Sign in to follow this  
Javs

Javs' Theatre - Initial Thoughts and Ideas

31 minutes ago, Javs said:

I'm not sure if you genuinely mean 24/7, but if so that's a waste of power.

You want some circulating air in there 24/7. Doesn't need to be some massive exhaust, just something. This is why I favour the ERV. Uses about the same as a light bulb. Worth it in my opinion.

Its not like a normal room that has a window or is built not so well and is leaky. The air will just sit there and get stale. Being on the coast that air could be (will be) humid. No air movement and humid air = mold.

Just putin it out there.

Have a read of what Dennis says here

Also if you want check out ventilation standards for passivehaus. The house wont be, but your room will basically be built to passive standards

Edited by Peter the Greek

31 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

You want some circulating air in there 24/7. Doesn't need to be some massive exhaust, just something. This is why I favour the ERV. Uses about the same as a light bulb. Worth it in my opinion.

Its not like a normal room that has a window or is built not so well and is leaky. The air will just sit there and get stale. Being on the coast that air could be (will be) humid. No air movement and humid air = mold.

Just putin it out there.

Have a read of what Dennis says here

Also if you want check out ventilation standards for passivehaus. The house wont be, but your room will basically be built to passive standards

Interesting read. Though as for when the theatre is not in use. I still dont see why I need something running in there 24x7, door ajar or open should be enough, plus when the AC in the house is on in that zone, it will also put air in there.

This is not really a discussion about weather I plan to exchange air or not, thats  given, I will be exchanging air. Reading your link looks like I should be aiming for 6 times an hour. That means it will take 10 minutes to have completely new air in there. Not bad at all.

Would you mind linking me to the air exhanger system you mentioned? - EDIT -  I see you posted the link earlier already, thanks.

Edited by Javs

I think I will be trying extra hard to have them put in a return AC line in the room.

On 10/08/2019 at 8:13 PM, Javs said:

I think I will be trying extra hard to have them put in a return AC line in the room.

It shouldn’t be that hard for them.  McDonald Jones do actron air systems?  Do you know what model you’re getting?

i found with our builder I needed to get exact model/part numbers etc. to make sure the thing had been spec’ed properly 

28 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

It shouldn’t be that hard for them.  McDonald Jones do actron air systems?  Do you know what model you’re getting?

i found with our builder I needed to get exact model/part numbers etc. to make sure the thing had been spec’ed properly 

I am going to be upgrading to pretty much the best one with 8 zones, ESP Platinum. I spent quite a bit of time on the Actron Air website and I want the full beans!

We will be installing solar too so the electricity wont be much of an issue.

The one is comes with by default with the package only has 2 zones Model SRA233 . But its a very big powerful unit still, ive seen it in person. But I need more zones, and want the more efficient unit.

Yep ok ... im doing the Actron Que for many the same reasons.  The efficiency on these new models with digital inverters etc seems great. 

The challenge for a return air duct on the two storey house is the limited space they’ve got to run it, and get it in a riser up to the second storey roof as well.  I had this challenge in our old house, there was not enough space in the riser to get another duct through.  

If they build it in the design of the house it should be solvable, but again with a volume builder they’re not going to want to do this. 

The solution in our old place was a passive air return duct .... ran through the bulkhead with a few bends (the dead vent concept) and then hopped it over to vent into the antechamber to the cinema room, and there was then a final vent from that room into the main area of the house.  The final vent I didn’t even bother boxing up, there was no impact to the sound proofing solution at that point.

Edited by Zinzan

Hi Javs,

Just wondering if you've decided on the clips and channel you're going to use. Did you settle on the Rondo 237 clip with 16mm 308 channel or something else?

How's it going otherwise? Any updates?

Thanks