awayward

New Snowmass release for DirectStream Snr & Jnr

PS Audio have released version 3.0.6 (Snr) for Snowmass OS, the changes in the update are for the PIC code only, so in theory there should be no effect on SQ.

I was on version 3.0.0, I didn't update to 3.0.5 when released, in my system there is a considerable difference between 3.0.0 and 3.0.6.

The later has crisper highs and slightly more pronounced mids, making it a bit bright first up, the bass seems to be better defined, but have less impact, its more in the background, soundstage is slightly improved. After a couple of hours listening last night I think I prefer 3.0.0, I will give it some more time to get use to the change before reverting back to 3.0.0 for a final comparison.

From the PS Audio forum:

There are two parts to the software puzzle in the DirectStream DAC. The first is Ted’s code in the FPGA. This is what makes the firmware a new mountaintop and where the major improvements come from. Ted is normally tackling big pictures improvements in how jitter is handle and how the data is processed.

The other part of the puzzle is the PIC code. This is the code that lets the FPGA interface with the screen and the other bits and pieces of the DAC outside the FPGA. It’s the mundane stuff that makes the DAC usable.

3.06 (and the other 3.0x firmwares) are updates only to the PIC.

I've installed the latest DSJ firmware today. The numbering system for the DSJ is different so the latest firmware in 2.02.

Installed it, let everything get up to temperature. Listened to my usual test tracks. Result. Don't like it......

My take is that it is accentuating the upper mid-range / presence region. Whilst this may suit many peoples's tastes and/or systems, it's too much my situation. It just sounds a bit "hot" in some tracks (Radiohead Weird fishes being a good example).

I've tried rolling back to 2.0 but it looks like the dreaded upgrade bug has hit and it's stuck on 2.02. So that means I need to rollback to a really old version and then "upgrade" to 2.0. Sigh.

Well on the bright side, it lets me hear how good Snowmass is compared to the older versions ;)

The dac that keeps on giving, let’s hope Windom is as big of an improvement as Snowmass was, can’t wait.

Does anyone  know if the dsj will get the update too following  its discontinuation?

9 minutes ago, BlackMX said:

Does anyone  know if the dsj will get the update too following  its discontinuation?

From what I have read the dsj will get the new mountain top.

Windom is looking like it might be a nice SQ improvement.

Here is a review from a beta tester.

One of my favorite audition tracks is by the late Leonard Cohen from his Ten New Songs album, with harmonies (and songwriting credits) by singer Sharon Robinson. The track, Alexandra Leaving, is based on a poem by Constantine P. Cavafy,  The God Abandons Antony . This is a track I have listened to hundreds of times. To say I know it well is an understatement.

Listening on Snowmass it sounds great. Both Cohen and Robinson are in synch and harmonizing as a pair. Switch to Windom and suddenly it’s as if the track had been remastered on better equipment. Now it is clear Robinson is either on a separate microphone or separately enhanced with reverb of her own (or maybe even done at a different time). Clear and distinct are the two singers where before, and on every other DAC and system I have auditioned, it sounds great but it’s not right.

Windom gets it right. And tonal balance? Holy Maloney. Rich, full, and right. Wowsers

Windom is officially released tomorrow, the 2nd in the US, International Audiophile day, we now have a day,  woohoo. But a download link has been released early for those interested.

https://www.psaudio.com/windom/

Enjoy

8 hours ago, awayward said:

Windom is officially released tomorrow, the 2nd in the US, International Audiophile day, we now have a day,  woohoo. But a download link has been released early for those interested.

https://www.psaudio.com/windom/

Enjoy

Finally got home from work and loaded Windom, I’d really suggest to DSD and DSJ owners that they upgrade asap, it is incredible.

Just installed on my DS-snr. Loaded fine, removed the sad card and did a complete power off/re-boot. Adjusted all the pre-set volumes. 
Hit play ; Anni Lennox DIVA.  Smiling, happy man. 🤗👍. Once dinner is over I’ll be downstairs for more listening 🤠👌

Personally I am not sure if I prefer Snowmass or Windom.  Windom sounds a bit more detailed and maybe clearer but lacks a bit of warmth. The Directstream DAC'S are meant to sound a bit "vinyl like"  but I wonder if this update moves it a bit further away from that sound. Just the way my ears hear it - YMMV.