ROON and DIRAC Live

It seems Roon and Dirac Live are essentially incompatible  in any straight forward way.

Dirac say that Roon can work with Dirac using Audiohijack on a  Mac  computer.  This seems sort of straight forward but when computer talk starts my brain quickly wants to disengage.

I wonder if anyone here has done this successfully or has any other relevant advice.

Cheers

Mike

Roon has its own DSP engine and it does not make sense to run it together with Dirac Live.

If you already own Dirac Live on the Mac, then cheapest is to grit your teeth and work out how to use Audiohijack.

However, if you do not own Dirac Live, then you have a choice of either learning how to set up DSP on Roon or getting a miniDSP with Dirac Live. Dirac Live is easy to use and set up and you do not need to understand DSP in a lot of detail to get a good result.

• Volunteer

Ages ago, I trialled Dirac. It simply appeared as a source for Roon. Maybe I had to change the sound settings in my Mac to output audio via Dirac rather than my Mac. But it was native Mac functionality, I didn’t need any other software. 

@Snoopy8  @Sir Sanders Zingmore .  Thanks for the replies.

S8 :   I dont own Dirac Live but I would like to use Dirac Live 2 which is now available. I believe I know enough about DSP to set something up on Roon but I would prefer not to go there . Acourate and Audiolense are Windows and using them would be rather ugly and I suspect beyond my patience levels.

I could set something up using REW which I am pretty familiar with but really the apparent simplicity of Dirac was appealing.

I have used Mini DSP components before ( I have a Mini DSP 2.4 HD ) and would rather not go there either although I agree that is a simple route.

You are correct though there really are limited alternatives and I will have to go with one of them if I want to do this. I am just hoping to find someone localish who has done it successfully or who is computer knowledgeable / relaxed enough to work though the set up.

SSZ : What you say is how I thought things would work. I am unclear as to how things originally worked with Roon / Dirac but Dirac2 unfortunately does not work with Roon this way.

Cheers

Mike

• Volunteer
7 minutes ago, Ando said:

SSZ : What you say is how I thought things would work. I am unclear as to how things originally worked with Roon / Dirac but Dirac2 unfortunately does not work with Roon this

Has Dirac2 been released?Last time I looked (only about a month ago) it seemed a long way off. 

There was some stuff about being able to update it on enabled-hardware (eg emotiva) but you couldn’t download anything to run on a Mac. 

37 minutes ago, Ando said:

I could set something up using REW which I am pretty familiar with but really the apparent simplicity of Dirac was appealing.

I am assuming you are using Roon. This step by step procedure shows how to use REW to measure and set up convolution (DSP) on Roon

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-guide-how-to-do-room-correction-and-use-it-in-roon/23800

30 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Has Dirac2 been released?Last time I looked (only about a month ago) it seemed a long way off. 

Dirac 2 was release end of last year.

I have  been corresponding direct with Dirac. Here is their initial reply

Hello, thanks for your interest in Dirac Live.

We are working on the new standalone version for PC and Mac that will use AU or VST plugins but it's not ready yet:
https://www.facebook.com/DiracResearch/photos/a.611847825532517/2098832546834030/?type=3&__tn__=-R

Until then we can send you a download for testing the latest Dirac Live 2.2 calibration tool (that is complete) together with the 0.9.11/0.9.12 DiracLiveProcessor that is required for standalone use (it acts as a AU/VST host)

The latter is an alpha version though that is limited to stereo playback and should be used at 48 KHz only so that downsampling by the player is required, the user interface might change as well.

Please note that you'll need a player that supports standard AU or VST plugins like for example JRiver, Audirvana (now for Windows as well), etc.

Also take into account that no support is available for this very early build, if interested please let us know,

best regards

Roon doesnt support AU or VST plug ins but in a later email Dirac explained how Dirac and Roon can be used together via Audiohijack . There are also posts on the Roon website about doing this.

I am not currently using Roon but would like to . I could use Audrvana or JRiver with the Dirac Live Processor alpha version but I would like to use Roon and stay away from prototype software if possible.

I was aware of the step by step REW guide but still fancy Dirac process if I can get it to work.

Cheers

Mike

• Volunteer
32 minutes ago, Ando said:

Hello, thanks for your interest in Dirac Live.

We are working on the new standalone version for PC and Mac that will use AU or VST plugins but it's not ready yet:

Yes I got the same reply when I asked. 

I decided to wait 

Snoopy,  All your suggestions are appreciated. I have considered DSpeaker products .  The x4 is more than I want to spend . I am trying to find a bit more information about the AntiMode2 but the owners manual link is down and has been for a while.  Actually I suspect any attempt to reach DSpeaker website are blocked with the expectation that people in Australia will go through DeepHertz..

Not too sure of DA converter quality in this model either.

SSZ, Doest seem much point waiting as it is pretty clear Dirac with never work with Roon without something like Audiohijack in between. 

• 2 years later...