ok .... but how will they know how the other parties product reacts to their own product?

They would have to send a tech out to your place, unless there's a remote diagnostic they can run over the net.

Just now, Quark said:

They would have to send a tech out to your place, unless there's a remote diagnostic they can run over the net.

ok .... Thank you for your suggestions and advice so far.  I have kept a record of all that I have tried so far, and I will be giving whoever needs to read all this as background information.

There is still one thing that puzzles me.

With ALL devices connected :

The TV WILL display content AFTER previously having the projector displaying a source (say the FoxTel IQ4 box), by switching displays from the projector (where the projector turns off) to the TV (where the TV turns on but the AVR is kept on) i.e.  I can get the TV to display a picture AFTER I have been watching content on the projector.

1 minute ago, MrC said:

The TV WILL display content AFTER previously having the projector displaying a source (say the FoxTel IQ4 box), by switching displays from the projector (where the projector turns off) to the TV (where the TV turns on but the AVR is kept on) i.e.  I can get the TV to display a picture AFTER I have been watching content on the projector.

See my first post - welcome to the wacky world of EDID data exchange.

14 minutes ago, MrC said:

ok ... is my experience so far considered to be an outlier?

No, it's common for EDID problems when two displays are in use.  One area where manufacturers really tend to stuff it up consistently.

47 minutes ago, MaxPlumage said:

Have you tried a different HDMI cable to the TV? If not would you be able to?

No since the TV is wall mounted.

1 hour ago, MrC said:

This is conjecture MrC but there are avr's /pre pro's that have decent matrix switching to both hdmi outs to feed separate edid sources [eg my yam 5100] and others that have straight switching [ Emotiva comes to mind] 

I would ask Amber which you have ; otherwise if the onkyo is reading 1 edid at a time the lowest common denominator may determine which display gets precedence [ it doesn't matter if its turned off - hdmi never sleeps] . As Quark said hdmi is up to every ce's individual interpretation :blush: Its probably been mentioned but switch off any and all CEC commands and ARC ; whether anynet; vieralink; simplink etc - crap proprietary  methods for the same hdmi protocol ..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MaxPlumage said:

Have you tried a different HDMI cable to the TV? If not would you be able to?

Have just swapped this cable with another high speed cable purchased from EzyHD ... no difference to the situation.

• Like 1

Just now, joz said:

Have you tried a HDMI splitter between the problem deivices?

These tend to remove any handshake issues.

This is a good option to try - use one output from the Onkyo > splitter > displays.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

This is a good option to try - use one output from the Onkyo > splitter > displays.

Won't this degrade the signal being sent?

26 minutes ago, Quark said:

I found my EzyHD splitter I purchased many years ago ... set this up with JUST the TV connected to the splitter.  No picture from the splitter !

I don't like the idea of having to split the signal from one AVR out.

9 minutes ago, MrC said:

I found my EzyHD splitter I purchased many years ago ... set this up with JUST the TV connected to the splitter.  No picture from the splitter !

I don't like the idea of having to split the signal from one AVR out.

well probably not much likely else going to solve it I suspect because its HDMI handshake and poor hdcp programming on one of the units thats likely causing.

some devices eg fetch mighty 2 are well established ot have flawed programming for hdcp and common fix which I also utilise is to plonk a splitter in path as it inadvertently strips the hdcp removing the issue.

I am also aware of some of the poxtel boxes that need similar. while odnt lie it or what ever it is one solution....

• Like 1

One thing you can try is to change the bit depth / chroma processing from 4:4:4 to 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 on your TV. Basically 'downgrade' from HDR to SDR if you can and see if that makes a difference.

I had issues with handshaking with 4:4:4 12 or 10 bit (my gear is not the latest).

Just try it for what it's worth.

11 minutes ago, betty boop said:

well probably not much likely else going to solve it I suspect because its HDMI handshake and poor hdcp programming on one of the units thats likely causing.

some devices eg fetch mighty 2 are well established ot have flawed programming for hdcp and common fix which I also utilise is to plonk a splitter in path as it inadvertently strips the hdcp removing the issue.

I am also aware of some of the poxtel boxes that need similar. while odnt lie it or what ever it is one solution....

At present it doesn't matter what the source is, the AVR does not support having the dual HDMI outs in play.  My other sources apart from the FoxTel IQ4 box is an Apple 4K TV and the Oppo 203 UHD player. 

Thanks to all so far for their ideas.  I have contacted Ambertech support and was forwarded to the technical support person but he is 'away from his desk'.  Have now called twice and left messages.  I am already getting the feeling this may take a while ....

Ambertech support just got back to me .... good on them for getting back within 30 minutes.  I have been advised that it could be an issue of a projector 'hot plate' issue, whatever that is.   The support guy will do some research and then report back to me.   I also need to get a 4K compliant HDMI splitter to properly test my situation (my splitter is not 4K compliant).  I will buy a new splitter and then report back.

• Like 2

Just now, Quark said:

It should be bit perfect as there's no conversion going on.

Guess what ....  I just purchased a HDMI splitter that was supposed to be 4K compliant.

With both the TV and projector connected to the HDMI splitter (and hence just ONE HDMI cable to the AVR OUT), I can get a picture from the TV from any source (hooray).  BUT and its a big but, it will not pass a 4K signal.  For example, the 4K channel will NOT display on the TV and a UHD disc will only be displayed in 1080p.

The biggest downside is the same UHD disc will just NOT display through the projector !!!   So perhaps I have a DUD HDMI splitter ?!!??  Remember before that the projector would operate flawlessly when NOT using the HDMI splitter.

Do I ask for a refund on the HDMI splitter ?  Here is the splitter that I purchased.  It has an in-built HDMI cable, so perhaps that is the problem.

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/632282/ALOGIC-2-Port-HDMI-20-4K-Splitter-winbuilt-50cm-Cable