Ondine whatmough monitors

True

you seem to know a lot about the Ondines are those recommendation drives you suggested before close to the original in sound matching, I would change the drivers in both.

2 minutes ago, Glenny said:

True

you seem to know a lot about the Ondines are those recommendation drives you suggested before close to the original in sound matching, I would change the drivers in both.

Glenny

in regard to the original driver, Speakerbits seem to be clear about the Dynaudio (link)

in order to match you need to consider the Thiele Small Parameters (link).  The closer the parameters, the closer the sound, when fitted in the original cabinet.  There can be differences in magnet design, etc. that mean that this is not an absolute.  Finding the original driver is always best but not always possible ?

On 03/05/2019 at 1:41 PM, VanArn said:

It seems your Ondine speakers have been repaired by Speakerbits and that they have been forced to  fit a replacement driver  of an unknown type due to a lack of  original spare parts. Presumably the original Dynaudio speaker has suffered a major fault such as crushed or  a burnt out voice coil.

Agreed, the driver in the photo is definitely not a Dynaudio unit.

SS

we do realise the ondine was produced by colin what tough in 1984 ! that was 35 years ago ! infact his 2nd only speaker produced to the 201 202 headlined in 1980 thats how far back these go. I am not suprised quite frankly there is not much on these even from whatmough. or driver available this is long time gone. I would take back to likes of speaker bits and tis going to come down to best can do with whats currently available I would suggest.... just as what was done back in 2011 when it visited speaker bits back then.... 

On ‎4‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 8:46 PM, betty boop said:

we do realise the ondine was produced by colin what tough in 1984 ! that was 35 years ago ! infact his 2nd only speaker produced to the 201 202 headlined in 1980 thats how far back these go. I am not suprised quite frankly there is not much on these even from whatmough. or driver available this is long time gone. I would take back to likes of speaker bits and tis going to come down to best can do with whats currently available I would suggest.... just as what was done back in 2011 when it visited speaker bits back then.... 

Yes, I think that is my best option.

thanks for the advise  

9 minutes ago, joz said:

Well it seems Speakerbits has now gone. My suggestion is now trying Attila.

I have been talking to Tom from Speakerbits in Port Melbourne, if that's the people.

were are Attila based?

Thats good news, each time I have gone past speakerbits it has been closed,. the last time it looked as if they were packing up.

Attila is in Thomastown

On ‎4‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 8:46 PM, betty boop said:

yes, but know what woofers where originally used. Dynaudio?  

1 minute ago, Glenny said:

yes, but know what woofers where originally used. Dynaudio?  

that was my point...so long ago who knows....best take to someone as suggested...

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/250086-withdrawn-or-relisted-fs-whatmough-audio-ondine-monitors/                                The photos clearly shoe the one piece polypropylene cone with the 100mm dome cap  and the 12 locating ridges for the voice coil, of the Dynaudio 24W100 bass speaker.

I can remember working on a pair of Ondine  speakers that had issues with the speakers and the crossover networks, many years ago and all the drivers  used were Dynaudio models.

Must we go around in circles on the identification ?  Glenn will need to find replacement drivers that are close to  the main specifications of the 24W100 and hopefully that fit  the  existing cutout of the cabinet with little or no alteration needed. If he is not happy with the end result, the crossover network could be in need of reworking.

Edited by VanArn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VanArn said:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/250086-withdrawn-or-relisted-fs-whatmough-audio-ondine-monitors/                                The photos clearly shoe the one piece polypropylene cone with the 100mm dome cap  and the 12 locating ridges for the voice coil, of the Dynaudio 24W100 bass speaker.

I can remember working on a pair of Ondine  speakers that had issues with the speakers and the crossover networks, many years ago and all the drivers  used were Dynaudio models.

Must we go around in circles on the identification ?  Glenn will need to find replacement drivers that are close to  the main specifications of the 24W100 and hopefully that fit  the  existing cutout of the cabinet with little or no alteration needed. If he is not happy with the end result, the crossover network could be in need of reworking.

Hi Van

I have actually found a supplier Busi soft which are a supplier of Dynaudio items.

but only problem is they only do replacement of old for new which in this case I don't have the originals because they have been placed with a different woofers, which I am still working on.

Either way Van, I have appreciate your help very much, I wouldn't not got to this point if it wasn't for your knowledge and your in put. 

Thanks again.

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 4:46 PM, houdinifangs said:

@Glenny

yep ?

0C29D6B0-DF8C-480F-ACDD-61A309F0B4AC.jpeg

hi Houdinifangs

its me again, I have just realised that there is more than one type of Ondines .

would it be to much trouble to ask, can you please take photo of the drivers front view of your Ondines. this much appreciated

Actually, don't bother just realised I can see through the cloth.

Mine are different to yours, how many connection do have at the back? mine just have two, and have ribbon midrange and tweeters. I will post photo of them.  

Glenn  

Edited by Glenny

I have attached some photos of my Ondines which you can clearly see mine are different to others that have been posted 

Anyone that recognises this model, some feed back would be appreciated. Also they are twin voice coils 

Glenn  

Woofer.jpg

Whloe speaker.jpg

Whole 2.jpg

Back.jpg

Edited by Glenny

Glenn, your new pictures reveal an entirely different model to the ones in my experience. The woofer is a Focal 5N402-DB (13cm d ) ; the  tweeter with the Kevlar diaphragm is a Focal model T 120  and the  leaf tweeter could be from  a number of sources.  They all appear to be original for  this oddball assembly and I can appreciate your concern about establishing  the  identification of the speakers used. Replacement 5'' bass speakers of a different make are readily available and you will need to have the Focal tweeter fitted with new surrounds as they suffer from foam rot.

Edited by VanArn
Corrections

4 minutes ago, VanArn said:

Glenn, your new pictures reveal an entirely different model to the ones in my experience. The woofer is most likely an Audax 13cm; the  tweeter with the Kevlar diaphragm is a Focal model  and the  leaf tweeter could be from  a number of sources.  They all appear to be original for  this oddball assembly and I can appreciate your concern about establishing  the  identification of the speakers used. Replacement 5'' bass speakers of a different make are readily available and you will need to have the Focal tweeter fitted with new surrounds as they suffer from foam rot.

Thanks VanArn 

I should of sent these photos at the start, I didn't actually realise until recent that they were different.

thanks heaps, might get somewhere now 

Well the StereoNet world  certainly now knows a bit more about the Ondine series and the variations. Note:- I originally assumed that the 5'' speaker was an Audax, but it is a Focal model that used  shared  parts.  I presume the voice coils of the 5'' unit have been wired in series.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VanArn said:

Well the StereoNet world  certainly now knows a bit more about the Ondine series and the variations. Note:- I originally assumed that the 5'' speaker was an Audax, but it is a Focal model that used  shared  parts.  I presume the voice coils of the 5'' unit have been wired in series.

do you mean twin voice coils 

The twin coils could be wired in parallel for an 8 ohm nominal impedance or in series for  a 16 ohm impedance. There was an arrangement devised by  Focal to implement a form of crossover cct. to cut one coil off earlier to improve the midrange response and this would require a minimum of three  separate leads going  to the terminals.

5 minutes ago, VanArn said:

The twin coils could be wired in parallel for an 8 ohm nominal impedance or in series for  a 16 ohm impedance. There was an arrangement devised by  Focal to implement a form of crossover cct. to cut one coil off earlier to improve the midrange response and this would require a minimum of three  separate leads going  to the terminals. 

Thanks Van

1 hour ago, Herbyj said:

Hi Herbyj

Your a legend, I have just place a bid, I am hoping he has two them to be sure.

They are perfect 

Thanks for everyone involved  

cheers